Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-27-11, 10:24 AM   #1
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Why aren't Pontoon Boats allowed in Club Tourneys

Serious question, Why would a rule be in existence for a Club to not allow a Fishing Pontoon boat to enter a Tournament?

I'll hang up and listen
Old 06-27-11, 10:39 AM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumpy View Post
Serious question, Why would a rule be in existence for a Club to not allow a Fishing Pontoon boat to enter a Tournament?

I'll hang up and listen

They probably look at it like a SUV trying to enter nascar.
Pontoon boats are gonna be alot slower, hard to maneuver in tight spots,and harder to float in shallow water....Ive been on a few.

Im not 100% but you also may cause issues at the ramp loading and unloading in their eyes..

Just a thought
Old 06-27-11, 11:31 AM   #3
Mumpy

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I just don’t get it, I mean, with today’s economy, why wouldn’t they want every fisherman they can get in their club. I find it a little hard to believe they won’t allow a boat such as an 18’ Bass Buggy enter a Bass Tournament.
Old 06-27-11, 11:54 AM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My guess is the wannabe attitude of a some clubs. Not all, but some. We're talking about the kind of guys who aren't sponsored, but make themselves a jersey with logos on it so they can play pro fisherman for a day. If they were to get beaten by a guy in a pontoon boat, their ego could never live it down. So that's not going to happen.
Old 06-27-11, 12:15 PM   #5
WTL

Similar reason you can't use a 9 foot fly rod. Just a dumb rule, protecting the field from just about nothing. Anybody who tries to fish a tournament from a pontoon is putting themselves at immediate disadvantage. That is no reason to prohibit the use of pontoons.

Perhaps it is that they are trying to preserve the absolutely ridiculous, absurd, stupid standards of what a tournament fisherman is supposed to look like. There is a class of tournament fishermen who are more clowns than fishermen, dressing up on saturdays to compensate for their own lack of skill. In never ceases to amaze me how what is a man's sport has been degraded over time by people who are concerned with what they are wearing.
Old 06-27-11, 12:16 PM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
My guess is the wannabe attitude of a some clubs. Not all, but some. We're talking about the kind of guys who aren't sponsored, but make themselves a jersey with logos on it so they can play pro fisherman for a day. If they were to get beaten by a guy in a pontoon boat, their ego could never live it down. So that's not going to happen.
This really is the only logical reason I can see as well. I laugh everytime one of our guys show up with new "sponsor" jerseys to a club tourney. Half the "sponsors" on the jersey are their favorite brands. LOL

Our clubs only restrictions for boats is that it has to at least hold two people, be in compliance with state and local laws, have a livewell and must be powered by motor (gas or electric).
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 01:04 PM   #7
lilmule

Has to do with real T rules and many of those clubs are bass.
No cumbersome barges ,no stick stear,and no inboards.
The toon is a great boat for family fun,if serious about fishing a T get a 15 or 16 ft john with a livewell and a 9.9,it does qualify providing a kill sw is on it ,Farly easy to add if not.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 01:23 PM   #8
jasonfish320

Hahaha..can you imagine trying to load/unload a pontoon boat, that would not win you very many friends at a tourney
Old 06-27-11, 01:28 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
Hahaha..can you imagine trying to load/unload a pontoon boat, that would not win you very many friends at a tourney
I have seen people load a pontoon rig just as fast as a full-size bass boat. Just ask Woody about the day he just about got WHACKED by a storm on Patoka. A pontoon started loading just before he did. I was backing the trailer in for him, and I just knew the pontoon people were going to take too long. Nope...they hauled a$$ and we got Woody out about 30 seconds before the high winds hit.
Old 06-27-11, 02:36 PM   #10
Mumpy

Just to add a few replies to some of the posts.

@ WTL – I agree with you 100% and especially about putting myself at a huge disadvantage and it’s a disadvantage that I would be willing to accept because I just want to get out there and have some fun and a little bit of competition to drive me.

@ Lilmule – The BASS Clubs are the exact ones I’m talking about. What I’m ticked about is, what’s it to them if I want to fish out of any of those boats you mention? It’s “My” Loss right? They only have money to gain from me paying in.

@ Jasonfish320 – I would launch last if it would help matters, I mean I’m not going to win any speed races or beat anyone to a spot anyway, I might as well be the last to launch. I’d even be last to take off if that would make em happy.
Old 06-27-11, 04:04 PM   #11
bassinbob

Time to start a pontoon bass club Mumpy.
Old 06-27-11, 10:47 PM   #12
bamabassman

mumpy, i had a pontoon boat once. loved the thing really. it is gret for jsut cruising aobut and fishing is fairly easy out of them too. but you are right, can't get to ALL the places one can with a bass rig or a flatbottom. and i agree with ALL your last comments.

and i would also agree with bassinbob.......start your own club pal. and don't allow any bass boats or flat bottoms, jsut toons.

i have a 20'6" glas rig still. love the thang. but sometimes i do wish we still had the pontoon boat. especially now since lisa can't stay out in the direct sunlight. (kidney transplant. it would be nice for her rather than lug the big umbrella like we do. lol. some here have a text picture of it, it is funny looking but hey.......it works and my baby can go fishing with me.
Old 06-27-11, 11:17 PM   #13
lilmule

Its a great fun type of ride,the rules are their for a reason,one of them its a cumbersome boat,less maneuverable,and protecting their boats not yours,100k insurance as well,covering them or the other person.
Nothing to get ticked off about get a bass boat to join a bass boat club or start your own.Buggy comp .with good ol boys who dont care,run what ya brung some jar T are that way.
You can have just as much fun out of a bass setup as in.
But bass clubs generally use bass boats.You could just join and go as a nonboater.

Last edited by lilmule; 06-27-11 at 11:29 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 11:28 AM   #14
everettvet

Mumpy, The reason for the rule is that it is their organization and they want it. It is a silly rule, I agree, but that is the way they want it so I would look for another group to be associated with.

I belong to a pretty new organization (CAST-Christian Anglers Serving Together) and when we set up the rules for our tournaments, we never even considered that as a possiblity. We used 3 or 4 different sets of tournament rules to try and cover all the bases when we were making our rules and none of them mentioned that kind of thing. We do not even say that you must have a gas motor but I can't imagine someone using an electric only boat on Kentucky Lake to fish a tournament. However, I have seen some of the little 2 man boats with only a trolling motor in the backs of bays.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 12:25 PM   #15
Mumpy

Thanks for all of the replies guys. When I decided to Purchase a Fishing Barge pontoon boat I knew It would change the way I fished, which is OK. I'm also very content with finding some Potluck Tournament during the week or weekend and entering those. Not a huge deal. Just here recently I had the bug to join a club and then I found the club I was interested in didn't allow pontoons.

You are right though, I could very well enter as a Non-boater and probably learn some things.

But, for now, I'll stick to having fun betting my Son-in-Law I catch more than he does, and not having to show up to the dock two hours early so I can start fishing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.