Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-11, 08:16 AM   #1
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Opinions on current setup

Hey guys, I introduced myself in a different thread, but I want some opinions/ advice on my bass setups. Im fairly new to serious bass wrangling and want to fine tune my current gear. I have two rod/ reel combos for now and am looking at a third (after joining this site).

1. 6'6'' Crucial M with a Sedona 2500 spooled with 6lb Flouroclear. Used mostly for small bait fish cranks, wacky worming and weightless T-rigging.

2. 6'6'' Crucial MH with a Curado E7 spooled with either 12 or 15 lb Flouroclear, cant remember which. Used for crankbaits, buzzbaits, T-rigs, C-rigs, and I have been experimenting with pop r's and the like.

3. New rod/ reel im looking at purchasing. 7'6'' Crucial H with a Revo SX 7.1 with 50 lb. Power Pro braid or Sufix 832, whichever I happen to like more. This will be my flippin/ pitchin/ froggin rod. Took your guys advice from my first thread and came up with this setup and I think it will do well.

I fish mostly small lakes/ ponds here in NE Ohio. There is some cover, lily pads/ grass, but mostly muddy or stained water. I do not have a boat, hence the shrter rods and plans for only three at the moment. I dont want to be dragging 50 lbs of gear every time I go out. I have been noticing that the flouroclear doesnt sink, or at least not a bad as some make it out to be. I think braid would would better for the heavy applications. Is the 50lb braid enough or should I go 65 lb? Sorry for all of the questions and that this is a long and slightly random post. I would appreciate any tips/ opinions on my current gear. I have learned a ton already from you guys. Keep it coming!

Zach
Old 06-30-11, 10:48 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Congrats, your well on your way to becomming bait monkey fodder. hahaha I think your going to have an awsome froggin outfit. That will also make a good flippin rod too. Fifty pound braid is plenty. I woouldn't go higher than that. Especially up north here where we live. Maybe 65 if fishin down in places like Florida where an 18 pound bass is a real poss.
Old 06-30-11, 10:58 PM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I agree with Keith. 50lb braid is the MAX I'd go around here. I usually use 30lb.

BB
Old 06-30-11, 11:16 PM   #4
Bassboss

Sounds like you've got some great set up already. However I'd definitely add a longer rod to the mix, a 7 footer with 30, or 40 pound braid would a great addition IMO. Use this as your jig/frog rod/heavy cover rod. I'd go with a MH.

IMO 50, and 65 pound braid is pretty over kill., I've caught big bass on frogs in some SLOP, and never had a problem.

I think I would take the e7 and put it on the slop rod, and put something with a 6:1 GR on the 6'6" Crucial. Something like a revo, or speed spool would be good I think. Just spool the p-line on the 6:1 from the e7.

One question too... are using the 6'6" spinning for things like weightless senkos too? If you are, I'd definitely throw senkos on the e7/ heavy cover rod. Braid is great for senkos, and I think you'll a baitcaster better for them as well.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-01-11, 06:40 AM   #5
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the replies fellas. 50 lb braid sounds like a solid plan. Never fished braid so it is good to hear from a few Northerners about what kind to use. The spinning setup is for my small cranks, bait fish and yeah, occasionally I throw a weightless senko on there and have some fun reeling in the 2-3 pounders we have around here.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.