Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 07-01-11, 06:58 PM   #1
TennTyrant
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default new rad and reel decision

I am going to get me a new rod and reel for cranking, I mainly crank medium to deep cranks and want the best combo. I would like some suggestions on what rod and what reel to get. I am currently looking at the Curado 300e but if there is somthing better suited for my style of fishing I would like to be told. Thank you for any suggestions. I would like to stay under 400 for the whole package.
TennTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 07:17 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you like the Shimano reels, I would look at the Curado 200E5, the 300e is a little overkill in my mind. With the price reduction of the 200E it would leave you a good amount of money to spend on good rod. Might want to take a look at the Crucial crankbait rods, I have a very light one for throwing small squarebills on and it performs well.
Old 07-01-11, 07:30 PM   #3
TennTyrant

I am also looking at the revo wench, any thought on that reel ?
Old 07-01-11, 07:51 PM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am with the T on this one about the 300. I have one I plan on using for a swim bait rod and it is noticeably bigger and heavier. The 200 will do everything you need to do with it. The only big crank rod I have used for a short time was Bender's 7 1/2' MH-M KVD crankin' stick and I liked it pretty good.
Old 07-01-11, 09:35 PM   #5
JerseyFisher

The BPS Pro Qualifier in the 5.2:1 gear ratio is what I use with a St. Croix Premier 7' Med. mod. And its well under $400, probably can get it all for just under 200.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 09:44 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you've gotta have a Shimano, the Curado 200E5 is your best bet, especially at the prices they're clearancing for.

As for the rod, the rod I use for med and deep cranks is a Dobyns 765CB Glass. So far I absolutely love this rod. From Strike King Series 4 and 5 to DD22s to Little John DDs. It'll even throw lighter 1/4oz cranks a decent ways, although I'd suggest a lighter rod for that. I've also throw lipless cranks and small swimbaits (like the Spro BBZ 4" Shad). I'd highly recommend this rod as an all around medium and deep cranking rod.

BB
Old 07-01-11, 10:03 PM   #7
TennTyrant

I think I have got a combo here tell me what you think. Pflueger Patriarch XT Reel, and Powell Endurance Crank Rod 8' Med Glass/Composite 804CB. Give me your honest opinion.
Old 07-01-11, 10:29 PM   #8
BigBassin144

I think the Med power of the 804CB might not be enough to throw some of the heavier deep cranks. Fishing an underpowered CB rod is tough. Check out the Powell Max 754CB Glass. It should be comparable to the Dobyns 765CB Glass that I fish, maybe a bit more powerful as I can't find anything in the Powell lineup closer to the 765CB Glass.

Also, the Patriarch XT, while a good reel, might not be the best choice for deep cranks. You want something with more torque. Which means you'll be looking mainly for a slower gear ration; something around 5:1. I'm actually using a BPS Pro Qualifier in the 5.2:1 gear ration, but I also have a Daiwa Zillion 4.9:1 that I'm debating on whether or not I want to switch to the Zillion or use the Zillion on another rod.

BB
Old 07-01-11, 10:34 PM   #9
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyFisher View Post
The BPS Pro Qualifier in the 5.2:1 gear ratio is what I use with a St. Croix Premier 7' Med. mod. And its well under $400, probably can get it all for just under 200.
This is the same outfit I use, except I use the MH/Mod rod. Awsome setup for your larger deeper running cranks.
Old 07-01-11, 10:53 PM   #10
Tavery5

Here is a good review of several of the better cranking reels in your price range.http://www.tackletour.com/review2010lowspeedfinal.html It will give you and idea of what most people look for in a good cranking reel and how they compared to one another. I agree with BB, a Med power rod is not going to be comfortable fishing deep diving cranks, I would def. look at something at least in a Med Heavy power. Glass -vs- Graphite, man someone should write a book about the advantages and disadvantages of both. Picking a crankbait rod to me can be one of the most difficult rods to choose.
Old 07-02-11, 12:24 AM   #11
TennTyrant

Just orderd a shimano curado 200e5 got it on a 4th of july sale for 118.00 shipped. I hope I made a good choice now i need a good rod choice for a great price help with that would be great.
Old 07-02-11, 12:44 AM   #12
Tavery5

http://www.basstackledepot.com/shima...ting-rods.aspx

Might want to take a look here, they have 20% off of most everything this weekend, the Crucial crankbait rod would be a great match, and you would have enough money left over to buy a bunch of great crankbaits.
Old 07-02-11, 03:12 AM   #13
TennTyrant

I am thinking about pairing the curado I orderd with this rod, Powell Endurance Cranking Rod 7'2" Heavy 726CB or the Powell Endurance Crank Rod 7' Hvy Glass/Composite 706CB
Any thoughts??

Last edited by TennTyrant; 07-02-11 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-02-11, 08:04 PM   #14
woody

I have been using a 7' MH/M glass rod for deep diving cranks. And a 7' M/M graphite rod for shallow to medium divers. My reels are slow crankers 21" to 23" per turn.

I have never used either rod you spoke of, but in my opinion you may not be able to get much distance while casting medium diving cranks.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 10:06 PM   #15
TennTyrant

I am now looking at the Lucky Craft LCM-701MF-Fat Mini Magic rod, Is this a good rod for medium cranking? The price seem good at 149.00. If anyone has used one let me know. Thanks
Old 07-02-11, 11:21 PM   #16
Bassboss

Definitely not a 300e. Way to big, and it's more suited for tossing big swimbaits then crankbaits. If you like curados, go with with a 200e5, much better reel for the application then the 300e. You can also find them for really cheap on close out right now too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTyrant View Post
I think I have got a combo here tell me what you think. Pflueger Patriarch XT Reel, and Powell Endurance Crank Rod 8' Med Glass/Composite 804CB. Give me your honest opinion.
The XT is a 6:1 reel if I'm not mistakin. Definitely go with a 5:1 or 4:1 reel.

I can't really comment on the rod as I've never used it, but Powel has a good reputation for sure. I think 8' is over kill... I personally wouldn't go over 7'6", MF would be good.

Last edited by Bassboss; 07-02-11 at 11:29 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-11, 12:08 AM   #17
TennTyrant

I got me a Curado 200e5 and I am going to order the lucky craft fat mini magic rod to go with it. What is a good line to use cranking mostly medium 3 to 8 feet?
Old 07-03-11, 07:56 AM   #18
BigBassin144

I've heard some very good things on the LC Fat Mini Magic. Here's the TT Review of it. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewluckycraft701mf.html

What are some of the specific cranks you'll be fishing? Most people don't include 3' divers in their medium divers. In fact, I usually consider med divers to start around 6'.

As for line for that depth range, a good 10-12lb mono or copolymer will work good. Sufix Elite or Sufix Siege are the only monofilament lines I'll use anymore. I don't use copolymers much, but P-line Floroclear is one of my favorites.

BB
Old 07-03-11, 01:23 PM   #19
TennTyrant

bandit 200, bombers, stuff like that, most of what i use goes 3 to 6 or 4 to 8 or 6 to 10 feet.
Old 07-03-11, 03:44 PM   #20
TennTyrant

how bout the phenix x12 or x10 for mostly medium and a little deep runners which one?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.