Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 11-11-06, 09:31 PM   #1
dye4metal
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Spinning combo

i was thinking a quantum pti energy spinning reel and a falcon lowrider rod? how are quantums reels? and if any1 can find a pole cheaper than falcons thats the same ill take any suggestions id like to be around 200-210
dye4metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-06, 09:38 PM   #2
PowerBass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Fenwick HMX 6ft 10 im MH Spinning rod, Quantum Energy PTi 30 Spinning Reel. One possible combo im looking at as well.
Old 11-11-06, 09:39 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

quatum energy are a great reel just get the pti 30 the 40 is to big. go fenwick techna av $150ish great rod for the money

zooker
Old 11-11-06, 09:40 PM   #4
PowerBass

Zook, man are we predictable?
Old 11-11-06, 09:43 PM   #5
zooker

very

lol

zooker
Old 11-11-06, 09:55 PM   #6
PowerBass

For Line slap on some 10 lb or 12 lb mono. I like Trilene XT or Big Game.
Old 11-11-06, 10:00 PM   #7
dye4metal
BassFishin.Com Member

alright i wasnt really sure on the line. how are falcon rods tho?
Old 11-12-06, 06:08 PM   #8
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dye4metal View Post
alright i wasnt really sure on the line. how are falcon rods tho?
They are okay. I would go with either a fenwick or all star rod though.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-06, 07:14 PM   #9
Vabass22

Go with a Falcon! They are THE MOST sensitive rods I have used! I love mine, got it for 45$! Stick with the quantum, as they make BY FAR the best spinning reels.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-06, 11:35 PM   #10
dye4metal
BassFishin.Com Member

i liked the reviews on the falcons rods so. but how is fireline vs triline? what is really teh difference between braided. ill be using for moslty freshwater bass fishing. but also some saltwater grouper,snook and such fishing also with shrimp bait. will that setup work fine?
Old 11-13-06, 12:58 AM   #11
Rebbasser

I LOVE my Falcon Low Riders. I used to use all AllStar-great rods, no question, but I like the Falcons better.

Fireline vs. Trilene-haven't used Fireline, but Lizards swears by it and that is good enough for me. Trilene is the only mono I use, so I'd say either would work fine.
Old 11-13-06, 07:54 AM   #12
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
quatum energy are a great reel just get the pti 30 the 40 is to big. go fenwick techna av $150ish great rod for the money

zooker
"Mr Meaty Paws" is calling a reel to big rotfl. I happen to own the 40, and I do not believe it to be toooooo big. I prefer bigger spools, and more line, so I give up a little on the weight.

Lizards
Old 11-13-06, 08:01 AM   #13
lizardsrule

Fireline is goog line IMO. You really have to watch you rod guides however. I've found that if you have any rough spots in it(nicks/gouges/cracks/chips) Fireline will fray quickly. Also it's not the best line for fishing rocky areas. But vegetation and wood I've had 0 problems with.

Lizards
Old 11-13-06, 03:39 PM   #14
dye4metal
BassFishin.Com Member

with teh fireline ill be mostly fishing in stained water and high vegation. not much rocks but mostly just weeds and lilypads and such. u know how so-fla is. any1 have pics of a 40 vs 30?
Old 11-13-06, 09:04 PM   #15
st.croixman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to st.croixman

i wish i could say go stcroix over fenwick but im not sure if i had it all to do again i wouldnt go fenwick
Old 11-14-06, 05:37 PM   #16
Jolly
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I say go with the falcon's. I love all of mine and they fish great. You can get more sensitive, lighter rods but not for the money. Also, I hate fireline. If you use the heavy stuff and you get hung up you have to use your truck to break the line, or you cut it off at the real waisting $5 worth of the stuff; if you use the lighter stuff then quick sharp hook sets (in my experience) have broken the line. Also, I don't know how clear the water you fish is but it is extremely visible underwater and it floats. Plus, the braid is more difficult to tie knots with. Most use superglue on their knots with it but I think that the fish hate the smell of the glue and therefore stay away from the baits. I hate, hate, hate Fireline and have lost some good fish using it. I say big game or some mono like others have said is a good choice. Go light, 10-12lb line.

My soap box is in the closet now,

Hope this helps,

Jolly
Old 11-14-06, 11:42 PM   #17
dye4metal
BassFishin.Com Member

haha thanx jolly
Old 11-16-06, 09:26 PM   #18
Vabass22

Fireline, IMO is terrible. It is like wire, you can bend it into shapes, and it will stay like that. Go with Stren Superbraid. That line is great. PowerPro is also a good line. If I hadnt spent 26$ getting my Fireline put on my reel, it would be in the trash right now.
Old 11-16-06, 09:28 PM   #19
Vabass22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
I say go with the falcon's. I love all of mine and they fish great. You can get more sensitive, lighter rods but not for the money. Also, I hate fireline. If you use the heavy stuff and you get hung up you have to use your truck to break the line, or you cut it off at the real waisting $5 worth of the stuff; if you use the lighter stuff then quick sharp hook sets (in my experience) have broken the line. Also, I don't know how clear the water you fish is but it is extremely visible underwater and it floats. Plus, the braid is more difficult to tie knots with. Most use superglue on their knots with it but I think that the fish hate the smell of the glue and therefore stay away from the baits. I hate, hate, hate Fireline and have lost some good fish using it. I say big game or some mono like others have said is a good choice. Go light, 10-12lb line.

Hope this helps,

Jolly
I completely agree w/ everything you stated. I love my braid though. I cant imagine fishing a T-rig anymore w/out the sensitivity of braid to let me feel those light bites.
Old 11-18-06, 10:11 PM   #20
Jolly

What braid do you use Vabass? I wouldn't mind trying some braid but I've just been raped by fireline so many times in the past that I just can't bear the thought of putting it back on my reels. Sigh. I do like the strength, durability and limited stretch though! I dunno... but I hate fireline. Hate it!

Jolly
Old 11-18-06, 10:31 PM   #21
st.croixman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to st.croixman

strenn or power pro ( i know i was singing stealths praises) but i fished it the other day and well puke
Old 11-19-06, 11:58 AM   #22
Vabass22

Stren Superbraid. I love the 30# stuff.
Old 11-20-06, 09:46 AM   #23
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly View Post
Also, I hate fireline. If you use the heavy stuff and you get hung up you have to use your truck to break the line, or you cut it off at the real waisting $5 worth of the stuff; if you use the lighter stuff then quick sharp hook sets (in my experience) have broken the line. Also, I don't know how clear the water you fish is but it is extremely visible underwater and it floats. Plus, the braid is more difficult to tie knots with. Most use superglue on their knots with it but I think that the fish hate the smell of the glue and therefore stay away from the baits. I hate, hate, hate Fireline and have lost some good fish using it.

Hope this helps,

Jolly

Well I gotta ask a few questions here. First you state that it takes a truck to break the heavy stuff, then you say it light line snaps with a sharp quick hookset? Have you never broken any other line before because you used too much power, or better yet the line needed to be retied but you didn't take the time to do so. Perhaps you didn't retie as needed. You also say that it is hard to tie knots. I assuming then that you don't know how to tie a Palomar knot, one of the easiest and strongest knot IMO, glue not needed. As for visibility, well I won't even open that can of worms. Also Fireline is not a "BRAID", it is a "FUSED" line, and there are some differences in the line making processes. You have a right to use any line you like or dislike. You also have a right to hate a line if you want. However your response doesn't cut the mustard with me. All of the complaints you have seem to be because of lack of using the correct knot or line size, checking you lines for frays/knicks. And if it will pull a truck out of the water without breaking then I guess you know why "I" like it. I already stated some of the dislikes I have with it. But I have fished this line now for about 4 years. All of your problems are due to you not liking strong line, and not doing the proper things IMO.

Lizards
Old 11-20-06, 03:42 PM   #24
Jolly

Alrighty lizard (Jolly pulls soap box outa closet)

When breakages occured I was using a uni knot tied through the eye of the hook 2x. This duo has never ever slipped with any other line I have ever used. My pop uses a polymar not and has the exact same problem.

I apolagize for not clarifying. Most people use glue with braid (even though it isn't a braid)... I never have. Like I said I think the fish can smell glue and therefore stay away from the bait. Nics (sp?) are a part of everyday life in the lake I fish. However constant retying eliminate the vast majority of my breakage due to fish pull. And yes I have lost fish due to too much power; although it occured 10x as much with fireline... say about 15 one summer day drop shotting for buck bass in the shallow trees. I use 12 lb duratuf, big game or p-line for the majority of the fishing I do and never (in my recent memory) have lost a fish using them or on hook sets DUE to line breakage and/or fish pull. Fighting a fish, as I am sure you are aware, is a skill and fighting them on light line is a science that takes many years to perfect.

Next, I implore you, please open up the can of visibility worms...LOL. That is what I hate most about Fireline. It is incredibly visible underwater. The lake I fish has 15+ ft of visibility (believe me I dive in there). Even at 70' the visibility is still 10'. Moreover, it floats on top of the water like a bobber. Everytime I would use it, the stupid bluegill would try to eat my line where it breaks the surface tension of the of the water, thus drawing attention to my line and my bait. I believe that bass are quite a bit more intelligent than we think and that is why most of my fishing is done with light line that has little visibility under water.

Also, I don't know the exact process for making fireline and for that I am sorry; however, that shouldn't matter to the fish, and shouldn't determine whether I catch said fish or not - unless we are talking about visibility. LOL

I now will attempt to nullify your statement that I am not doing the proper "things" when it comes to line and I assume fishing. Please, Look at my Avatar. I am not saying that I am the best fishermen. However, questioning my fishing "things" is a bit over the top. I am a respectable, humble (obviously) fishermen. That fish was caught with 14 lb big game (if I recall correctly), and had I had fireline, I'm pretty sure the hook set would have snapped the line. Also, I saw this fish on a bed 15' down (that visibility thing again). Had I been using Fireline, it is likely that she wouldn't have gone for the bait since it is so freaking VISIBLE! LOL.

Ok, lizard, there it is. I really hope you take this in good humor because I am giggling as I write it. You too are allowed to fish whatever line you like... I am merely trying to save the next brave sole from losing a good fish to your crappy line - HA!

The soap box is back into the closet,

Jolly
Old 11-20-06, 07:48 PM   #25
lizardsrule

Jolly,

We are gonna have to agree to disagree, how's that I take no offence from someone speaking what they believe. I am not a believer that line visibility in human eyes makes a difference, and I've fought that war to many times here.(if you want to do a search and read some of these feel free) If you think it affects your fishing, then it will period! I have fished for and caught planty of fish with 10 feet of visibilty with Fireline fused and Powperpro braid. As for your fishing ability, I never questioned that, just your methods of using Fireline. You can obviuosly reel in a big fish, but so can many others on this site, who don't get the opportunity you or I do. However that doesn't mean they aren't better fisherman than you or I either. Your fish is a real Hawg, my congrats to you on that, but that wasn't part of our discussion till you brought it up Keep catching fish the way you like, and don't buy the Fireline, someone else will. I don't understand however why you would ever use any Fireline that is under 20# test. This line has the diameter of 8# test, which isn't even a choice for me, unless it's at least 12# test I don't use the line unless crappie/speck fishing. Good fishing to you

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.