Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-07, 09:25 PM   #1
newbasser78
BassFishin.Com Member

Default horny toad/senko

i have been fishing with the zoom brush hogs and they rock but i picked up some of the horny toads and also some senko swim tail worms. do you fish the toads and the senkos with the same drop and lift technique as you would a worm or the brush hogs or is there a different technique? also how do you rig the horny toad i am assuming that you t-rig it and should i use it weightless or should i use it with a weight just like the hogs and the senkos i can probably fish with a weight or without right. thanks
newbasser78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-07, 09:49 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Nope. Horny Toads are designed to be fished on top. Cast them out and reel them back in so they are buzzing across the surface. When you get a strike, WAIT UNTIL YOU FEEL THE FISH before you try to set the hook. I emphasize that because if you set the hook when the fish blows up on it more often than not you pull the bait away from the fish. Rig them weightless with a 4/0 or bigger EWG hook. If you can, fish these on a heavy action rod and use braid. I fish them on a Falcon flipping stick with 50 lb Powerpro braid.

Swimming Senkos, on the other hand, you do want to use a bullet sinker, but don't lift/drop-reel them straight in. The swimming tail is designed for this type retrieve.
Old 06-24-07, 10:24 PM   #3
newbasser78
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for the help all the advice is realy starting to pay off. is there a better way to fish the brush hogs than lift and drop adn i have found using the larger size brush hog as opposed to the baby hog i seem to be catching larger fish today every thing we caught was between 1 and 2 lbs as opposed to the smaller 8-10 inch fish we were catching is this a pretty typical result of using larger baits?
newbasser78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-07, 12:35 AM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

For the most part bigger baits catch bigger bass, but that's not always the case. I've caught bigger bass on small baits and dinks on baits just slightly smaller than they are.

Brush hogs, like a lot of baits, is pretty versatile. Lift/drop, swim it, use it as a jig trailer, on a C-rig-no real way to fish it wrong.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.