Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-26-07, 08:15 PM   #1
lookin4fish
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Summer heat

Hey,

Up here in Mass we're about to hit a heatspell of 90+ degrees for 3-4 days. Any suggestions on the best way to fish or does it matter? I had always thought that fish stay near the bottom on hotter than normal days (plus midday). Is this true or am I completely clueless?

E.
Old 06-26-07, 08:43 PM   #2
pbruessow@msn.com
BassFishin.Com Member

Wink

I like watching ESPN and VS while in my air conditioned living room when it's that hotttt!

Just kidding. I live in Florida where it's in the 90's from June until October. It's best to fish early morning or late evening.

If you are fishing in the middle of the day either go deep as you suggested, but near some underwater structure i.e. deep weedline, stumpfield, drop off, etc. You can also try heavy cover which provides shade such as stumps, heavy weeds like lily pads/mats or coontail.

For the deepwater stuff, try Carolina rig or deep diving crankbaits. For the heavy cover, try flippin a 1/2 -1 oz Texas rigged worm or craw imitator. Good luck!
Old 06-27-07, 01:15 PM   #3
bubba bass bigfoot
BassFishin.Com Active Member

here is ohio we have had very little rain, and hot day after another 90's, like you. try shallow, i havebeen mainly wadeing creeks for smallmouths. they seem to be by the bank in slight current. did get a LM off some grass on the bank in slight current, but the water 2 feet out dropped off to probley 4-5 foot, deep for the creek. so try cover in the shallows by deep water.
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 03:08 PM   #4
woshea3001
BassFishin.Com Member

Hi all, I'm new here but couldn't resist commenting on the heat. I'm in Arizona where it has been holding around 110 for the last week. It was 102 at 10 pm last night. We do our fishing at night. We have a tournament this Saturday from 5 pm -1 am.. Even then it is pretty hot. Just wanted to say hi to ya's.. Good fishin...........
woshea3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 06:03 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

aww ya poor thing -it is 90+ in maine- imagine that... *walks past window looks at screw driver hanging in mid air* it is just a tad humid here and 100+

zooker
Old 06-27-07, 06:23 PM   #6
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbruessow@msn.com View Post
I like watching ESPN and VS while in my air conditioned living room when it's that hotttt!

Just kidding. I live in Florida where it's in the 90's from June until October. It's best to fish early morning or late evening.

If you are fishing in the middle of the day either go deep as you suggested, but near some underwater structure i.e. deep weedline, stumpfield, drop off, etc. You can also try heavy cover which provides shade such as stumps, heavy weeds like lily pads/mats or coontail.

For the deepwater stuff, try Carolina rig or deep diving crankbaits. For the heavy cover, try flippin a 1/2 -1 oz Texas rigged worm or craw imitator. Good luck!
Don't remember ever welcoming you to the site, but welcome The only thing you left out was fish the shady areas also, or under docks. Blue bird skies, the fish stay tighter to cover/shade. Cloudy days, they will roam more.

Lizards
Old 06-27-07, 09:59 PM   #7
ROBZILLA
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

42 degree Celsius = 107.6 degree Fahrenheit

It was 42 up here not including the humidex the humidex yeaterday!
crotch pot cooking.
Old 06-27-07, 11:12 PM   #8
keithdog

Over here in Indiana, we have been having many days in the 90's. The pattern that has been consistant for me here has been using crankbaits in mid depth weedbeds. Say between 8 to 12 foot of water. Been taking walleyes as well as bass.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 12:16 AM   #9
hackattack
BassFishin.Com Active Member

aww...its been mid 70's here with no humidity at all...ahhhh(sigh of relief and comfort)
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 01:29 PM   #10
pbruessow@msn.com
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the welcome Lizardsrule! I agree shade and deeper water is best in the summer. Fish early or late when the fish are more active.

P.S.- That's my girlfriend in my logo holding up a pair of fish caught in Sarasota Apac lake. I'm using her in all my logos, she's way better looking than me!
Old 06-28-07, 03:14 PM   #11
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My advice is not to fish during the day. Wait until 8 pm, and then launch your boat. Fish through the night and into the morning. I guarantee you will have more action than you would during the day.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-07, 09:05 AM   #12
lookin4fish
BassFishin.Com Member

Yep.. That makes sense.. Of course.. I don't have a boat, plus my wife would probably divorce me if I spent all night fishin.. May be worth it..

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.