Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-09, 01:30 PM   #1
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson
Default Pflueger=Abu Garcia?

Free Coleman LED Flashlight Offer! Buy Any Pflueger Reel $99.95 And Up And Receive A Free Coleman LED Flashlight Direct From Abu Garcia By Mail. Click Here For A Printable Order Form. Limit One Offer Per Order, Two Offers Per Household.

I realize I just got back into fishing 2 seasons ago but did I miss a memo somewhere along the line?
Is Pflueger made by, or associated with, Abu Garcia?

On a side note, spend 20 bucks at fishusa.com and get free shipping. And they have the Women In Waders catalog for 12.95
Old 12-13-09, 01:49 PM   #2
nofearengineer

Mallen,

There is a big conglomerate called Pure Fishing. This company is basically Berkley. They own Shakespeare, Abu-Garcia, Pflueger, Fenwick, Stren, Penn, All-Star, Ugly-Stik, Mitchell, Johnson, Spiderwire, and some other minor players.

I have noticed some the Pfluegers are very similar to the Abu's, with Abu even using some of the very same concepts inside the new Revos, such as the spool system and the dual braking.
Old 12-13-09, 01:57 PM   #3
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Mallen,

There is a big conglomerate called Pure Fishing. This company is basically Berkley. They own Shakespeare, Abu-Garcia, Pflueger, Fenwick, Stren, Penn, All-Star, Ugly-Stik, Mitchell, Johnson, Spiderwire, and some other minor players.

I have noticed some the Pfluegers are very similar to the Abu's, with Abu even using some of the very same concepts inside the new Revos, such as the spool system and the dual braking.

Good info, nofear! Looking at that list, Shakespeare is really draggin 'em down lol
Old 12-13-09, 02:00 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Yeah, Shakespeare isn't really known for their ultra quality stuff, but I have to admit, they were perfect for my $3 a week allowance budget when I was a kid.
Old 12-13-09, 02:04 PM   #5
MallenManson

Quote:
Yeah, Shakespeare isn't really known for their ultra quality stuff, but I have to admit, they were perfect for my $3 a week allowance budget when I was a kid.

Yeah it's definitely lower end and I've only come to realize just how low in the last 2 years.
With that being said, the Agility reel is actually very nice for a $30 reel.
The Dimension, on the other hand is a flaming POS.
Old 12-13-09, 02:46 PM   #6
Bassboss

Yup, for the most part!

They're owned by Pure fishing! How ever that DOES NOT mean that fluger and Garcia are of the same quality!
Old 12-13-09, 03:26 PM   #7
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The Revo and Pflueger baitcast reels are made in the same plant in Korea. If you compare the two - The STX and Patriarch for example, share parts (Oh sorry NFE you already said that) The internals are similiar but the STX does have a heavier drag system, but 23 pounds of drag is overkill for bass fishing in my opinion, 12 is plenty. Overall quality is very good on both. My guess is that Pure Fishihg designed the REVO series based upon the Pflueger line of small frame reels (Summit and Patriarch), then brought the remaining large frame Plueger reels into the same configuration. I happen to prefer the Pflueger Patriarch over the STX as I've found it easier to get dialed in (and I found them seriously discounted long before the recent price drop to clear out the old stock of STX reels). The STX is a bugger to get dialed in and the professional overruns occurred more frequently, for me, with the STX than the Patriarch.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 04:42 PM   #8
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

ABU and PFlueger are both owned by PURE FISHING, which is not basically Berkley, considering that Pure Fishing is a subsidiary of a huge company JARDEN, which is trying to be avaiable in every pricing point it can be in.

The Ownership of Pflueger and ABU do not drag anything down.Try using what you are comparing and talking about, I can read reviews on Tackle Tour myself,thank you

Most companies target specific pricing points
Shimano even has blister packed items that sell off peg boards in stores such as Walmart and Kmart

Does this drive down the whole Shimano line, hardly, This may be a young mans introduction to that company and if that young man actuall has a job, he may only have a certain amount to spend

Keithsdog posted on another thread tht the brakes on the Pro Qualifier do not come close to the REVo, I hope he used both reels beofre saying that as I HAVE

Both reels are great, I prefer straight Centrafugal brakes
I found the brake on the Pro Qualifier to be close to that found on the Patriarch and Johnny Morris reels, pretty good brake system on 100 dollar reel, on SALE FOR 80
I have lost my enthusiasim for the hybrid brakes

This reel thread also stated that the Pro Qualifiers were on sale because the newer model was coming out
THIS IS the newer model! THE DUAL BRAKES is the upgrade from the last moidel ( I have one of those also)

The Revo brkes were magnetic and work on a different part of the cast, the brake is excellent but not what I prefer

I currently have switched to all ABU old scholl Round reels, with Centrafugal brakes.

There reel parts that can be used and witched out between the Patriarch and the Revo premier, which hints that they may come from the same OEM

Cart 7 from bassresource has built several reels combining gears and getting ratios not available

It really does help, credibility if you actually use or service the equipment some fellas discuss and recomend.I do not need repition of reviews and posts I can read myself, when I am asking for firsthand knowledge.

We will see more value for the dollar as the economic condtions have forced some tackle concerns to eneter pricing points they normally would not try to sell to

EXAMPLES
lamiglass,Falcon.ABU,BPS,and Cabelas are all entering the 70 to 99 bass rod/light with split handles after watching all star do so well with the ASRS and St Croix with the MoJo Line

Last edited by muddy; 12-13-09 at 05:08 PM.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 08:00 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Wow...and the hostility begins anew. I prefer to do all of my trolling in my boat, but to each his own, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Fishing website
  • 2007 - Pure Fishing and Shakespeare Fishing Tackle join forces to form the world's largest fishing tackle company, adding the Shakespeare, Ugly Stik, Penn, All Star Rods, Pflueger, and XTools brands.
  • 2004 - Stren is acquired
  • 2003 - 7Strand joins Pure Fishing
  • 2000 - Pure Fishing acquires Johnson Worldwide Associates, including the brands Mitchell, Johnson, and Spiderwire
  • 2000 - Outdoor Technologies Group becomes Pure Fishing
  • 1995 - Abu Garcia joins Outdoor Technologies Group
  • 1988 - Berkley Fishing acquires Fenwick and becomes Outdoor Technologies Group
You've stewed for months, just waiting to correct me on something and the best you can come up with is this? Yes, Jarden owns Pure Fishing. Read the name closely though...Pure Fishing. Jarden also owns Sunbeam, but I seriously doubt that the Revo STX shares any common parts with microwave ovens or coffee makers. Hence, I made the comment that it is "basically Berkley." (God help us all if we find out someone else owns Jarden...)

No tackle reviews were given here, Muddy, but frankly, you're in no position to tell anyone what they should and shouldn't post. Stop complaining about it.

You even brought up comments made in other threads to fuel your diatribe, which is pointless at best. Any remarks about credibility made by you are really uncalled for.

Can we simply remember what the original post was about? I know you've had a lot to fume about these last couple of months, but try not to let it all out at once, buddy.
Old 12-13-09, 08:04 PM   #10
muddy

Quote:
Wow...and the hostility begins anew. I prefer to do all of my trolling in my boat, but to each his own, I guess.

You've stewed for months, just waiting to correct me on something and the best you can come up with is this? Yes, Jarden owns Pure Fishing. Read the name closely though...Pure Fishing. Jarden also owns Sunbeam, but I seriously doubt that the Revo STX shares any common parts with microwave ovens or coffee makers. Hence, I made the comment that it is "basically Berkley." (God help us all if we find out someone else owns Jarden...)

No tackle reviews were given here, Muddy, but frankly, you're in no position to tell anyone what they should and shouldn't post. Stop complaining about it.

You even brought up comments made in other threads to fuel your diatribe, which is pointless at best. Any remarks about credibility made by you are really uncalled for.

Can we simply remember what the original post was about? I know you've had a lot to fume about these last couple of months, but try not to let it all out at once, buddy.

I can and will offer input into peoples posts, as long as I do not cuss or do it offesively and have proof. I also buy for a give away program, so I get to use a lot of mid level tackle,so as to make sure that we can instruct those we are equipping.

HEY PAY ATTENTION: THIS WAS DIrected at bassboy < not you> the world does not revolve around you engineer person. I have been seeing BASSBOY post reiviews ALL OVER THE SITES I GO TO. I did see the Jarden thing so I posted that to. , ,so please back down this has nothing to do with you, have a cream soda and chill

Since Bass bi\oy called me an ******* and ran,I came here loking for him.
The issue is that fellas trying to figure out how to spend hard earned money think he is really using all this stuff ,when pointed out, and others agreed I sent him a PM and he sent me an *** hole PM GOT IT?

Bassboss; Linked this site for me to come to as proof as he changed his ways, since spamming all of another site with racist rhetoric and getting banned, after I came to his aid. I have the PM that asked me to come here, so here I am.

IF YOU WANT I can show you That he is spouting stuff from tackle tour posts and reiviews as if he is saying it himslef, no quoites no refrence, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU!

Last edited by muddy; 12-14-09 at 12:39 PM.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 10:20 PM   #11
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
I can and will offer input into peoples posts, as long as I do not cuss or do it offesively and have proof. I also buy for a give away program, so I get to use a lot of mid level tackle,so as to make sure that we can instruct those we are equipping.

HEY PAY ATTENTION: THIS WAS DIrected at bassboy < not you> the world does not revolve around you engineer person. I have been seeing BASSBOY post reiviews ALL OVER THE SITES I GO TO. I did see the Jarden thing so I posted that to. , ,so please back down this has nothing to do with you, have a cream soda and chill

Since Bass bi\oy called me an ******* and ran,I came here loking for him.
The issue is that fellas trying to figure out how to spend hard earned money think he is really using all this stuff ,when pointed out, and others agreed I sent him a PM and he sent me an *** hole PM GOT IT?

IF YOU WANT I can show you That he is spouting stuff from tackle tour posts and reiviews as if he is saying it himslef, no quoites no refrence, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU!

Wouldnt know why he called you that.... The only thing he should have done differantly was this , BB next time dont run.

And , just for the record. Where I work , the world does revolve around engineers , and no , I am not one.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 12:07 AM   #12
S4il

I can feel the love...
Old 12-16-09, 06:57 PM   #13
TN_Bassin

Ladies, ladies this is no thread to bicker. Live and let live. And I thought all companies were owned by the government and big oil...
Old 12-16-09, 07:06 PM   #14
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Wouldnt know why he called you that.... The only thing he should have done differantly was this , BB next time dont run.

And , just for the record. Where I work , the world does revolve around engineers , and no , I am not one.
I never ran. I PMed him a comprise, he tore it and threw in in my face!

I tried to do the adult thing, by trying to put the past behind us, and starting over. But evidently he's to stuck up to do that. And I did not run by any means, I have no clue where he got that from?

Well Muddy, here I am! PM me some thing so we can get this thing straighten out.

And remember, this my turf now!
Old 12-18-09, 12:02 AM   #15
1/4 stick

Old 12-18-09, 12:34 PM   #16
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
I'm still waiting my self.

Well, what are you waiting for mud?

Last edited by Bassboss; 12-18-09 at 12:47 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-09, 03:06 PM   #17
Cavs1123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post

awesome emoticon!
Old 12-20-09, 03:30 AM   #18
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Wow, too rich for my blood, I just wanted to know what pure fishing was up to.

P. S. the world doesn't revolve around nofear, but i bet if you threw a small model of it at him it would make a lap or two. all in good fun man.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 12:43 AM   #19
bassboogieman

Are you suggesting NFE generates his own GRAVITY, that objects thrown in his direction will fall into orbit?
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 03:33 AM   #20
BassinID

could have been pokeing at that
Old 12-22-09, 09:23 AM   #21
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Old 12-22-09, 10:48 AM   #22
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
P. S. the world doesn't revolve around nofear, but i bet if you threw a small model of it at him it would make a lap or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Are you suggesting NFE generates his own GRAVITY, that objects thrown in his direction will fall into orbit?
Hey man...we all generate our own gravity. It just so happens I generate a wee bit more than the average human.

The odd thing is...bass seem to be immune to my gravity.
Old 12-22-09, 07:04 PM   #23
BassinID

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Nice
Old 12-25-09, 12:11 PM   #24
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Yup, for the most part!

They're owned by Pure fishing! How ever that DOES NOT mean that fluger and Garcia are of the same quality!

Don't start runnin down Pflueger, Bb. I happen to be so happy with my Supreme spinning reel, that I'll be getting another to replace the Daiwa Exceler i own
Old 12-25-09, 12:20 PM   #25
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
ABU and PFlueger are both owned by PURE FISHING, which is not basically Berkley, considering that Pure Fishing is a subsidiary of a huge company JARDEN, which is trying to be avaiable in every pricing point it can be in.

The Ownership of Pflueger and ABU do not drag anything down.Try using what you are comparing and talking about, I can read reviews on Tackle Tour myself,thank you

Most companies target specific pricing points
Shimano even has blister packed items that sell off peg boards in stores such as Walmart and Kmart

Does this drive down the whole Shimano line, hardly, This may be a young mans introduction to that company and if that young man actuall has a job, he may only have a certain amount to spend

Keithsdog posted on another thread tht the brakes on the Pro Qualifier do not come close to the REVo, I hope he used both reels beofre saying that as I HAVE

Both reels are great, I prefer straight Centrafugal brakes
I found the brake on the Pro Qualifier to be close to that found on the Patriarch and Johnny Morris reels, pretty good brake system on 100 dollar reel, on SALE FOR 80
I have lost my enthusiasim for the hybrid brakes

This reel thread also stated that the Pro Qualifiers were on sale because the newer model was coming out
THIS IS the newer model! THE DUAL BRAKES is the upgrade from the last moidel ( I have one of those also)

The Revo brkes were magnetic and work on a different part of the cast, the brake is excellent but not what I prefer

I currently have switched to all ABU old scholl Round reels, with Centrafugal brakes.

There reel parts that can be used and witched out between the Patriarch and the Revo premier, which hints that they may come from the same OEM

Cart 7 from bassresource has built several reels combining gears and getting ratios not available

It really does help, credibility if you actually use or service the equipment some fellas discuss and recomend.I do not need repition of reviews and posts I can read myself, when I am asking for firsthand knowledge.

We will see more value for the dollar as the economic condtions have forced some tackle concerns to eneter pricing points they normally would not try to sell to

EXAMPLES
lamiglass,Falcon.ABU,BPS,and Cabelas are all entering the 70 to 99 bass rod/light with split handles after watching all star do so well with the ASRS and St Croix with the MoJo Line

I'm assuming this post was directed at me, since I made the "dragging down" comment.
First of all, Shakespeare is, for the most part, garbage. And I didn't read reviews to come to this conclusion. In fact, I currently have a Daiwa Exceler, Pflueger Supreme and Shakespeare spinning reel sitting on my desk. The Shakespeare Agility is a totally unbalanced reel, even without being compared to the others, and to this point, the Agility is the best Shakespeare product I've found. With that being said, it's still dragging the overall company down.
Not really sure why you felt this was a knicker twisting subject

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.