Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 06-02-11, 08:04 PM   #1
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default just got the biggest catch of my life!!

so i was out bank fishing tonight after work, using my zebco 33 with 14lb test, my lure was a pink whistler jig with a 4inch salty pumpkin worm and i had this on a jig spinner (ive always called them beetle spins). i always do really well catching bass on this lure so i took it to our local sportsmens club pond that im very familiar with. i cast out and bring in a 1lb 9oz bass, im thinkin alright this is gonna be a good night, next thing i know i hook into the biggest snapping turtle ive ever seen!!! it didnt fight too much but i could definitely tell it was not a log or a tree limb. im thinking to myself "omg this is the 1, this is the wall hanger" then i c its head. im like great im gonna lose this lure. i was gonna grab his tail and take him home but he spit my lure b4 i had a chance. this was the 1st time ive ever caught a turtle and man was it a tank, i thought for sure the rod was gonna snap haha. i did end up catching 2 more bass after that but the rest of the time i fished that turtle kept coming to the top of the water and staring me down. just thought id share my story with u guys. i am gonna have to find a better way to get my jig on a jig spinner bc the tiny clasp opens up every time u catch a decent fish.
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 08:25 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Many of us have had a snapper on at one time or another and they're quite the fight!!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-11, 08:36 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Snappin turtles are not smart.. or very fun to get the hook out of. However they are fun to fight lol! They always get me hopping for a hog when I hook one, lol!
Old 06-02-11, 09:27 PM   #4
Apt79
BassFishin.Com Member

That happen to me once and I wasnt trying to get the hook out so I cut the line, great fight though.
Apt79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-11, 07:20 AM   #5
keithdog

Funny story about the snapper. haha Had a snapper eat a whole stringer of gills on me once. That really ticked me off. You might want to go online to Cabelas and BPS. I think you can find stronger clip on spinner arms in the salt water fishing section. They are available in sizes that can be used with bass fishing. You can also find stronger spinner arms at lurepartsonline.com
Old 06-04-11, 06:23 PM   #6
oglejust

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Funny story about the snapper. haha Had a snapper eat a whole stringer of gills on me once. That really ticked me off. You might want to go online to Cabelas and BPS. I think you can find stronger clip on spinner arms in the salt water fishing section. They are available in sizes that can be used with bass fishing. You can also find stronger spinner arms at lurepartsonline.com
thank you! ill definitely look into the stronger spinner. and yeah ive been worried about my stringer of bluegills getting eatin so ive been using a basket instead.
Old 06-04-11, 11:12 PM   #7
WTL

Time to dust off the story about one night hooking a 5 foot gator under some fish lights. Didn't see the strike, so you can imagine what I thought when I set the hook. Very powerful, but I won the fight and got him to the dock.
Old 06-05-11, 12:29 AM   #8
cassidyta

Cool story. One of our lakes has some cattle grazing areas that touch the water. I saw my partner hook an Angus that was drinking from the lake. We didn't land it but my buddy wanted me to go get his crank. I don't think the bull even noticed but it still was not happening.
Old 06-06-11, 07:27 AM   #9
lilmule

Hmmm that would be one cranky bull no doubt.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-11, 10:16 AM   #10
docirv

Send a message via Skype™ to docirv

Sounds like a lot of bull to me....
Old 06-07-11, 10:09 AM   #11
Top Tiger

My granddad would go for turtles on purpose. They make for a great stew.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 10:59 PM   #12
oglejust

good stories guys! id like to find some1 that wants 1 and then i can catch it and learn how to clean it.
Old 06-08-11, 08:37 AM   #13
Top Tiger

They are easy to clean. Cut the head off to kill it then just cut the legs off at the shoulders and you're done. 99% of the meat is in the legs. Be sure to do it in that order though. They tend to get a might cranky if you change the sequence. Good eatin'.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 09:14 PM   #14
oglejust

but i hear theres a "backstrap" thats the best part
Old 07-03-11, 12:11 PM   #15
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

when catfishing this will happen to me, one several instances i have pulled nice ones, one night i pulled one it that was ungodly big.. everyone around got there knives out and wanted to kill, i told them no, who am to kill an animal that was probably older than me, when i catch them, just ley em go.. i muck with reptiles all the time so i guess it didn't bother me, lol everyone slese though i was crazy
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.