Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-11, 09:53 AM   #1
LeBron_Hill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Tundra owners step inside please...

I figured that since this was in regards to towing my boat that it would fit in here...I have a 2006 dodge 3500 dually that I have been towing my 16ft stratos with (yeah its overkill). I have it up for sale and I am going to be in the market for another truck. I have been looking at 2007-2009 Toyota Tundra pickups. I would want the one with the 5.7l engine. I have heard many stories about the fuel mileage on these trucks. Some people say they get 14 mpg and some say that they get 19 mpg. Would like to get some input from some actual Tundra owners...If you guys dont mind post up the fuel mileage that ur truck gets (city/hwy) and the specs on your truck like year, 2wd/4wd, gear ratio, towing package, etc. Thanks alot guys.
LeBron_Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 10:35 AM   #2
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

08 Tundra, SR5, TRD Offroad 4X4, 5.7 L, Double Cab, Timberline Mica

Pulling my boat - 14 Hwy
Not pulling - 18 Hwy

I do notice a difference when I run Ethanol however. I lose about 2 mpg across the board compared to running regular unleaded.

Mine now has 24K on it. I have owned just about every other brand out there and I will never own a different brand again. I am beyond happy with mine, and for the first time in my life, I have ZERO complaints.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 10:59 AM   #3
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Make sure you stick to the older ones... that new one is uglier than sin.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 01:07 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

chevy------TRUCK OF THE YEAR!

i own a 1997 chevy Z-71, i usually get around 17 hwy, and it has over 160,00 miles on it, but towing a 20'6" glass rig i probaly only get bout 11 mpg. my rig is HEAVY and i have a LOT of stuff in it too boot. also i have MOUNTAINS i climb up and down every time i go fishing. so ya gotta figure that in too.

IF i could buy a new truck, it would be the new chevy. i DO like the fords though. they have a nice towing truck. never even looked at toyota. like walker said............IT'S U-G-L-Y. dodge? so ugly it hurts to look at it too. and i am an OLD MOPAR fan. but i like the muscle cars of yesteryear. titan? ain't looked at it either. again, ugly. just my 2 worthless pennies for ya to knaw on pal.
Old 06-12-11, 02:27 PM   #5
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkeraviator View Post
Make sure you stick to the older ones... that new one is uglier than sin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post

i own a 1997 chevy Z-71, i usually get around 17 hwy, and it has over 160,00 miles on it, but towing a 20'6" glass rig i probaly only get bout 11 mpg. my rig is HEAVY and i have a LOT of stuff in it too boot. also i have MOUNTAINS i climb up and down every time i go fishing. so ya gotta figure that in too.

IF i could buy a new truck, it would be the new chevy. i DO like the fords though. they have a nice towing truck. never even looked at toyota. like walker said............IT'S U-G-L-Y. dodge? so ugly it hurts to look at it too. and i am an OLD MOPAR fan. but i like the muscle cars of yesteryear. titan? ain't looked at it either. again, ugly. just my 2 worthless pennies for ya to knaw on pal.
Thanks for answering his question.
Old 06-12-11, 02:55 PM   #6
walkeraviator

I work with a guy who went from a Silverado to a Tundra and swears he will never go back. I have never heard anything bad said about a toyota truck. My resistance to buying them is that they are not an American Company. And thanks to the recent bankruptcies and taking handouts from uncle Sam, I wont buy anything but Ford products for the foreseeable future.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 03:43 PM   #7
AUFred

My 2005 Tundra is a 2WD and the big V-8. I get about 15 0r 16 to the gallon. Better mileage if I am strictly highway miles for a full tank.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 06:01 PM   #8
LeBron_Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
08 Tundra, SR5, TRD Offroad 4X4, 5.7 L, Double Cab, Timberline Mica

Pulling my boat - 14 Hwy
Not pulling - 18 Hwy

I do notice a difference when I run Ethanol however. I lose about 2 mpg across the board compared to running regular unleaded.

Mine now has 24K on it. I have owned just about every other brand out there and I will never own a different brand again. I am beyond happy with mine, and for the first time in my life, I have ZERO complaints.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I also like the looks of the newer model gmc sierra trucks but Im leaning towards the Tundra. I know that there has to be alot more guys on here running these trucks...I want to thank the rest of you guys for your input as well...keep it coming!
Old 06-12-11, 06:16 PM   #9
IAFrogger
BassFishin.Com Member

You will not be disappointed with a Toyota.... they are as maintenance free as any vehicle made... and they hold their value extremely well compared to other makes. I have been driving Toyota products for 20 years.... nothing but praise for them.
IAFrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 06:32 PM   #10
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron_Hill View Post
This is exactly what I was looking for. I also like the looks of the newer model gmc sierra trucks but Im leaning towards the Tundra. I know that there has to be alot more guys on here running these trucks...I want to thank the rest of you guys for your input as well...keep it coming!
I drive a 2010 Chevrolet 1500 LT everyday as my patrol truck. It has the 5.3 and is a 4x4. While I like it, I am so glad that I went with a Tundra when I bought my personal truck. There is nothing about the Chevrolet that I would consider even slightly better. I was looking at Chevrolet/GM when I bought the Toyota as well.
Old 06-12-11, 08:35 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

I looked at Tundras when I decided on my Titan. The only thing that I didn't like about the Tundra was the way it drove. It seemed like it was impossible to drive a straight line with the dang thing. But after talking to a few of the Tundra owners I know they seem to think it was the suspension or tire package that was on it. I do know that all the Tundra owners I have ever talked to absolutley love their trucks. All of them that I know are getting about the same mileage that CamG said he is getting.

And John you might think my Titan is ugly but I guarentee it will pull circles around your Chevy. And since most all tailgates look the same that part of the truck isn't ugly and that is all you would be seing of my Titan anyways as your Chevy was working it's guts out trying to keep up with that Titan pulling a Triton hahahaha.

Quote:

carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-11, 09:07 PM   #12
bamabassman

hahaha, kory. if oyu like the TOYota, that is fine for real man. everybody has their perference. jsut like rods, reeels and line. i love my old Z. the best reason is SHE IS PAID FOR. i also forgot to mention my ol Z has the 5.7 litre motor, that's a 350 cubic inch motor for those who don't know. lol.

for realnow. the BEST advise i can give to ANYONE is to go out there and drive EACH AND EVERY one of the trucs. drive it like you stole. for real. PUT IT THROUGH EVERYTHING OYU CAN INMAGINE YOU WOULD DO IF IT WERE ALREADY YOURS. look at everything on the dash, EVERYTHING period.

then make oyur choice. if it were me and i had that kind of money to spend on a new truck, i wouldn't. i would spend the money restoring what i got. but hey that is just me. i like the old styles better than the new ones anyway. old man, old car/truck lover. my most favorite truck of all time was my 87 silverado. haha, it only got 11 1/2 miles to the gallon, but i loved that truck. duel tanks (yes the old sodesaddle tanks, very dangerous i know), square body..but it looked MEAN, and like a truck in my opion.

so go out there and test drive all of them buddy.

and kory, why you want to pull circles around me when we going up hill? hahahahaha!!! tht must be a shorthorn way of doing things. BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! KIDDING LIL BROTHER.
Old 06-12-11, 09:23 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
hahaha, kory. if oyu like the TOYota, that is fine for real man.

and kory, why you want to pull circles around me when we going up hill? hahahahaha!!! tht must be a shorthorn way of doing things. BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! KIDDING LIL BROTHER.
Well John I like Toyotas just fine, but that isn't who makes the Titan pal.

And since you are from Alabama I figured you would probably get lost and need me to keep circling around so you could follow me to the lake, that is why I would need to pull circles around you. HAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 06-12-11, 11:10 PM   #14
bamabassman

lol, kory. ok, ok......i give. back to subject.

toyota, titan,chevy,gmc,ford..........drive em all. ok?
Old 06-13-11, 02:04 AM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
lol, kory. ok, ok......i give. back to subject.
Geez, nobody wants to play with me lol. What I didn't tell you is that your Chevy would kill my Titan on fuel mileage.

In my opinion when you consider the biggest factors in a tow vehicle (torque, horsepower, fuel mileage, and last but not least stopping power) you would be hard pressed to find a better truck than a Tundra. I love my Titan but I am getting tired of the 12-14 mpg stuff, that's 12 pulling the boat and 14 without the boat and that is rediculous.
Old 06-13-11, 06:57 AM   #16
LeBron_Hill

I have decided that it will be a Tundra when the time comes...but I think I might test drive em all just to make sure...lol
Old 06-13-11, 08:32 AM   #17
Brute
BassFishin.Com Member

I test drove everything out there before I bought my 2005 Tundra with the 4.7 liter engine.
It was the best riding truck of them all at the time.
I get 18 mpg empty and 14 mpg pulling my boat.
When it is time for another truck I will drive them all again but I'm betting money I will wind up with another Tundra.Other than a lot of oil changes and a timing belt at 90,000 miles it has been flawless.

Brute
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 11:29 AM   #18
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

If you have the 5.9 HO Cummins diesel , you should be smoking us all in mileage with a few mods under a grand. If you have the 6.7, that could be a different story. I used to make trips with a Rig Manager in a 1 ton and he would get 28-30 mpg dry and lower 20s pulling with the 5.9. He had a few mods like the boost fooler and chip. I test drove the Tundra before I bought my truck, but my love for GMCs kept me from purchasing, but it was the close second.

I currently drive a 3/4 GMC Z71 crew cab w/6.0 and I will squeeze about 14-15 mpg highway, and about 10-12 pulling a loaded trailer.
Old 06-13-11, 12:16 PM   #19
LeBron_Hill

Its a little bit overkill for towing my lil boat... Can get a Tundra for alot cheaper and would be a helluva lot easier to pull into a parking spot @ Wal-mart...lol. And yes, it is a 5.9...
Old 06-13-11, 12:57 PM   #20
Bubba_Bruiser

Sweet ride with the Rockstars. I hear you on the parking. I can't park mine for crap I will admit. The 5.7 Tundra was a beast when i test drove it. The salesman requested to get off the gas when the back end started jumping off the ground hahahaha. It's like a sports car with a bed. Good luck on whatever you decide though.
Old 06-13-11, 01:38 PM   #21
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron_Hill View Post

Its a little bit overkill for towing my lil boat... Can get a Tundra for alot cheaper and would be a helluva lot easier to pull into a parking spot @ Wal-mart...lol. And yes, it is a 5.9...
You never said your truck had hips lol.

Yes it is overkill but honestly we all tend to go overboard on stuff when fishing is involved. I do agree though that a Tundra would be plenty of truck for what you are needing it for, in fact all 1/2 ton trucks would do well for you.
Old 06-13-11, 03:08 PM   #22
LeBron_Hill

I could take the extra money and put it towards my "new boat" fund...lol. I bought the truck to pull my 53' race car trailer w/ living quarters. Trailer weighs about 22k lbs loaded. Pulled it about 4 times and the class I built the racecar for was done away with. I have since gotten back involved with fishing and pretty much have given up dragracing so I really dont need the truck. Something smaller would definately be nice!
Old 06-13-11, 03:41 PM   #23
jasonfish320

I have a very close family member who just gave his 2009 Tundra TRD back to Toyota, after 3 Transmissions in less than 40k miles. The last transmission (#4) they decided to put a new engine as well. He is now without a truck and the attorneys are battling it out. He has blown the tranny everytime either towing or plowing. Although this is an isolated case I wouldn't buy one. The thing that really is amazing to me is the customer service he is getting, this is his 4th vehicle from the same dealership and all new toyota's. He bought his first vehicle here and has always bought vehicles from them. They gave him no other options and flat out told him he was stuck with this truck. I would think that if someone bought 4 vehicles at my dealership I would do whatever I could to try to make it right.

I recently picked up a new sierra 1500 z71 ext.cab and I love it! It's a 5.3L V8 and has got a ton of power and the fuel management system which switches from 4 to 8 cylinder seems to help save some $$ on gas. It runs about 16mpg in town and 18-20 highway. The one thing I really like about the Sierra is the ride, it's the most comfortable riding truck I've ever owned.
Old 06-13-11, 07:54 PM   #24
LeBron_Hill

man that is awful...definately not what I wanted to hear! I have done alot of research and I think that I am gonna end up giving the Tundra a try...just gotta sell this black beast of mine and then I can start window shopping.
Old 06-15-11, 10:08 AM   #25
Bubba_Bruiser

Those 5.9 HO are pretty sought after around here if the miles are low enough. People like them and they run them off of cooking oil mixtures. It might smell like a piece of fried chicken sitting around the house, but it cuts fuel cost if you can get in with a restaurant owner. Do a run on ebay or craiglist with it. It shouldn't take long to get a hit.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.