Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-11, 12:05 PM   #1
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Crankbait rod for med and shallow

I'm looking at 2 rods right now and can't decide which one would be better for type of crankbait fishing I do. I really only fish shallow and medium diving cranks. I'm looking at Falcon's composite cranker it's a 7' medium with a slow rodflex or the gulf caster which is 7'6" with med action and med flex. What do you guys think I've never had a 7'6" rod before so I'm not sure how I would like that length
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-11, 12:19 PM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

What is your normal area you are fishing? From a bank or boat? Lot a bank cover, do you have to go through a lot of brush, or is the area clear? My longest rods right now is 7'10" and it is somewhat cumbersome moving it around and worrying about snapping the tip hitting stuff with it. You should gain some distance from the longer rod, but you usually sacrifice accuracy. If you are just long bombing out in the middle of the lake, go with the 7'6". If you are pinpointing under 30 yards, I would go with a 7 or even a 6'6".
Old 06-13-11, 12:30 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
What is your normal area you are fishing? From a bank or boat? Lot a bank cover, do you have to go through a lot of brush, or is the area clear? My longest rods right now is 7'10" and it is somewhat cumbersome moving it around and worrying about snapping the tip hitting stuff with it. You should gain some distance from the longer rod, but you usually sacrifice accuracy. If you are just long bombing out in the middle of the lake, go with the 7'6". If you are pinpointing under 30 yards, I would go with a 7 or even a 6'6".
Yeah, bubba took the words right outa my mouth.

I'm not sure bout the actions and powers of the rods you listed. The seem a little under powered to me. Unless you've all ready found you like that kinda rod for that, I'm recommend a stiffer one. MH F or M F would be my preference.
Old 06-13-11, 07:34 PM   #4
keithdog

Myself, I prefer a 7' medium power/moderate action rod for medium diving cranks. A longer rod in the same power and action would be fine too, as it would give you a little more casting distance. But the 7' rod works just fine for me. Now for shallow water crankbaits I veer from what is often recommended. I prefer a 6 1/2' MH/MOD for shallow water crankbaits. I also will use 15 pound mono line on that outfit. My reason for this is although I will be sacraficing casting distance, I actually am not looking for distance when I am shallow water cranking. I'm looking for pin point casting which you can't get with a long rod, unless perhaps your KVD. The 6 1/2' rod will do that for you. Also, I will use 15 pound mono at minimum because it will help keep the bait running shallower than 10 or 12 pound line will. Also, I will be casting around shallow brush, stumps, grass, piers ect. So I want a line and a rod that is going to horse that bass out of trouble before he gets the line wrapped around anything. As for rods, Falcon makes a great rod, but my favorite so far is the St Croix Premier line of crankbait rods. They load well, are strong, very sentitive and only cost around $119.00 And they are American made with a life time warrenty. I've never used a Falcon rod and THATS the ONLY reason I'm not making a recommendation. I know they make a good rod and guys in here who know their stuff will swear by them. I recently lost a shallow crankin rod while fishing in his boat recently. It got broken in 3 places in an accident. He knows who he is!! haha Anyways, what he doesn't know is that he did me a favor. I'm buying a St Croix Premier 6'6" MH/F crankin rod to replace the broken one, something I probably wouldn't have done for some time had it not been broken.
Old 06-13-11, 07:53 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Recently, I've been paying more attention to the weight of the crankbaits than the depth for the most part. I fish my light 1/4oz cranks on a 7' M/M custom crankbait rod. Anything heavier is fished on a 7'6" MH/"F" crankbait rod. I say it's "fast" action because it is labeled as Fast, but is fiberglass... It does have a noticeably faster action than most glass rods I've seen, but still provides plenty of cushion. It's also not nearly as fast as you'd expect from a Fast Action graphite rod. Hard to explain really, lol.

Anyways, I use 3 rods 7'6" or longer. I've really been liking them. In fact, most of my rods are over 7'.

Falcon makes good rods. The Gulf Caster (7'6" M/M) sounds like what you need. 1/4-3/4oz lure ratings are great all around rod. This should handle your standard 1/4oz shallow cranks as well as any heavier 1/2oz shallow or med divers.

I personally wouldn't want to go much heavier than 3/8oz cranks on the Composite Cranker based on the lure ratings. With a light crankbait rod like that, while it can handle say 1/2oz, it just doesn't feel comfortable, or at least that's how my CB rod that rates similar to the Composite Cranker is.

BB
Old 06-14-11, 01:09 AM   #6
b.a.s.17
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Alright thanks guys I appreciate all your time and information! I think the 7'6" will work better for my situation not a lot of cover where I fish most of the time it's rock banks. I think being able to go further down the bank will be more beneficial.
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.