Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-11, 09:48 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Fireworks and Bass

I'm curious as to whether anyone has noticed a decline in bass activity around the 4th of July due to excessive fireworks. The lake I fish most often has many homes on it. And the folks living there really enjoy their fireworks, with all the booms they can muster. The last couple years I've fished this lake on the 4th and have done poorly. At the same time, lots of fireworks were going off all day, which got me to wondering if bass are freaked out by fireworks the same way many other land animals are. Whats been your experience?
Old 07-03-11, 12:10 PM   #2
Bassboss

I hear ya, a couple dumb@$$ kids were throwing fire works in the water right where I was fishing!
Old 07-03-11, 03:07 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

One of the best nights I have ever had on Table Rock was when a buddy and I were night fishing on July 3rd. A lot of people were setting off fire works and we caught a ton of fish that night, and some good ones too. We weren't fishing reel close to the fireworks but close enought to convince me that fish aren't bothered by them..........Unless kids are throwing them in the water like Sammy is up against, that might cause a problem.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-11, 03:37 PM   #4
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I heard a long time ago on a bass tv show that noise like talking won't transfer into water. Now if you jump up and down in your boat, those vibration will go into the water and be felt by fish. So I dont think fireworks would scare fish.

BUT, usually July 4th means lots and lots of extra boat traffic, which does hurt fishing most the time.
Old 07-03-11, 03:50 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
BUT, usually July 4th means lots and lots of extra boat traffic, which does hurt fishing most the time.
I don't buy into this theory. Boat traffic makes fishing tougher but in my experience it seems to make catching better, especially if there is an absence of wind because the boat wakes will act much like wind and kick start the food chain.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-11, 06:06 PM   #6
keithdog

Ok, well I'm heading out to Flint lake in the morning if all goes as planned. This lake is only about 85 acres, so I'll let you know how I do. Not sayin the fireworks will make a diff but on a lake that small, I worry they could have a bigger impact than on a huge impoundment like the bigger reservoirs.
Old 07-03-11, 09:32 PM   #7
walkeraviator

Id say it would have no more effect than a thunderstorm
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-11, 10:48 PM   #8
lilmule

Two years ago had a T located south of us near a large lilly pad field,practiced with frogs did well,morning of the T we blasted off in dim light flew into the field and found we were surrounded by wading duck hunters .Was opening day ww3 started didnt hurt the bite at all,had lil over 18 pds.Kind of like the african beaters they drove them out of the thick stuff,and gained some steel shot in the boat (spent)What goes up must come down.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-11, 10:09 PM   #9
keithdog

Well I hit Flint lake today and the fishing didn't appear to be affected just as you guys said. Now, the affect of the pontoon owners who seem to think they can come within hand shaking distance when they pass by is another topic.
Old 07-05-11, 08:10 AM   #10
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Now, the affect of the pontoon owners who seem to think they can come within hand shaking distance when they pass by is another topic.
Don't complain! Down here near Atlanta you get the same affect out of the Yachts, Cig-boats and Wake Board boats on Lake Allatoona!! They want to shake your hand at full "plow".
Old 07-05-11, 09:18 AM   #11
mrmuskie5
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I feel like if it isnt a temp change or a barometric change they are gonna bite. but then again im not a bass lol
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.