Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 07-05-11, 07:59 PM   #1
TennTyrant
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What reel for soft plastics

I want to set me up a rod and reel for soft plastics I am going to get a powell 765 or 765 flipping endurance rod but need to know what the best reel and ratio to get I will probably get a shimano but not sure what ratio Help please.

Last edited by TennTyrant; 07-05-11 at 08:14 PM.
TennTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 08:06 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most people prefer higher gear ratios for plastics. Why not get a E7 to go with your E5? You will have 2 reels that you are very familiar with and the price is right. The green Curado goes with the green Powell nicely as well.
Old 07-05-11, 08:23 PM   #3
MIbasser

That seems like a lot of rod for plastics, unless you are going to just flip with it. I have two combos for plastics/jigs. One is a Powell 703 CEF and the other is a 704 CEF. Both are great rods and they both have Shimano E7's on them. If you like the longer rods, I would go with the 733 CEF.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 08:47 PM   #4
TennTyrant

Thanks I think I will go for the 703 or 704 which one do you think is best I want to pich worms craws and jigs and such. Also what do you think about my cranking set up I have the powell 703cb glass with a curado 200e5 for medium cranks 4 to 10 feet.
Old 07-05-11, 09:03 PM   #5
Jrob78

Your cranking set up sounds perfect. I would go with the 704 if you plan to throw jigs much, if not, the 703 is a great plastics rod. I would even go one step further and get the 733 for plastics.
Old 07-05-11, 09:09 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

7-7'4" MH F is a perfect all around plastics rod. Like Jrob said, the 703 and 733 would both be good choices for most t-rigs. In fact, I have both the 703 and 733 rods in Dobyns Rods which get used as my plastics rods.

Anything in the 6:1 or 7:1 range will work fine. While most of my reels are 6.3:1, I do prefer the faster 7.1:1. I personally love Daiwa reels, but you can get some great prices on the Curados right now... OR you could wait until ICAST and see all the new stuff all the companies are coming out with (including the new Curado and Chronarch).

BB
Old 07-05-11, 10:08 PM   #7
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If your first setup is an E5. My preference would be to stick with that line up. I would get the E7 for plastics, jigs etc. I would get a citica to have a mid speed reel for some stuff, or just have the gears swapped to put a 6.4 set in a curado. I would snap up as many curados as I could right now because the general consenses is that the new stuff will be sub par as it's going to malaysia to be built with cheaper labor. They already switched many of the spinning reels to Malaysia plants and customer satisfaction took a nose dive with those reels.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-11, 11:21 PM   #8
TennTyrant

if you could have just one would it be the powell CEF 703 704 or 733 for soft plastics, jigs?

Last edited by TennTyrant; 07-05-11 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 12:04 AM   #9
Jrob78

If standard jigs with trailers are in the picture, I would go with the 704. I would pick the 733 for plastics, you can always get a jig rod later.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.