Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 02-24-13, 09:43 PM   #26
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
Super 6 time....COME ON PACE!

On the other hand, I bet jerk baits will be rolling off the shelf a month or 2.
That and Wiggle Warts.
Old 02-24-13, 10:38 PM   #27
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Man that was an amazing Classic. I have been so busy going to Grand everyday that I haven't had a chance to do much stuff online. Here are a few random thoughts I have on the Classic.

Congratulations to Cliff Pace. He caught them exceptionally well on days 1 and 2 and gave himself a big enough lead to overcome a tough day. Someone needs to tell him that it's ok to show a little excitement when you win the Classic.

I am heartbroke for Brandon Palaniuk, Hank Cherry, and Mike Iaconelli. Normally I wouldn't feel bad at all for Iaconelli, I'm not exactly a big fan of his although I don't dislike him either. However when his trolling motor had problems on day 2 he not only lost some valuable time but also had to fight off all the frustration and focus on fishing once he switched boats with Kevin Ledioux, and spend the rest of the day in a boat that he isn't used to fishing out of. It clearly hurt his weight but he was at least able to salvage enough weight to stay in contention. Funny fact here that you probably would never know is that while he was trying to switch trolling motors on his boat he was so mad that he kept yelling the "F" word and cussing at someones dog LOL. Not saying that is in any way positive for the sport, but when the dude melts down he just airs it out. And honestly with that much on the line, and leading after day one I think we all would struggle to keep our cool with something like that. I just hate that he might have lost the Classic due to something that was out of his control, but it's part of it I guess. Hank Cherry fell and hurt his hand the night before day one. He was in so much pain that while doing an on the water interview in the late morning of day one he fell to the deck of his boat screaming in pain because his hand was locking up. He actually had to quit early and go weigh in because of it. Not only did losing the fish late on day 3 kill him, but you have to wonder what might have been if he didn't get hurt. And Brandon Palaniuk, man where do you start? He seems like a great kid with a great head on his shoulders. He hasn't let any of his success go to his head and he can flat out catch fish. I really thought this was his Classic to win going into the final day weigh ins. He has fished 3 Classics in 3 seasons as a pro, and finished 2nd twice. He is a great stick for sure.

Mike McClelland really killed himself on day two. If he would have weighed in a descent bag on day two he probably would have won. Talk about wondering what if.

You probably heard a lot about the cold temps, but unless you were there you just can't imagine. One days one and two we watched the launch from locations down lake from the launch site so we could see the boats screaming by. The first day we were standing on a boat ramp at the mouth of Wolf Creek (where they launched from) and seen them all run up to sailboat bridge. One the second day we went to a marina about 10 miles or so down lake and seen some really good drag races as they flew by. Both days we were all dressed for the weather and even with good gloves on, we were freezing and our hands were hurting bad. I can't imagine making a 70 MPH boat ride for 25 minutes like these guys were. On day one we watched Dean Rojas fished some rip rap around a marina first thing in the morning and he was having a hard time with water freezing in his rod guides and his reel.

You don't understand how awesome 90 boats following one guy looks until you see it. We watched KVD fish for probably a little over 30 minutes and when he left that lake was rocking with all of his spectator boats in pursuit.

Grand is the kind of lake that usually has a few patterns going on at once. Once you find a pattern you can usually run all over the place duplicating it and catching fish. Once this changes, it's usually over and you would be wasting your time to try and catch fish running this pattern any longer. This makes it even more impressive for these guys to keep finding fish even when their pattern dried up on them. Even though they didn't always scrounge up big bags, they still usually found a way to catch enough to keep their heads above water.

I don't know if you guys noticed all the improvements they did to the launch site or not but man they gave it a great makeover. I have been fishing tournaments out of there for years and always liked the place. But it's now one of the nicest facilities in the country according to a lot of the people here this weekend. They now have enough parking for 500 trucks and trailers, or 100 vehicles. Before the makeover you could launch 3 boats at a time, now you can launch as many as 8 at a time. And the giant dock you saw in the pictures is all new. Before they did the work they had a small dock that you could probably get 4 boats at a time up to. Now I bet you could get close to 75 boats tied up to the docks they have added. And it's just in time too, because I'm fishing a trail this season that is coming out of this site.
Old 02-24-13, 10:41 PM   #28
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
That and Wiggle Warts.
I kinda hated that he mentioned Wiggle Warts. It's not like it was any secret to this part of the country or anything, but Wiggle Warts were really pretty overlooked on Grand. I won a tournament last March on Wiggle Warts on Grand and I know that I was the only guy in the tournament using them. Probably won't be the case now LOL.
Old 02-25-13, 09:27 AM   #29
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Glad someone new won instead of the same 4 or 5.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-13, 06:37 PM   #30
kennethdaysale

I thought the kid from Auburn handled himself pretty well considering. Seemed to be relaxed at the weigh in and got some laughs both days with the cracks about the A-rig and the gayest T-shirt ever.

The contrast in demeanors between Cliff Pace and Ike is beyond stark but it probably wouldn't hurt Cliff to be just a tad more animated.

Maybe too soon to say but Palaniuk may be the next KVD...very impressive. IDAHO? REALLY?
Old 02-25-13, 07:13 PM   #31
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post

Maybe too soon to say but Palaniuk may be the next KVD...very impressive. IDAHO? REALLY?
I would have to agree. The kids amazing. I bet all the other competition is going to be looking over their shoulders from now on. He seems like a pretty good guy as well.
Old 02-25-13, 09:34 PM   #32
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I kinda hated that he mentioned Wiggle Warts. It's not like it was any secret to this part of the country or anything, but Wiggle Warts were really pretty overlooked on Grand. I won a tournament last March on Wiggle Warts on Grand and I know that I was the only guy in the tournament using them. Probably won't be the case now LOL.
I immediately thought of you when he said it.
Old 02-25-13, 09:55 PM   #33
WatterBoy

Quote:
Just curious, how would you know you were the only one using them?
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 12:38 AM   #34
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I thought the kid from Auburn handled himself pretty well considering. Seemed to be relaxed at the weigh in and got some laughs both days with the cracks about the A-rig and the gayest T-shirt ever.

The contrast in demeanors between Cliff Pace and Ike is beyond stark but it probably wouldn't hurt Cliff to be just a tad more animated.

Sure hope so Ken, he's a fantastic angler! Really good to see a new face dominating out there, that's for sure!

I was kinda bummed about Pace being such a buzz kill. Palaniuk was ecstatic when he went over Cherry... would have loved to see his reaction if he won it!
Old 02-26-13, 06:39 PM   #35
bassinbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
Fishermen never lie wboy.
Old 02-26-13, 06:54 PM   #36
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Sorry, I keep forgetting that.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-13, 07:24 PM   #37
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Well, there's a doozy right there....
Old 02-26-13, 09:55 PM   #38
bamabassman

<<looking for the lightening clouds........... Bwahahahaha!!!
Old 02-27-13, 12:37 AM   #39
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
I guess I worded that pretty badly. I don't know for a fact that I was the only one using them. I just know that as popular as Wiggle Warts are on Ozark lakes like Table Rock, they are very overlooked on Grand for whatever reason. Early spring on Grand is all about jigs and jerkbaits, but you never hear talk of Wiggle Warts. So although I might not have been the only guy throwing them, I do know that when I won that tournament I beat a field of guys who were throwing jerkbaits all day and most if not all of them never even dug out a Wiggle Wart.
Old 02-27-13, 01:43 AM   #40
nofearengineer

Quote:
You probably heard a lot about the cold temps, but unless you were there you just can't imagine.
Woody and I can definitely "imagine"

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.