Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-06, 06:47 PM   #1
vagabond
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fluro-carbon question

I've been fishing with these Huddle-bug things and have been doing pretty well with them. But the other day an old guy told me I'd probably do quite a bit better if I switched to a Fluro-carbon line.

I've searched here and searched on other sites and the most common thing I read is that it breaks very easy.

What is the advangage of flurocarbon over braid or mono and what is a recommended flurocarbon line. From what I've read, I definately don't want to use Vanish.

Another question: Is a "drop shot" hook the same as an "Octopus" hook? Bass fishing is not real popular around here, so most of the gear I get I need to buy off of the internet. I saw dropshot hooks and they looked like ones I already have but mine are Octopus.

Anyone else do good with the huddle bug? Here's the link. I bought the trout too, just haven't had the time to tie them on. I've been catching 3-5 pound fish semi- regularly with the crawdads so I haven't been bothering to try anything else.

Here's the site if anyone is interested?http://www.huddlestondeluxe.com/generic42.html
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-06, 07:40 PM   #2
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well, here's a basic deal on it. I've never spooled a reel with it, but some people have. Only place I use it is as a four foot leader in clear water.
Flouro disappears under water, but it kinks and it's brittle. It's personal prefernence...
Old 08-27-06, 08:09 PM   #3
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

i looked at those huddle bugs and those are really really real looking. i also use flourocarbon as a leader, well i use the copolymer, coated with flouro, flourocarbon is vurtially invisible underwater, great choice for clearwater.
Old 08-27-06, 08:19 PM   #4
Vabass22

I have no idea what copolymer is, but gamma 8lb test copolymer is what I use for most of my plastics, unless im in a snaggy area, then I'll go heavier.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-06, 08:57 PM   #5
Bender

I have been using P-Line 100% Florocarbon on a couple of my rigs. I have had better luck with those rigs than the ones with PowerPro. It is probably the different baits that I have been using, but it seems to help. Last week I fought a 4+lb.er out of some deep weeds with 12lb. I have 6 lb. on my ultra-light and 8lb. as a leader on the drop shot rig. The 8lb. is BPS XPS.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-06, 10:16 PM   #6
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Vagabond, I'm using fluor more and more. It has very little stretch, is extremely abrasion resistant, and is invisible under water. I use Seguar Carbon Pro, and find it very difficult to break. For me it fills the gap between braid and mono.

Dropshot hooks are real small-almost the size you see fly tiers use.
Old 08-27-06, 10:18 PM   #7
Vabass22

Thats exactly what I was thinking rreb, kinda like the best of both worlds, if you know what I mean.
Old 08-27-06, 10:28 PM   #8
dodgeguy

i would only use flouro as a leader for braid.
Old 08-27-06, 10:50 PM   #9
micro_mini_angler
BassFishin.Com Member

i do not know sorry i can't help
micro_mini_angler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 09:48 AM   #10
Vabass22

If you don't know, then don't post.
Old 08-28-06, 03:50 PM   #11
flbassman

Easy man.... I agree, but he's new... Welcome on Micro! Va is right, but I hate for that to be the first thing you get on the board. A general rule of thumb, is that if you're post doesn't help a discussion (state your opinion, what works for you, something funny) don't say it.
Old 08-28-06, 08:53 PM   #12
Vabass22

Yeah hes right, also one more friendly suggestion (order), use the best grammar you can, with capitals, commas, punctuation etc. Now if your posts are readable, and it doesn't look like a chicken walked across the keyboard, they're fine.
Old 08-29-06, 05:00 PM   #13
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vabass22 View Post
I have no idea what copolymer is, but gamma 8lb test copolymer is what I use for most of my plastics, unless im in a snaggy area, then I'll go heavier.
Quote:
If you don't know, then don't post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_mini_angler View Post
i do not know sorry i can't help
Well at least he's honest about it. Why in the world are you using some line you don't even know what it is. You state you have no idea what copolymer is yet that's what you use. You don't even know what the characteristics of the line you are using are, but more or less are promoting it. Paaaa-lleeeaaasssssssssssssssse, your about to make my first ever iggy list. Would you control those fingers, and quit letting them get ahead of your brain. My guess is the guy is a regular member, and was mocking "YOU" from your most wonderful, spectacularly insightful post.

Vagabond,

Sorry for the rant, as for your question, there are several different aspects of Flourocarbon line. It sinks, it's supposed to be invisible, at least with OUR eyes, but not neccesarily to the fish's latteral line. It has a lot less strech than mono, and more than braid. Rebasser was correct as usual(that's why he's the "MASTER" ), it's a tweener. Copolymer is a combo of mono and Flourocarbon. Lot's of folks swear by line invisibilty. I'm not one of them, but if it makes you more confident, then it will help your fishing.

Tom,

Pass the bottle, it's getting too me again

Lizards
Old 08-29-06, 06:32 PM   #14
91W
BassFishin.Com Member

I use P-Line and Berkley Vanish on my Baitcasters. I have had problems this year with the Fireline I exclusively fished with before. I have no idea but I think the heavy Weeds here in Northern Indiana this summer were abrasive enough that I kept breaking off. However I tried the Vanish on my spinning reels and that is a bad Idea. It does not have enough of a memory and wants to jump off of them and can really piss you off. I have some braid on them but have went back to Mono with good results since about all i toss on a spinner is a tube. Just try things out and find what works best for you. That is what matters. You have to be comfortable fishing with your equipment and line and only you.

Things to watch for though. The Flouro will change the way some baits, in particuliar topwater react since it sinks. If it knots at all you have to cut and retie or you will probably break off. The low stretch is awesome when you want a good hard hook set and a quick one. I always crank my drag as tight as it can go so a little stretch is good but mono has too much in my opinion when trying to wrestle a 4 pounder outta weeds. Give it a shot and see if you like it. At the worst you will be out 17 bucks. I use 14 pound and have yet to break off other than when it was due to my lack of inspecting the line.
91W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 02:17 PM   #15
bassnman30

With Stren Flouro, I don't have a problem with "kinks" in the line. After a few backlashes, the line works perfectly fine.
Note: I've broken off two times with fish, one was a fish that ran me into some brush, in this case no mono, or coplymer line could stand this type treatment.
The other was due to having an abrasion in the line. Once again no mono, or coplymer could hold up to a fray in the line. Been using this line for years. Casts well, unlike other flour's that I've "tryed" using. All flour is not the same.
Old 08-31-06, 08:00 PM   #16
Vabass22

Lizards, I have tried to find out what kind of line gamma is on many an occasion, but noone knows. I am assuming that it is flourocarbon (but you know what they say about assuming things). I have googled it, and done many things to find out. If it is flouro, then I was just tryig to help, if it's not, then sorry.
Old 08-31-06, 08:58 PM   #17
vagabond

Default flurocarbon leader

Somewhere I read that braided line sometimes cuts through mono leaders or even itself if tied wrong. If I am useing powerpro and want you use a flurocarbon leader, is it best to attach it with a swivel or is there a good knot that I should be learning?
Old 08-31-06, 09:05 PM   #18
91W
BassFishin.Com Member

palamore knot works well for me.
91W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 10:10 PM   #19
skeeter944

a blood knot or a double uni-knot should do the job.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 12:31 AM   #20
vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter944 View Post
a blood knot or a double uni-knot should do the job.

I looked both of those up on google. They both seem extremely hard to tie. If I'm going to put in the time to figure it out, is one easier to get the hang of over the other.
Old 09-01-06, 01:12 AM   #21
ILfishinman

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

i use the double uni knot. its actaully very easy to tie, you just do an overhand knot around the mainline exept you put the end thru the loop 3-4 times and pull tight and repeat for the other side
Old 09-01-06, 07:37 AM   #22
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
I looked both of those up on google. They both seem extremely hard to tie. If I'm going to put in the time to figure it out, is one easier to get the hang of over the other.

They're both easy. If we were face to face, I could teach you both in five minutes. I'll do my best to explain them to you. For the blood knot, first, lay two lines together, facing different ways. Then, flip a loop, running one line through the other. Do it again, and pull tight, trimm off your tag.
Palomar- Double your line up, run it through the eye. Tie an overhand knot, but don't tighten. Pull the hook through your open knot, and tighten it down. Trim your tag, and you're good to go.
Old 09-01-06, 11:15 AM   #23
Vabass22

It is very hard to learn a new knot, without being instructed by someone, that is ctually showing you. Most of the time, I use a swivel, b/c it not only makes it easier, but prevents line twist.
Old 09-01-06, 03:32 PM   #24
bassnman30

Gamma is a copolymer.
Old 09-01-06, 03:34 PM   #25
flbassman

Quote:
It is very hard to learn a new knot, without being instructed by someone, that is ctually showing you. Most of the time, I use a swivel, b/c it not only makes it easier, but prevents line twist.
A swivel is good for certain applications, but the majority of the time, it causes you to lose lure action. I only use one one a c-rig.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.