Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-13, 01:25 AM   #1
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default 12 year since 9/11

12 years ago today, a group of cowards flew planes into the World trade center, and Pentagon. And another group of brave people died in a plane that crashed before it could reach it's target. It was a day that rattled every one of us. I send prayers for those that died, those that survived, those who lost loved ones, and those that still fight and die to stop those that would harm us. May we never forget that day and remember forever that feeling of vulnerability that few of us had ever known till that day. Remind ourselves and our children to never let our guards down again. Hold our freedoms and the safety we all enjoy close to our hearts and protect it like the precious thing it is. All these years and so little has changed. The people that did that to us that day are still out there, they still hate us and our way of life. They will continue to try and given half a chance will do it again and try to do more damage and cause more pain and loss. We try to help those who need it, and people hate us because we can and do. Let us never forget and allow it to happen again.

Once more, to those that died, those that were injured and survived, those that fight and die to keep us safe, and to those families that lost people and have family fighting they love. I pray for you to have strength and for God to guide you and protect you and I thank you for the sacrifices you've given.
Old 09-11-13, 07:04 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

God bless the victims and their loved ones. You said it all Donald. May the younger generation always remember, and generations beyond.
Old 09-11-13, 10:13 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

Every Interstate overpass I went over/under today was filled with Vets waiving American Flags. Proud of them.
Might have been just a S.C. thing but I hope it was nationwide.
Old 09-12-13, 11:45 AM   #4
WTL

Is it strange that I think we should stop acting as if this is a huge day of memorial, or a holiday?

It just feels like some relive this day each year on 9/11, and all it is good for is pain. What did people do with Dec 7? Is there a time when we become more low-key regarding 9/11, or should that ever happen? Mind you I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, its just that that day was so disgusting, and it seems devoting so much time to it every year is in keeping with what the terrorists wanted...
Old 09-12-13, 01:48 PM   #5
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Is it strange that I think we should stop acting as if this is a huge day of memorial, or a holiday?

It just feels like some relive this day each year on 9/11, and all it is good for is pain. What did people do with Dec 7? Is there a time when we become more low-key regarding 9/11, or should that ever happen? Mind you I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, its just that that day was so disgusting, and it seems devoting so much time to it every year is in keeping with what the terrorists wanted...
Yes, the national pasttime of baseball was replaced with mourning a long time ago. Since the liberals took over, and victimhood became the ultimate virtue, it has been this way.

America used to be in the business of kicking *** and taking names. Now it just builds memorial after memorial.
Old 09-12-13, 09:20 PM   #6
MO_CPA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Kick ***, take names and honor the fallen. I'm 28 and still take a moment every year to pay homage those who died Dec 7, 1941.
Old 09-13-13, 07:57 AM   #7
WTL

Its not that I don't think we should mourn, or honor the fallen. And while I think nofear is right in part, I am a little worried about something slightly different. I am trying to describe it, but may fail;

America has a civic religion. The honor of 9/11 has become one of the cardinal holidays of this civic religion. But to the extent that it is sometimes used, I have also seen the fear and memory of 9/11 abused. I see it abused by politicians arguing for new wars in the middle east (do this, or we may have another 9/11)... I've seen the commemorative plates and coins with the twin towers on them. And some of what has washed in with the respect towards that day has not been all good.

So as a private remembrance, yes, we should have that as we do for Dec 7 1941. But making in a huge public deal...or worse, the cog in a political guilt trip, it makes me nervous. Respectfully nervous.
Old 09-13-13, 10:24 AM   #8
Abbeysdad

Quote:

Like Dec 7th, 9/11 is a day that lives in infamy and we should never forget such atrocities, especially against civilians.

I'd like to share a special thanks to all those first responders that risked so much, worked so hard and/or lost their lives helping to rescue others.
Old 09-14-13, 11:42 AM   #9
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtl View Post
is it strange that i think we should stop acting as if this is a huge day of memorial ?
yes...................
Old 09-15-13, 06:25 PM   #10
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
yes...................
Times 2.........
Old 09-17-13, 03:02 PM   #11
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
Like Dec 7th, 9/11 is a day that lives in infamy and we should never forget such atrocities, especially against civilians.

I'd like to share a special thanks to all those first responders that risked so much, worked so hard and/or lost their lives helping to rescue others.
Didn't say it shouldn't be infamous or forgotten. I guess I just get annoyed by pundits who in weepy voices say don't forget how you felt Sept 12 as they are shilling for you to support one thing or another. Most people weren't thinking clearly in the aftermath of 9/11,a nd trying to recreate that mindset is bad for America. We have replaced reason with emotional appeals. Maybe we did that a long time ago, IE Remember the Maine. See Newtown connecticut for another example of what can happen.

I know the people in this thread are thanking responders, and remembering the victims, which is in no way what I am assailing. I am saying that we should guard against hyper-emotionalism creating a civic religion founded on the martyrdom of those lost on 9/11, and used for improper means (IE, the continuance of the war on terror, and destruction of our civil liberties as a tradeoff for never having to relive another such day)....
Old 09-17-13, 09:38 PM   #12
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Didn't say it shouldn't be infamous or forgotten. I guess I just get annoyed by pundits who in weepy voices say don't forget how you felt Sept 12 as they are shilling for you to support one thing or another. Most people weren't thinking clearly in the aftermath of 9/11,a nd trying to recreate that mindset is bad for America. We have replaced reason with emotional appeals. Maybe we did that a long time ago, IE Remember the Maine. See Newtown connecticut for another example of what can happen.

I know the people in this thread are thanking responders, and remembering the victims, which is in no way what I am assailing. I am saying that we should guard against hyper-emotionalism creating a civic religion founded on the martyrdom of those lost on 9/11, and used for improper means (IE, the continuance of the war on terror, and destruction of our civil liberties as a tradeoff for never having to relive another such day)....
Billy I agree that the weepy voiced pundits using 9/11 to shill whatever their agenda might be is just as disgusting as the grievance industry using the Trayvon Martin tragedy to spin a tired 60's narrative. However........

Personally I don't ever remember thinking more clearly than right after 9/11. The mindset that I and most everyone I met was never more- never more........I don't know exactly how to characterize it.....National.....proud to be an American.....patriotic.....RIGHTIOUSLY(SP) INDIGNANT.

As far as improper means, well..............the war on terror (like all wars) will continue until someone wins or loses, and I'm just as mad about the whole NSA business as anybody, but can't stomach the thought of evildoers chatting away on the phone and net plotting their next mass murder willy nilly just to appease the ACLU and Libertarians.
Old 09-19-13, 10:03 AM   #13
WTL

The war on terror is misnamed, in that it is not an actual war, but an open ended campaign against a method that has been used in war since the dawn of war. In other words, it will never be over unless we are at a time wise enough to realize that you cannot cleanse blood with more blood. That is a tragedy that does us far more harm than good. We satisfied vengeance a long time ago, its time now to let them go to hell without our involvement.
Old 09-21-13, 07:33 PM   #14
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:

I do understand what you're saying, although I think 9/11 is a date we should never forget and never stop respecting

Hell, even my black lab died on 9/11 (different year). Not a real good day on my calendar all the way around
Old 09-27-13, 02:40 AM   #15
Abbeysdad

I also think from time to time that we could turn our backs on the rest of the world and not get involved...Then I remember what the world would most likely be like today if the allied forces hadn't defeated Hitler.

Quote:
The war on terror is misnamed, in that it is not an actual war, but an open ended campaign against a method that has been used in war since the dawn of war. In other words, it will never be over unless we are at a time wise enough to realize that you cannot cleanse blood with more blood. That is a tragedy that does us far more harm than good. We satisfied vengeance a long time ago, its time now to let them go to hell without our involvement.
Old 09-27-13, 09:51 AM   #16
WTL

WWII is not an ongoing call to arms. We cannot use it as an excuse for going to war in distant lands. Remember, the german menace itself was created by unnecessary war...in 1914. The seeds of german nationalism were planted at the end of that war.
Old 09-27-13, 11:01 AM   #17
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Sure you can! As a matter of fact in this case it's the ONLY way you can since that's all they understand. Not sure how "wise" it is to hope they will just wake up one morning and decide they no longer choose to adhere to the "Satanic Verses"

"become more low-key regarding 9/11, or should that ever happen? Mind you I'm not trying to start a fight or anything".....me either ...just my take
Old 09-27-13, 12:04 PM   #18
WTL

Not so, you start killing brothers and sons and even a few daughters and it militarizes them even more than they already are. If you leave them alone, they end up fighting amongst themselves for the most part. They fight who they see. The checynians fight the russians. The kurds fight the turks. And when America is in Iraq, the sunnis fight us. That is how they work. Yes, they have a militant religion, but you have to manage them like you manage any hothead. You do that by not provoking and keeping your distance as best you can. If he hits you, you hit back, but then you walk away after hes down. Hes down right now. Walk away.
Old 09-27-13, 12:05 PM   #19
WTL

Unless you want to kill them all, you have to manage them.
Old 09-27-13, 12:47 PM   #20
joedog

I'm not going to tell anyone what they should do or how they should mourn or remember a tragedy.
Should it be forgotten.....NEVER!!!
Will force ever really change a persons ideals? Probably not. Usually has the opposite effect.
When you have no rights or free will when living.....maybe martyrdom seems like an only option?

Any one group who willingly and proudly shoots a little girl in front of ALL her classmates cause she feels women should have the right to learn, should probably be exterminated....but thats not my call to make.
War and violence is easy to talk about, criticize or even share ideas about.....when you never personally have experienced it.

But,

WTL brought back a saying a Marine friend of mine says frequently......

KILL THEM ALL....and let GOD figure it out later.

Heck I mourn my pets passing away.
Should I not mourn the loss of human life?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.