Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 09-21-13, 07:13 PM   #1
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson
Default Guys, listen up!

This morning, I was all excited about the fishing forecast. Fishing has sucked all season, but today's forecast (my fishing advisor app) was as close to off the chart as you can get.

Headed out on Otter Lake with high hopes. Had a blowed up miss right near the yak. Moved down the shoreline and had a decent bass come unbuttoned right at the yak.
Hooked another one and lipped it. Decent bass, so I tried to take a pic, with the new phone I've had for less than 2 weeks......it ended up in the lake!!!!!

I immediately dropped anchor, and dropped my rod into the yak...with the fish still attached (no this isn't the bad part of the story!).

After looking for the phone for a few minutes, I decided to unhook the bass, which I did.
Eventually, I was able to spot my phone. Stoopidly (in hindsight) I tried to lift the phone with my paddle. Didn't work, and my phone became harder to find!
Over cast skies and 16-18 MPH winds made it too tough, so I drove home to get the GF. We headed back out, and she called my phone non stop (hoping to see a flicker of light underwater).

Couldn't spot it from the yak, so I stripped down and went swimming. At this point, still no phone and serious blue balls!

We'll be heading back once it gets dark. Best case scenario, i see it light up from her calls, and get to take another cold *** swim.

Tomorrow the winds will drop as low as 7 MPH. If I can't find it tonight, my dad and i will take the jon boat out tomorrow.

If I can't retrieve it, it's gonna cost 550 bucks to replace.

Guys...please....take steps to secure your phone while fishing! If you use your phone when fishing for photos....music.....to tell the time....take steps to avoid this.
Hook a string to it...add a bobber.......hook it to the boat...whatever.....just make the necessary moves to keep this from happening to you!!!
Learn from my mistake!!!

If I can help just one person avoid this problem, the 550 is well worth it. Wait.....the hell it is!!!!!! ; )

Seriously tho, I've been using my phones like this for several years. Really never thought this would happen.
Didn't work out so well......
Old 09-21-13, 07:16 PM   #2
MallenManson

Oh yeah, almost forgot.

Once I spoted the phone, I should have jammed my yak paddle into the muck, right next to it.....dog paddled the yak to the shore, and swam out to get the phone and paddle.

Possibly a very expensive mistake....
Old 09-21-13, 08:12 PM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've lost two on the water, now it stays in the glove compartment on my boat or the dry box on the kayak. I'm admitting to stupid as it took two phones for me to learn...
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-13, 09:33 PM   #4
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I've lost two on the water, now it stays in the glove compartment on my boat or the dry box on the kayak. I'm admitting to stupid as it took two phones for me to learn...
Boogie...I'm hopin it only takes me once. HOPIN!

Just got back from the lake. Actually had the GF take video before I got out of the truck (if the phone lives, I want money from Casio!)

Paddled to the spot and the GF hollered for me to come back. Her calls went immediately to voicemail.
Phone was pnly 50% charged when I left this morning
Old 09-22-13, 12:17 AM   #5
Bassboss

I hear ya there Mallen!

This summer I was wearing swim trunks and had my phone in my pocket and was walking up a steep bank and my phone plum fell out and tumbled into the water. Couldn't find it and have been phoneless since!
Old 09-22-13, 07:53 AM   #6
keithdog

Knock on wood, I've not lost a phone in the lake. Lost a rod and reel once, and a pair of prescription eye glasses. But never a phone. I will be doubly sure to try to prevent it now. Really sucks that you lost yours.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.