Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 11-04-14, 09:03 PM   #1
Thornback
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Largemouth Bass

Not my largest bass but caught last week on a wild shiner and she weighed seven pounds four ounces.
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-14, 08:55 PM   #2
mikechell

Where are you? Looks like Florida.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 09:32 AM   #3
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Nice fish! Congrats!
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-14, 08:44 PM   #4
Thornback

Yes, I'm in N Central FL, caught in Rodman reservoir.
Old 11-07-14, 07:34 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Beautiful bass! Congrats
Old 11-07-14, 11:17 AM   #6
mikechell

Man, I gotta get up there. I keep wanting to go to Rodman ... then I pass something on the way that looks fishable and I stop there to put the boat in.
Maybe this Christmas vacation, I'll spend a day or two up there.
Old 11-10-14, 09:00 AM   #7
Thornback

Rodman is a premier bass fishery, but it's large and I have found the bass move around. Seems every time I go there the cover has changed and the bass are no longer where I caught them on the last trip. Plus every three or four years they have a draw-down to kill off the hydrilla and such vegetation. The tournaments always produce nice creels. Best I have ever done with plastic worms was 14 bass. Best I have ever done with wild shiners was 41 bass. Yes, I have also been skunked at Rodman.
Old 11-10-14, 07:58 PM   #8
mikechell

That's why I've never gotten that far. Too many good looking places. If I am going to get skunked, I can do that much closer to home.
There are also plenty of places within a 30 minute drive of home where I can catch fish. Maybe not trophies, but I won't get skunked.
So, as much as Rodman "attracts" ... it's just a little too far to be irresistible.
Old 11-10-14, 08:31 PM   #9
Thornback

I can appreciate the resistance to the long drives. I once drove to Lake Okeechobee with a fishing buddy for a two day fishing trip. About 250 miles from my home. Buddy got one bite and I got skunked. Even Rodman is about a 95 mile round trip for me. My closest lake is about 20 minutes away and I once put seven bass in the boat in 40 minutes. I have also been skunked there.
Old 11-11-14, 09:47 AM   #10
mikechell

Yeah ... long trips WITH somebody can be fun, even if you do get skunked. Long trips by yourself are a waste of time, unless you KNOW you'll catch something worth the drive.
Old 11-21-14, 06:50 AM   #11
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thorn I thought a posted already but I see I didn't.

That is one beautiful bass!

Do you anglers use circle hooks with shinners?
Is it hard to keep the shinners alive when out all day or do you keep them in a live well?
Old 11-22-14, 12:35 AM   #12
mikechell

I only know one guy, in California, who uses live shiners or minnows. He has this nifty live well barrel installed on his boat. When he's on plane, a scupper and drain cycle fresh water through the tank. When he's sitting still, an aeration system and water pump will cycle on and off to keep the fish alive.
Old 11-22-14, 08:46 AM   #13
joedog

Thorn I forgot to mention something few anglers realize,
1/100 of 1-percent of bass will survive natural predaters, environmental stressers, fishing presure and other facters to survive to reach 8lbs in weight. Thats .0001 percent of all recorded catches in N. America....and that is California, Florida and Mexico are included in those stats too.
Side note,
most are females too.
Typically a male only grows 17 inches or less.

Facts gotten from North American Fisherman
Old 11-23-14, 11:10 AM   #14
Thornback

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Thorn I thought a posted already but I see I didn't.

That is one beautiful bass!

Do you anglers use circle hooks with shinners?
Is it hard to keep the shinners alive when out all day or do you keep them in a live well?
Me and my buddies use a "live bait" hook or a Kahle hook, 3/0 or 4/0. I use #40 braided line on a baitcaster. I had a bass guide tell me not to use circle hooks with shiners. If you buy fresh shiners they will live all day in an aerated live well. In summer you could add some ice to the live well. I never stay out all day being age 75, plus a half a day will burn through six dozen shiners with two people in the boat. At $10 to $14 a dozen that's enough spent on one day. My last trip on Nov 14 was with a guide. Two of us used nine dozen shiners and put 48 bass in the boat. Largest was 8.1 pounds.
Old 11-23-14, 01:48 PM   #15
mikechell

1/100 of one percent is 0.01 percent

0.0001 is 1/10,000

Not doubting the stats ... just the number of zeros.
Old 11-23-14, 08:58 PM   #16
Thornback

On the last trip that I mentioned above where we caught 48 bass my buddy got the largest, an 8.1 lber.

Old 11-23-14, 11:55 PM   #17
mikechell

Yeah, yeah, you've convinced me ... I am planning a trip during the Christmas break. I'll probably be trying for a bruiser on fly fishing gear, but I'll have some conventional gear with me.
No bait fishing for me, though. I just can't make myself sit and watch a bobber or line, waiting for something to come and get it. You catch more fish, but it's just a not ... me.
Old 11-24-14, 08:22 PM   #18
Thornback

To each his own. My old worn out shoulders restrict me from making continuous casts with artificial lures. Sometimes I enjoy watching the bobber bounce around and sometimes I free-line the shiner. The shiner jerking on my line and pulling out line keeps things exciting for me while waiting for a hawg to hit. Sometimes the shiner is in the water less than a minute when the hawg hits.
Old 11-24-14, 09:07 PM   #19
Tavery5

Nice fish!
Old 12-12-14, 08:02 AM   #20
mikechell

Thorn ... how do you get onto Rodman Reservoir? If I am looking at the Google Earth photo correctly, there's a ramp at the dam, and one on the river at the other end ... 245th street? I think it was?
I am considering a trip up there this weekend ... do some fly fishing and weightless worming for anything that will hit. I'd like to plan a couple of days camping trip, but I want to "scout it out" before.
Do you have any suggestions?
Old 12-12-14, 09:43 PM   #21
Thornback

Here's a map that will help. Head up to Ft McCoy (CR 315), turn east to Eureka and after about 6 miles there is a nice ramp (8 on the map) on the left that puts you right on the river. From that ramp you can head down river (north) for about 8 miles until you reach the reservoir. Good fishing all the way. Do not attempt to launch from Cyprus Bayou ramp (7 on the map)!!! It can be a mud hole or overgrown with vegetation. You can also drive north of Ft McCoy until you reach Orange Springs. Turn right off CR 315 and go about 2 miles to another ramp. That ramp (6 on the map) puts you in the flooded forest and river where you can boat right (south) or boat left (north) and there are hundreds of good fishing spots. Or you can drive on past Orange Springs until you reach the ramp at Kenwood (4 on the map). Lots of tournaments held from there. Go south out the Kenwood canal and you will enter the large reservoir. Fish anywhere you like. There is a campsite and boat ramp (2 on the map) on the east side off of SR 19. It is just NE of the dam.
Old 12-12-14, 10:40 PM   #22
mikechell

Better than I expected. Thank you, very much, for the information.
Old 12-13-14, 11:48 AM   #23
Thornback

You're welcome and good luck. Afterwards give us a fishing report on how you did.
Old 12-13-14, 05:44 PM   #24
mikechell

It took longer to get there than I thought it would. I put in at the Eureka ramp about 8:15am.
I fished the river until 11:00 with only two hits ... no hook sets.
I took out, drove up to Orange Springs and put in there. I fished until 2:30pm with NO hits. I talked to three other boats and no one had caught more than three and none of them were over 2 pounds. I guess you have to be using live shiners to catch fish.

In total, I was on the road for a little over 4 hours. I can get skunked a lot closer to home. I doubt I'll go back there.
Old 12-14-14, 02:49 PM   #25
Thornback

But you had a grand time and also checked out a new place. Thanks for the fishing report. I too have been skunked there using plastic worms. Also the best me and a buddy did on plastic worms was 14. Best I did on shiners with a buddy was 54. Largest bass caught with a buddy and his 14-year-old grandson while with a guide and using shiners was an 11 pound hawg. Don't you know the grandson reeled that hawg in. I still say there are tons of bass in Rodman, and all the bass are fat, but it's a large body of water and can at times be tough to fish. Plus I hate the submerged stumps.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.