Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 02-29-08, 01:58 PM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Transducer on Jackplate?!

Has anyone installed their transducer onto the jackplate..I've got the humminbird 997c Si coming in the next week and am reading all about how to setup the transducer..I want to do it in a way to lessen the interference, especially since it is a side imaging unit. One of the boat forums I was looking through talked about getting the side imaging into clean water was key and one guy had hooked his to his jackplate and that it was working very well...here's a visual of what it looks like..

Old 02-29-08, 06:03 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It makes perfect sense, but I haven done that cause I don't have a jackplate.

But in theory, it wouldn't be hard just to mount the transducer itself (with some sort of mini, transducer jackplate like mount) back about 4 inches. It could possibly get in the way sometimes, but I wonder if the high speed readings would be improved enough to make it worth it.
Old 02-29-08, 06:19 PM   #3
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
could it possibly get in the way sometimes, but I wonder if the high speed readings would be improved enough to make it worth it.

the jack plate is almost always out of the water when running.. it is differant fer sure.. but not the strangest place i have seen them mounted..

i know of a northern pro who mounts his on the skeg..

zooker
Old 02-29-08, 09:29 PM   #4
Rebbasser

The skeg? Bet that makes for some strange readings, especially when it is trimmed up.
Old 02-29-08, 09:34 PM   #5
zooker

i seen an artical in bassmasters -of all places- a couple of years ago. where he fishes lake erie with it.. trims down which moves the transducer cone ahead and using the depth finder on the troller in conjuntion with the one on the skeg. he gets this 3d picture of where the bass are and he either drop shots or drags a tube..

rembering all that is a curse i tell ya...

zooker
Old 03-01-08, 03:17 AM   #6
carolina-rig-01

from what i hear locating the transducer for side imaging units on the jackplate is the way to go when a jackplate is available.... my ranger doesn't currently have a jackplate so when i got my side imaging unit they mounted the transducer on the hull above my drain plug (note that ranger has a different hull design than the boat pictured above and the side imaging works great but once on plane the depth doesn't work right. a jackplate is in my near future anyways so i will be relocating my transducer.
Old 03-01-08, 10:52 AM   #7
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

UH I aint no rocket scioentist but I cant see how in the world that transducer is sending anything to the unit mounted where its at. I personally would mount it just to the left of the pad on the boat. I know you gotta drill a couple of holes in the hull but for performance that is the best place I have found for mounting one. On glass boats there sould be no interference from turbulence........if there is you have a imperfection in the hull.
Old 03-01-08, 02:12 PM   #8
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
UH I aint no rocket scioentist but I cant see how in the world that transducer is sending anything to the unit mounted where its at. I personally would mount it just to the left of the pad on the boat. I know you gotta drill a couple of holes in the hull but for performance that is the best place I have found for mounting one. On glass boats there sould be no interference from turbulence........if there is you have a imperfection in the hull.
i am guessin that the side imagin unit would only be used when the boat is sitting fairly still as you and i know laser the jack plate is out of the water when your running..
Old 03-02-08, 06:52 AM   #9
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am ignorant on the new side finders. Do they use a seperate ducer for the side fining image??? If they do then thats a good ideaer.
Old 03-27-08, 11:58 AM   #10
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

well, finally after much delay I'm mounting the 997 this weekend...and no laser there's not a separate transducer this one takes care of both the 2d sonar directly beneath the boat and also the side imaging..I still have my lowrance ducer mounted on the outside of the transom and the holes match up perfectly for the new ducer, so I'm thinking I might just try that and if it doesn't work out I will try the jackplate...I very much would like the high speed 2d sonar to work correctly when cruising across the lake.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.