Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-09, 03:09 AM   #1
78glastronbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 78glastron bass boat project

hey guys hows it going.. im new to the boards and thought id post my project..first off my name is matt duarte im 24 and from riverside california im always fishing lake perris, diamond valley lake, lake skinner, and once in a while castaic lake.. normaly from shore or my inflatable pontoon boat..but when i buddy of mine was selling a trolling motor i asked him why and he said cause hes proly going to sell his boat..i replyed what kind of boat and he emailed me a picture and a price tag of 200$ it needs a little work but i couldnt pass it up! well here are some pictures
heres a picture of what it looked like when i bought it. its a 1978 glastron hp-171 tri-hull bass boat

and heres a pic when i finally got get home
and thats a 140hp on the back
as you can see she needs a new floor and carpet but thats expected on at 30 year old boat

i was supprised to see the gauges are perfect!

another thing i thought was pretty cool was this sticker on both sides of the boat..a rick clunn special

i started to ripp out the carpet to get it ready for paint

most glue has been removed

heres a picture of the wood and carpet i bought

as well as some sanding prepping for paint

since i only paid 200 for the boat i just want to do a simple paint job, white maybe green. i will most likley be doing it myself either with a good spray paint or ill buy a gun..but this spray paint test doest look all that bad sooo..

well thats what i got so far.. i will keep updating this thread is i go along. ill be doing a lot of fun sanding this weekend lol
78glastronbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 03:24 AM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the boards. Man, you got a steal. So long as you are willing to put the effort in, it will be a good boat. We have several members who have gone the route you have, myself included in a way. Keep us up to date.
Old 06-27-09, 04:41 AM   #3
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thats pretty cool, wish I could get a STEAL like that!
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-09, 08:55 AM   #4
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Look forward to seeing how it goes for you, keep us updated. There are a lot of guys here knowledgeable about restoring a boat. They'll answer any questions, good luck.
Old 06-27-09, 12:47 PM   #5
78glastronbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys! i was defently lucky that he sold this to me for so cheap.. as you can see from some of the pix theres some kind of clear coat peeling off..anyone know a easy way to remove it? ive been sanding it and some spots come off easier than others.. and another question..since im sanding the boat down..it it just paint that im sanding or is it fiberglass to? im not sanding down to the glass just ruffin up the paint...just wondering if i should be completly coverd up..dont want to get itchy..
Old 06-27-09, 12:51 PM   #6
bcklash

go to bassboatcentral.com -- they got a forum just boat restoration.
hope this helps
Old 06-28-09, 11:57 AM   #7
nofearengineer

Dude,

You got one heck of a deal. That's a good boat too. I fished many, many times from a Glastron Tri-hull as a kid.

How's that outboard run? 140hp on that boat is going to be all the speed you'll need.

Welcome to the forums and good luck on your project!
Old 06-28-09, 01:07 PM   #8
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
go to bassboatcentral.com -- they got a forum just boat restoration.
hope this helps
Welcome Aboard Matt! Great Intro!

Here is a product that may help you with restoring your boats old gel coat.
http://www.poliglow-int.com/

But just make sure you come back to Bassfishin'.Com, please.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-09, 01:39 PM   #9
78glastronbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks guys ya THE 140 outback is going to make this boat fly! it needs a lil work but nothing huge..just need to bolt the throttle linkage back up and put the lower unit back in the right gear with the top...
Old 06-29-09, 12:51 PM   #10
78glastronbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

as for the gel coat it has to be removed there were some parts of the boat where the gel coat has peeled or chipped away due to the sun.. and what a pain in the you know what it is to remove...

i do have a question though... once the gel coat is removed and boat is painted..will i HAVE to re-apply the gelcoat or will a simple clear coat work fine? not to worried about being pretty just want to make sure water wont seep into the fiberglass...im not planning on sanding it down to the bare glass just mainly ruff up the paint.. and im only removing the gelcoat on the top side of the boat not the hull the hull is perfect just the paint is poopy
Old 06-29-09, 01:43 PM   #11
Abbeysdad

I/m no expert but isn't the gelcoat a coating of fiberglass resin...I'd think that would be much better here than 'clearcoat'.

Also - heck of a deal if you can get her 'sea worthy' - seems like quite a motor for a boat that size and should get you down the lake afore you know it - what kindof condition is it in - have you had it running yet?
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 01:21 PM   #12
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

200 bucks!?!?! AWESOME! Best of luck with the project and welcome to the boards!
Old 07-01-09, 12:27 AM   #13
78glastronbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks dude! im buying a paint gun this next weekend so i can get her all pretty again lol...check out these old magizene clips of this boat! freakin awesome and LOOK at rick clunn hahha

Old 07-08-09, 06:14 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

LOL I memebr all to well when those adds where all over the fishng mags and sport shows. Damn I am telling my age now.
Old 07-08-09, 07:23 PM   #15
zooker

hold on to them ads there worth there weight in gold...

a merc 140 "tower o power" inline 6 cylinder.1979 was the last year of the 140 merc they changed to the v-6 150 in early1980.

never delt with the 171. i do know don't try to remove the clunn stickers paint around them..
the stickers show that like a "classic edition" they only made a certain number of these boats.hence rarity..my guess is less then 100 of them were made in 78..

one suggestion i would make is check the steering. if it is the old cable/pulley set up switch to a hydroilic system...i've driven a 154 with a 100 johnson on it cable steer..eeek!!! not fun...

zooker
Old 08-18-09, 10:59 PM   #16
alladin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default thank you matt

thank you matt for theboat

this toy is mine now andi shall carry on updating this project

i am new here and i am hoping to meet many good people and get as much information from the pro on this site

god bless
alladin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.