Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-10, 12:52 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Depth finder question, Hummingbird Fishin Buddy units.

I am really needing to add a depth finder to my boat. As many of you know, I fish from a small 12 foot jon baot and with all the gear I take with me, available space in the boat is a real issue. Where to mount the unit alone is an issue as there is no room on the seats which is where the rods are laying among other things. Also, running the transducer and power cables throughout the small boat could be a real headache. It's rather cramped in the boat already without the addition of extra cables. Plus it would be sharing the battery with my trolling motor, unless I got a second battery, but where would I put that? Then I found the Hummingbird Fishin Buddy depth finders. They seem to be the answer to every small boat owners problems. They can be easily mounted anywhere around the boat, without having to run cables of any kind. It can be easily moved, and does not have to share the trolling motor battery as it is powered by self contained AA batteries. But I have a couple concerns. And therefore I thought I would see if anyone here in the forums owns one of the Fishin Buddys and would you recommend one? I'm concerned about the mounting bracket. How sturdy is it? Also, I read customer reviews in Cabelas and while they were mostly very possitive, one complaint was the bracket. It was said that at higher trolling motor speeds, the unit sometimes would rattle and pop out of the holding bracket. I would think this woould be a troublesome issue if I want to use the trolling motor on high speed and graph out an area of the lake I am interested in. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 03:55 PM   #2
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I haven't used one, Keith, but I've always thought they'd be the cat's bum on my little 8' boat.
I've been keeping my eye out for a clearance priced one, just in case. I've seen plenty of em on ebay, both new and used
Old 02-13-10, 07:27 PM   #3
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I used them Keith, when they were owned by BOTTOM LINE, same units , same brackets. Even with an electric trolling motor, they lean out and you do not get accurate readings all the time, they also stick a bit too far down, and if you are moving with the depth finder in the water and the unit off, you are asking for trouble.

What I have replaced it with and My boat is a 12 foot Tinny with just and elc trolling motor also was a Garmin 160 , I bought used, I have the transducer permantley attached to the boat and i remove the unit from the bracket when I need to. I power it off the same eversatrt Grup27 , I use for the motor and this year I am going to switch to one of the Cabelas 12V rechargable 12v battery systmes, cant tell you how good it works just ordered mine they are on sale. Here is the link:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...-box.jsp.form1

Just got to tell you The Fishing buddy was one of those ideas that are not as good as the reality of the product.Used it for 2 months, and sold it. A small Hummingbird<FishEagle or Garmin unit will do you a lot better. I have used all these units and they work just fine.

Last edited by muddy; 02-13-10 at 07:33 PM.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 08:29 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Keith, I have an old fishfinder that I obviously don't need any more. It's a Lowrance X37TX (proprietary one sold to Tracker). I'd give it to you for the price of shipping, but I think the transducer might need replacing. Heck...those are $50-$60. Still, it would be a great little fishfinder for a small boat.

Anyway, if you're still looking around the time of the Northern get together, and I'm able to make it, I could always bring it along and we could see if we can get it working. It doesn't make good fish arches at all, and though I am open to the remote possibility that I never find them, it's not very likely.
Old 02-13-10, 09:00 PM   #5
keithdog

Thanks Nofear, I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably stick with a new unit though.
Old 02-13-10, 11:52 PM   #6
nova385

On sale now=
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 05:17 PM   #7
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Have you ever considered a cheap Hummingbird and a standard mount..

They are removable for car topping and snap back in real easy.

Capt Mike
Old 02-15-10, 11:19 PM   #8
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have heard that they work well for basic fishfinding but their accuracy leaves a LOT to be desired.

My brother in law gave me a humminbird PiranhaMax without a transducer and it is pretty much the exact same thing. I played around with someone else's almos same setup at a local pond for a few minutes and it seemed to just give you an idea of the bottom and approximate size and area of fish, rather than actual depth and detail like better fishfinders. In a school of fish, it may show it as vegetation instead of a bunch of fish.

If you don't mind a basic vague idea then go for it, otherwise look for a better unit.

One good thing about these is that they use such a small amount of power, you can use your trolling battery without seeing any real difference or power.

I hope to find a fishfinder myself for my canoe and thats they type of setup I am looking for.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 10:06 AM   #9
muddy

I heard, doesnt work I used now that works for me. I have used both, they are not the same units, not even remotely, Hummingbird bought the Fishing Buddy from Bottom Line 3 years ago. I owned one when it was bottom line and another I used with the Humming Bird Name on it. A slight difference in the mechanics and shape of the clamping mechanism; Humingbird di a nice update by adding a collar
The Fishing Buddy and the Pirhana Max , NOT THE SAME, display and on the models we used , different capabilities.
Keith: Nofears deal is good, If you want new , look at a fish eagle, they take a liking and keep ticking
My goal this year is to up my sonar reading skills. Last year i was taught 2 things that helped me
1, Turn off the fish ID, its a waste
2, Use it to understand whats underneath you and not as a fish finder.

I starterd to pay more attention to the bottom, and what was adjacent to it, and my sucess at finding fish improved/
Old 02-16-10, 12:58 PM   #10
screwballl

PiranhaMAX and Fishing Buddy are the same, the only real difference is the model number on the fishfinder itself and minor firmware difference to account for the transducer locations. PiranhaMAX is model 150 for the low end, and the fishingbuddy combo is 110, but otherwise the units themselves and options are the same.

Humminbird 150 (PiranhaMAX)

humminbird 110 (Fishing Buddy)

specs:
Display

* 4.0" diagonal
* 160V x 128H
* FSTN LCD

Sonar
Single Beam

* 200 kHz / 20° @ -10db
* Depth: 600 ft.

Power Output

* 100 Watts (RMS)
* 800 Watts (Peak-to-Peak)

110 Fishing buddy:
Display

* 4.0" diagonal
* 160V x 128H
* FSTN LCD

Sonar
Single Beam Down

* 200 kHz / 34° @ -10db
* Depth: 240 ft.

Power Output

* 125 Watts (RMS)
* 1000 Watts (Peak-to-Peak)

The only difference is the increased sonar angle which is needed since the bottom of the Fishing Buddy goes deeper than a normal transducer so it needs a slightly wider sonar to account for the 18-24" deeper transducer location. Also since it is a wider sweep sonar, that accounts for the increased power draw (100 vs 125W).
Old 02-16-10, 03:11 PM   #11
muddy

The sonar angle, effects how much can be seen, correct? The icons are different on the Fishing Buddy I owned and the one we used after humingbird rtook them over. I will see the folks who have both units in tyhe spring, and will take pictures of each, if one of you can teach me to download them i will
How is this the same : Your numbers not mine

This Unit;

Sonar
Single Beam

* 200 kHz / 20° @ -10db
* Depth: 600 ft.

Power Output

* 100 Watts (RMS)
* 800 Watts (Peak-to-Peak)

The same specs as this; Sonar 110

110 Fishing buddy:
Display

* 4.0" diagonal
* 160V x 128H
* FSTN LCD

Sonar
Single Beam Down

* 200 kHz / 34° @ -10db
* Depth: 240 ft.

Power Output

* 125 Watts (RMS)
* 1000 Watts (Peak-to-Peak)

copied and pasted from your post, how are they the same with different values given to each? The only thing that is the same is screen size and pixel count, everything else is different???

The Fishing buddies image, and ability to show botttom types was , for me clearer and easier to read. The Fishing Buddy in the fish ID mode, also picked up way more weeds interpeted as fish. I am not an expert and need to dedicate more time to this, but these are valid observations from hours of use. - BTW they are also rated for much different depth usages.

Last edited by muddy; 02-16-10 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-16-10, 04:08 PM   #12
screwballl

Quote:
The Fishing buddies image, and ability to show botttom types was , for me clearer and easier to read. The Fishing Buddy in the fish ID mode, also picked up way more weeds interpeted as fish. I am not an expert and need to dedicate more time to this, but these are valid observations from hours of use. - BTW they are also rated for much different depth usages.
I looked it up and saw some images of the older classic fishing buddy system you mentioned and yes those are a much better display of whats below. I am not sure if any other companies make them, the only alternative one I could find was a company called "Bottom Line" but the ones I saw were also discontinued.

The 2 main things we need to look at is the display and sonar beam coverage. Both say the same thing meaning other than the sonar angles, they are essentially the same units. This only covers current Humminbird units available on the market, not the old/original fishing buddy brand units. Humminbird just replaced those with their own unit, so the PirhanaMAX 150 and FishingBuddy 110 are the same top side unit.

* 4.0" diagonal
* 160V x 128H
* FSTN LCD

The main difference comes in on the sonar angles, 20º versus 34º.

The 34º displays more but it also has a lower max range (240ft.), versus the 20º displays a smaller area but has a deeper max range (600ft.).

What this means is you need to figure out which would work better for you but it also determines how you read the display.

Using this picture as an example, there is some vegetation just below the surface, the 9 on the far bottom left of the display and the 10 on the far bottom right may be 20 feet apart with the 20º unit, and 30 feet apart with the 34º unit. That 10 foot difference can also change how you fish depending on the bottom contours and vegetation above. For the 20º, you may need a heavier or weedless jig to punch through the vegetation, versus with the 34º unit, you may be able to get just beyond the edge of it to get your lure down.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by screwballl; 02-16-10 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-16-10, 04:25 PM   #13
muddy

Okay I dont know much about sonar, I do know the angle of the cone is very important , that is how the image is made and interpeted by the signal bouncing back from inside the cone to the unit. Just because 2 TV's use the same screen doent mean they are the same TV, thats just the resolution of the information and the information is different , because the cones and peak power to translate whats in the cone are different. I am not working from pics, but from using both units.
I also have to say, since the jig is my number one bait I pay most of my attention to the bottom real estate than whats suspended. I know thats vegatation, my experience with this unit, with the fish ID on it gave fish icons for floating clusters of weeds

You are correct, since I have last used them, they did cahge to their screen, but the cones and power/depth ratings vary, enough for me to say these are not the same units. Sorry Keith, wont hijack this more than i was part of already
Old 02-18-10, 11:53 PM   #14
keithdog

Well after talkin to Hummingbird, I doubt I will buy a Fishin Buddy. They told me it is not intended to be used while the boat is being moved by any kind of motor, including a trolling motor. Doing so they said could break the c clamp mount. I definately am going to use my depth finder while searching various areas of the lake.
Old 02-19-10, 01:43 AM   #15
screwballl

Thats understandable keith... I plan to get a mountable transducer even for my canoe where I can bring it up and down myself.
Old 02-27-10, 07:45 AM   #16
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Keithdog...hey buddy how ya doing.........Do me a favor and take a pic of the boat...I do ALOT of riggin for folks that run the small botes.one of my little specialities.....I can help ya put a unit on there and it will work purdy dang good as well. I will tell ya though that my choice for the inexpensive but good working unit is onwe of the lowrance Cuda units..several reason why.......Better quality resolution.....they have surface temp.....are pretty dang good all around and prettyy tough I might add.
Old 02-27-10, 05:39 PM   #17
screwballl

I actually ordered a replacement transducer ($50) for my PiranhaMAX and made a floating wood mount for it to set next to my canoe as I fish, and will have a hook so I can use an old rod to move it away from the boat if needed.
Old 02-27-10, 06:59 PM   #18
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
Keithdog...hey buddy how ya doing.........Do me a favor and take a pic of the boat...I do ALOT of riggin for folks that run the small botes.one of my little specialities.....I can help ya put a unit on there and it will work purdy dang good as well. I will tell ya though that my choice for the inexpensive but good working unit is onwe of the lowrance Cuda units..several reason why.......Better quality resolution.....they have surface temp.....are pretty dang good all around and prettyy tough I might add.
This is the only photo I think I have of my boat. I'd take one for this post but it's upside down on the trailor covered by 18 inches of snow right now. Thanks for any suggestions you might have Laser! Normally I have about 8 rods rigged and laying on the seats, 4 on each side of me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9170754.jpg
Views:	2605
Size:	534.4 KB
ID:	4781  

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.