Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-09, 04:41 PM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Kayak rigging..

This likly will be an on going thread as I rig my yak for bass fishing as well as fall salt water fishing..

This is my yak,a sit on top made by ocean kayak the prowler "big game". weight capacity is around 600 pounds.Since I am a big guy at 6'5'' 275 pounds. However this yak at 34" wide is by far the most stable I have ever paddled.

No matter if I am fishing in local lake or in the ocean I generally don't use more than 4 rods in the kayak.
Since this yak comes with 2 flush mount rod holders I needed two more, the ones in the seat back SUCK. as they would position the rods right in your way when reaching for an item in the back.-tank well-

After many years of hauling around a milk crate in my former yak.. I found very little advantage of it being in the yak. Weight does become an issue when you have a lenthy paddle to and from the area you fish..

That being said I added 2 more rod holders in the tank well. They are very simple two pieces of black 2"pvc drain pipe,with 4 holes drilled in them..

The out side hole being large enough to pass a 3/4" long stainless steel deck screw thru..

On this yak they have a compartment the fits 3 standard 3700 plano boxes like a glove.

So i added the rod holders behind this compartment.

zooker
Old 12-15-09, 10:23 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've been thinking of purchasing a Kayak, a couple of my friends have bought them. They seem to enjoy them quite a bit, and as all the lakes within an hour of my home are ELECTRIC ONLY, hauling the bass boat around is a lot more effort than using a human powered watercraft. I'm assuming you find the Kayak a fun way to fish, I'm told by my friends - and I'm not sure it's more than a "sales pitch" - the stealthy kayak allows you to 'neak up on those wiley basses. The aspect of some additional exercise isn't a bad thing either. I'm looking at the Hobie's but the Ocean looks good, especially with that wide beam, I'll be checking them out. Nice pics!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 08:34 AM   #3
Mac2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

One of the thrills is when you are drifting sideways with a gentle wind and happen to look down on the shady side to see a large tail gently wafting back and forth just enough to keep under the yak.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-09, 11:32 AM   #4
Captmikestarrett

I have the same Kayak and used a milk crate with four rod holders and it holds four boxes. The well where your boxes are holds a small 12v battery to run the depth finder and lights. The pole light is required in MD in salt water. \

But honestly I do not like fishing from it. I prefer my Ganoe.

Capt Mike
Old 12-22-09, 01:15 AM   #5
BlueDaksi

A friend of mine paddles an OK BGP too - he's skinny and walks around all over the top of it just like it were a bass boat. I'm big and have a Malibu Stealth 14 and am very happy with it - have it rigged with fish finder, multiple rod holders, milk crate setup as well.

I look forward to seeing your updates as you continue to rig your kayak.
BlueDaksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-09, 02:32 PM   #6
zooker

I am awaiting a battery. I already have the depthfinder. I plan to add several hatchs in the back -plus the big one in front of the seat- add a rudder kit, and definatly get ahold of mr Eads for some blue water light pimpin..

zooker
Old 12-23-09, 11:39 PM   #7
bassboogieman

My buddies are using motorcycle batteries in thier Kayaks to save weight. Thery're able to run their sonar all day on one. Motorcycle batteries also come in AGM, a bit more expensive but they provide a sealed (won't spill fluid) edge over the more common wet cells.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-09, 11:42 PM   #8
zooker

booger
You can get a agm 12 volt 8 amp battery and charger from Cabelas for under $40 shipped..

zooker
Old 04-19-10, 05:13 PM   #9
zooker

ok since i had to stop my progress on the yak till now.the exteneded hospital visit was un-planned..

now back to the yak build already in progress..

i added my eagle 168 cuda head unit. buying an extra mount and transducer which was planned.

yes i am aware the depth finder is NOT in the center of the yak. the reason is, if i had placed the depth finder in the center, i could not put the battery in the built in shelf /compartment..which the battery fits into like a glove.

zooker
Old 04-20-10, 01:22 PM   #10
Abbeysdad

I was just thinking...hook yerself a 28" Musky (or even one of those bull river carp I caught as a kid) and he's gonna take you fer a ride. That'd be some real fun!
Old 04-20-10, 05:17 PM   #11
walkeraviator

I want to get into Kayak Fishing. I am lookin at the OK Trident Angler 13 or the Native Ultkmate 14.5 solo. I like the Ultimate better except that if i ever decided to yak a busy lake, it could easily be swamped and sunk by a big wake.

BPS just started selling a reaosnably priced fishing kayak called the ascend somethin-or-other... looks ok for half teh price of a normal one.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 05:53 PM   #12
tarpon120

Check out Widerness Systems. I bought a tarpon120 and rigged it myself. I have four and am very pleased with. My buddy uses them in Jacksonville, FL. Sold his Grady White and got me into yaks 5 years ago.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-10, 05:54 PM   #13
tarpon120

Paid 550 for my 100's last year in north alabama.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 12:54 AM   #14
Bender

Looks great! Where did you mount the transducer? I have been curious how well a thru hull would work on one of those.

Good call on the AGM, I got a replacement normal SLA for my ice/portable sonar and it died after only a few months. I'll get AGM next time, that's what my TM batteries are in the big boat and they last very well.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-10, 01:13 PM   #15
zooker

i mounted it flat on the bottom of the hull. the polypro the yaks are made from is thinner than the hull of a glass boat. so shooting thru is a cake walk.. just use silcone or 5200 and glue the transducer to the hull..

zooker
Old 04-21-10, 04:48 PM   #16
Jrob78

Man, that Kayak looks pretty sweet! That would work perfectly at most of the places I fish. I'm going to have to look into it!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 11:19 PM   #17
Fishing Fanatic

I've been kayak fishing for about 5 years. I absolutely love it. Zooker, your Big Game looks sweet. I just rigged up a Himminbird PMax 170 myself.... rigged it on my OK Prowler. Works great.
I'll be fishing in Atlanta in 2 weeks at the riverbassin tournament... then at the worlds largest Kayak Fishing Tournament in Jacksonville, FL on May 9th.
Fishing Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 05:04 PM   #18
zooker

fishin fanaatic

guess who is fishin this tourny?

http://carolinayakfish.com/

zooker
Old 04-23-10, 07:43 PM   #19
Fishing Fanatic

Hey Zooker - That looks like a great tourney. I assume you're fishing it. Good luck my friend! Glad to see you bounce back strong! I noticed that River Bassin was one of the sponsors of the event. Thats great! Maybe you can fish one of the River Bassin stops one day.
Fishing Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-10, 02:44 AM   #20
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I got a canoe (14' long, 36" wide) a few months back and just added a few things but as I am more of a minimalist, I tend to stick with one small plano and 2-3 rods. I do have a basic fishfinder and a floating wood transducer but have not had the chance to put it to use yet... spring is always busy for this family..
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 05:27 PM   #21
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I'm likin this thread! I recently confirmed that No Motor around here means NO Motor. So my little 4x8 hard plastic twin hull with a troller is a No Go.
I'm planning on buying a bass boat in the spring. All the motor lakes I've been fishing with my lil boat will be fished with the bass boat, leaving the plastic boat basically useless.
Really thinking about picking up a Yak for the no motor lakes (or just keep on using my step mom's)
A buddy and I have caught a lot of fish on Otter Lake this weekend in Yaks. Otter's a No Motor lake and I definitely wanna keep fishin it, even after I get a real boat.
Alll kinds of ideas running through my head.
How much of an advantage is it to fish from an open Yak? I'm fishing from a traditional style.
Old 05-02-10, 06:22 PM   #22
zooker

i can't tell ya excatly the differance other than your arms wont be as tired.. i have only used sot yaks...

zooker
Old 05-04-10, 11:01 PM   #23
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i can't tell ya excatly the differance other than your arms wont be as tired.. i have only used sot yaks...

zooker
That's definitely a plus. I yak fished way too much this past weekend, and my right shoulder is killin me!
Could be from the several hundred casts I made though

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.