Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-08, 07:52 AM   #1
WallStreetAmigo
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Modifications to my 12' Aluminum Boat

I have a 12' Aluminum boat that I would like to make some modifications to. I will post a picture of my boat tomorrow along with the maximum weight specs. I mostly fish alone but occasionally bring others with me.

Basically the following is what I am thinking of doing. I am relying on you guys to give me feedback as to whether it is possible and safe to do some or all of these things and how to go about doing them (materials, layout, etc.)

As you will see when I post the pic, my boat has two benches and the little V shaped seat at the front. My first idea is to build a relatively lightweight front deck where I can place a small pedastal seat for comfort. It would also be great if I could utilize the space underneath for storage and/or a cooler livewell system. I have no idea where to even start this kind of project.

I want to add a depthfinder/GPS unit, but would prefer that it could be removed when the boat is not in use. If I could avoid permanently mounting the transducer on the transom, that would be best.

My ideal seating for the deck/middle seat would be one that could be switched from a higher pedastal seat to a lower seat for rowing with relative ease.

As I said, I know little about this stuff and appreciate any input and help you have to give.

WSA
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 02:44 PM   #2
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetAmigo View Post
I want to add a depthfinder/GPS unit, but would prefer that it could be removed when the boat is not in use. If I could avoid permanently mounting the transducer on the transom, that would be best.

WSA
Sounds safe enough to me; I don't know how else you could mount the transducer except on a trolling motor. You have the options of the transom or trolling motor case.

-Lunk-
Old 01-05-08, 03:36 PM   #3
Wags

Send a message via AIM to Wags Send a message via Yahoo to Wags

WSA....I did some modification to my 12' Meyers.......It has been the best time and $$ ever spent. Granted, it's nothing fancy, but it has served the purpose for Ken (Kennsandy) and I for the past couple of years. We fish standing on the platforms all day and have never had a balance issue (i.e....man overboard) I am going to run out to the garage and take some pics. I will post them in a bit.......
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-08, 04:10 PM   #4
Wags

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR........I'm not able to post my pics because the files are too large for the forum specs. I have NO IDEA how to down-size them to a workable size. WSA...If you would like to PM me or email me...I would be glad to send them to ya. The pics show the fishing platforms I have put on both the front and rear portions of the boat. I have mounted a trolling motor on the front platform as well as a hinged door for the battery to hide in. The rear platform has two hinged doors, one for the gas can for the out-board, the other for basic storage. We have a fish-finder mounted on the center bench in a swivel-box that allows viewing for the front or back. Let me know if you would like the pics,...or anyone else for that matter; or if you could tell me how to downsize the pics (I'm a computer knob)
Old 01-05-08, 04:52 PM   #5
WallStreetAmigo

Hey Wags, any chance you could e-mail the pics to me for a look? PM me if this is a possibility and I'll give you my e-mail address.

Oops, my bad........it pays to read the whole message before replying...LOL
Old 01-05-08, 04:56 PM   #6
WallStreetAmigo

I have tried many times to downsize pics to put on here but am completely lost......Maybe Zooker or Rebbasser or one of the other guys who post lots of pics can give us a tip on how to do this.
Old 01-06-08, 10:37 AM   #7
Wags

Default 1 pic of modification

I have NO IDEA why the other pics are too big......taken with same camera???? oh well......this shows the front (Duh) The back platform has 2 hinged doors for gas tank and storage....nothing fancy, but the boat fishes MUCH BIGGER this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0204.JPG
Views:	3768
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	1908  
Old 01-06-08, 07:37 PM   #8
WallStreetAmigo

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for Wags! Awesome job! I will be e-mailing you soon to ask about materials, etc if you don't mind.

WSA
Old 01-06-08, 09:28 PM   #9
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kennsandy

well, if your worried about a safety issue with weight, dont be. both platforms are quite heavy, plus everything else we bring, not to mention the 450 lbs the 2 of us add to it. there are a few other things we want to add, like 2 seats, and a live well of some sort. things would be easier if we just had a bigger bass boat,lol, but this boat is gr8 to get into spots the big boats cant make it. one gr8 thing about aluminum boats, they can take a beating.

enjoy whatever you do with your boat WSA, make it the way you want it.

ken

p.s. if you want any help doing whatever you do, just ask WAGS, hes modest, but he did everything himself, and we are still alive, lol.
kennsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-08, 09:33 PM   #10
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wags-try this:

http://www.irfanview.com/

Download it-it is free-and you can easily resize the images. The pictures my camera are large like yours appear to be-it is based on megapixels-the bigger the MP the bigger the pictures, so I just resize them.

WSA,something to keep in mind-adding a deck will change the way the boat rides a bit. Shouldn't be a problem since your boat isn't powered. A buddy of mine added a deck to the front of an old ski boat and it made it nose heavy, which can be a problem in rough water.
Old 01-06-08, 09:41 PM   #11
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennsandy View Post
well, if your worried about a safety issue with weight, dont be. both platforms are quite heavy, plus everything else we bring, not to mention the 450 lbs the 2 of us add to it. there are a few other things we want to add, like 2 seats, and a live well of some sort. things would be easier if we just had a bigger bass boat,lol, but this boat is gr8 to get into spots the big boats cant make it. one gr8 thing about aluminum boats, they can take a beating.

enjoy whatever you do with your boat WSA, make it the way you want it.

ken

p.s. if you want any help doing whatever you do, just ask WAGS, hes modest, but he did everything himself, and we are still alive, lol.
LOL....will do Ken. That job by Wags looks very good. You're right about smaller aluminum boats. The only modification I've made is I have a set of launching wheels on the back of the transom. That way I can roll it to the water, load it up, and be on my way, even by myself.
Old 01-06-08, 10:06 PM   #12
WallStreetAmigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Wags-try this:

http://www.irfanview.com/

Download it-it is free-and you can easily resize the images. The pictures my camera are large like yours appear to be-it is based on megapixels-the bigger the MP the bigger the pictures, so I just resize them.

WSA,something to keep in mind-adding a deck will change the way the boat rides a bit. Shouldn't be a problem since your boat isn't powered. A buddy of mine added a deck to the front of an old ski boat and it made it nose heavy, which can be a problem in rough water.
Point well taken Reb. I want to make sure that it isn't nose heavy. I might have to consider materials other than wood. I only have a trolling motor currently (40 lb thrust I think) but I will be getting a gas motor soon so I can get unto some tournaments. My boat is rated up to 15 HP, but I may have to get a 9.9 or 9.8, both for money reasons and so it is light enough to carry and load by myself.

that's a great site Reb. Easy as pie to use.

WSA
Old 01-06-08, 10:21 PM   #13
Wags

hey WSA....Do you trailer your 12' boat..or throw it in the back of a truck?? The platforms I added DO add quite a bit of weight to the boat. I have mine on a small trailer so that wasn't in issue for me, I was more concerned with the balance issues. I also run a 15hp Johnson on it. It still gets up a goes pretty good, even with the added weight. Each platform weighs about 40-50 lbs each. As I mentioned in the Email I sent you, they are just sitting in the boat, not attached in any way. So I do remove them to clean the boat on occasion.
Old 01-06-08, 10:53 PM   #14
WallStreetAmigo

I do trailer my boat. In the spring I am thinking of getting a cartop autolauncher for my boat. That way I could pack the platforms and all my other fishing/boating gear into the bed of my truck and eliminate the need for a trailer. Many of the lakes I fish are not what you might call "trailer friendly"
Old 01-06-08, 10:56 PM   #15
WallStreetAmigo

I fish by myself or with the kids most of the time, so the ability to self launch is extremely important.

The ability to remove the decks easily would be great for when I take the kids and need more seating.
Old 01-09-08, 01:12 AM   #16
WallStreetAmigo

Sorry I haven't posted pics of my boat yet. I will as soon as I find where my kids hid the camera!
Old 03-28-11, 02:15 AM   #17
tpsvca
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Skype™ to tpsvca
Question About your boat seating if it's still actual

About your boat seating: what kind of seating do you looking for?
Do you interest about customizable boat seating?
tpsvca is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.