Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-06-05, 02:55 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Shimano Curado setup/weights?

Hi guys
I have a few ? for ya all, I was wondering what is the optimum setup for the curado. I have the cu-200b5 and was wondering for someone new to baitcasting reels whats the best setting for the weights inside. I have trilene xl 12# on it and was told that i should have at least 4 weights clicked out and to make sure they are evenly clicked out across from each other.Any other tips. Was also told to adjust lure so it just barely free falls down. I have a abu garcia 6600 D5 that I have been practicing with for few weeks that i can throw perfect. New to this shimano reel. thanks for all your help
Old 03-06-05, 08:49 AM   #2
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33
Default Re: Shimano Curado setup/weights?

You were told right. As you get more confident you can lessin the weights.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 10:28 AM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

HUNTER,

I started out with mine set at 3 in & 3 out for about a year until the reels got worn in, then went back to the factory setting of 4 in & 2 out. At a recent Bassmaster clinic, Gary Klein recommended setting the reel at 4 in & 2 out. I would suggest that you set it at what ever works best for you thru trial & error. As you get used to the reel and the parts get worn in, you will need less brake.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 01:17 AM   #4
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

First off replace the line with Powerpro, and you'll be alot happier. I just went through this, and what worked for me(new to baitcasting really) was the breaks setup you mentioned, and also I keep the tension control tighter, so you actually need to wiggle the rod a little to get it to fall a little, and then it stop itself again. This will hurt your distance, but boy has it taken away the backlashes(two times in a row out using it like this with no backlashes to speak of). Once I get better or in this case you do as JackL stated, loosen the tention knob to where it then free falls till it hits the floor, then throw it some more. When you get better then adjust the inside breaks. I didn't come up with this, but I did use this from an Article called Baitcasting 101. I t has definately helped me, and I actually don't cringe when I grab it to cast anymore

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.