Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-10, 12:49 PM   #1
keysd13
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Found used boat, what should I look for?

I found a boat online and was thinking of going to check it out. What do you guys recommend me looking for problems wise. I know to check the lower unit oil. Should I have the compression checked? Any help would be great. Dkeys
Old 02-04-10, 01:45 PM   #2
rodnreel

I just got my first boat last weekend. If you are familiar with boats, you can check it all out on your own. Lower unit oil is a good one and compression is one of the most important. Check the transom for any soft spots, cracks, etc. Make sure the floors are solid with no soft spots, too. Ask a lot of questions about how the seller used the boat...was he fishing 2-3 times/week, once a month? What kind of fishing was he doing, recreational or tournament? Check the gel coat for spider cracks and the hull for holes, scratches that may lead to the boat taking on water. Smell the carpet for anything unusual like mold/mildew or presence of rotting wood. Get the name of the dealer/mechanic he uses to service the boat and call! Cross check the information he is giving you with their maintenance records.

Personally I would recommend taking the boat to a mechanic to have it checked out. This is what I did with mine before I bought it. They should be able to tell you compression numbers, if any water has run into the lower unit oil, number of hours on the motor at different RPM levels, etc. It will cost some extra money, but will outweigh the need to have a faulty motor rebuilt a couple years down the road.

Follow your gut when it comes time to make a decision. If you feel like the boat has been well maintained and looks to be in good shape and everything checked out OK with the mechanic, offer what you feel the boat is worth. If the boat looks beaten and run down in physical appearance, chances are the motor and electrical were treated the same way.

Last edited by rodnreel; 02-04-10 at 01:50 PM.
rodnreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 01:54 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Take someone with you that knows something about boats then value their opinion and not let wonderlust enter into it.
Also check used boat values and compare something like nada listings.
Older boats check transom,floor for soft spots,was it kept indoors or even covered?
Finally take a test drive,let the boat owner drive it,then do a short spin yourself with him in the boat,your water shouldnt be hard mine isnt.
Check plate rating ,check motor for being within that hp limit if under 20 ft.
A 15 min ride can tell a lot,dont expect to be able to handle it wot at first,but if problems exist with the motor should show right off the bat but nothing is written in stone its used you take your chances.
Best scenario if you feel your really risking your money (its used some risk involved),then pass.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 02:14 PM   #4
nova385

I whent through this last year. All the things in the other post are great answers. Also check the live well pumps / Batterys / lights/ req. safty stuff /check seats for rot. Look at the wiring - House wire nut are bad. That kind of stuff will nickel dime you to death. Dont forget the trailer- jack it up tug on the rims (lose bearings) check the bearing grease, if it is milky/runy you will be in for some bearings/seals pos. spindle repair. Plug the trailer in to your truck and check the lights- All this stuff can be repaired but it will take time that you could be fishing
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 08:41 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

YES on the compression check! Also stomp around the deck, jump up and down and see if oyu "feel" andy soft spots. Means there might be a problem in the stringers and flooring. Check out where the motor mounts to the rear too. Check out the wiring, hoses, pumps, switches, fuse box,etc. Go over it with a fine tooth comb in other words.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.