Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-10, 10:48 AM   #1
fish4942
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default I’m tossing out all of my other soft plastics…

Count me in as a Berkley believer. I caught the most largemouth bass I’ve ever caught in one weekend this past weekend. I caught them all on Berkley Power Baits. The most exciting part was catching many bass on the Chigger Craw Crazy legs green pumpkin. I had caught 1 3 pounder last summer on that reddish-purplish chigger last year but that was it. I just didn’t believe bass would hit a dark green creature that basically looked like a falling clump of grass in the water. This weekend it blew me away.

I guess I’m a “power” fisherman in that I like fast action and mainly throw crankbaits and spinners or topwater. This weekend I went out and hung around shallow rocks with a whole bunch of cover/grass/weedy stuff. I had that green chigger craw tied on Texas-Rigged weedless and forced myself to slow down and work it slow. Whack! A 4 pounder hit a few feet from the rocks. Then another and another. I then decided to fish around a walker bridge on my way out from the lake. Again heavy cover. Whack! Even bigger large mouths.

Yesterday I hit a lake over my lunch hour and decided to throw into down tree limbs and sticks. I took my time and drug it through the cover limbs and brush and all of a sudden my line took off. This was the first time I set the hook based on site instead of feeling the hit.

Pardon my excitement over this but this is like a whole new world for me. I’m going to get me some steel toed boots and start heading to the deepest pockets for these beasts.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 11:41 AM   #2
rodnreel

Welcome to the world of soft plastics! Sounds like you're gaining a lot of experience already and are using some really, REALLY good plastics in Power Baits. I don't use them exclusively, but have plenty of worms and craws in my arsenal. If the bite slows down, and that chigger craw stops working, try using their mud bug. It's a lot more subtle and more of a finesse craw, but works well too. Its so fun to feel that bump, reel down, and set the hook like a pro! Congrats on the catches and learning a new technique. I wanna see pics!!
Old 06-10-10, 01:36 PM   #3
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've used power bait a few times, and when ever I'm buying plastics that's what I get! My buddy swears by them too, power baits are great!!!
Old 06-10-10, 02:28 PM   #4
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to plastics. I fish primarily plastics. The fishing is sometimes slower but the rewards are usually higher.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-10, 03:50 PM   #5
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Congrats on having your eyes opened to a new aspect of your game . Nothing like having catching fish on something you have previously had no success with

jim
Old 06-10-10, 04:54 PM   #6
Snake2715

That was me a few years back... size wise a lesser extent, but action wise, yes.
I live in MI so the fish are not as big abundantly up here. I have caught a 5lber here though and had a few 3lbers. My buddy has since jumped to soft plasitcs with me and has landed a few 4-5 lbsers as well... one of which is on his wall in the garage.

I will hve to check out that bait you mentioned.
Old 06-10-10, 07:05 PM   #7
keithdog

Congrats on your great succcess! I know I love to pitch plastics especially in the summer months. I killed them last weekend pitchin a Gary Yamamoto Creature bait. Once you start pitchin plastics and get bit, your snagged for life.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 10:27 PM   #8
tim4081

Congrats on the fish and discovering soft plastics. I was much like you until someone convinced me to try senkos.....now I always have a rod or two ready for plastics.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 10:32 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Plastics are great, and I use mostly Powerbait. There's a few specific things I like from other companies (like YUM Dingers or Zoom Trick Worms), but the majority of my plastics are powerbait.

I was never big on pitching plastics, but I loaded up on beavers, brush hogs, and craws this winter and I'm gonna give it a shot this summer.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.