Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-08, 05:33 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Backing

OK Guys, I know many of use use it on our BC reels, but does anybody use it on a spinning? My idea is....

Since my Cabela's Tournament ZX Spinning Reel(Daiwa Regal), holds 170 yards of 10 LB. line, I want to put about 90 yards of crappy, backing mono. on, wrap some electrical tape around this, then tie on my good mono., giving me around 80 yards of good casting line. Would this work? Otherwise, if I put on the whole 170 yard spool, about 100 yards is wasted; so I thought this would save time, money, and line.

What do you think?

-Lunk-
Old 01-08-08, 06:02 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd do this if it were braid or fluoro, but mono's even good mono is not that expensive. When I use backing, which is some crappy trilene XL, it is mostly on our musky reel which hold 205 yds of 12. Since we use 30lb braid (8lb diameter) it would take a lot of wasted braid to fill the reel. For mono, no I wouldn't use backing.

Another thing. When you put backing on, spool up however much you want, and instead of using tape or whatnot, just tie the good line to it. I use an Albright Special for all my line-to-line applications.

BB
Old 01-08-08, 06:42 PM   #3
lunker-lander

I plan to use the tape so I know where the new/old line ends/starts. Anyway, I'm not too good at the Albright Special, or Uni, or Uni to Uni, or Suregeons, or....

It will also save line/money, expensive or not. A dime's a dime, not a nickel.

-Lunk-
Old 01-08-08, 09:19 PM   #4
Marty

I use cheap mono backing on every spinning reel, regardless of whether I'm using mono or braid. I then use approximately 60 yards of the line I'm fishing with. That's five spool fillings from a 300-yard supply spool. I tie with a uni-to-uni knot, but I don't know if it matters, since the line never gets down that far while bass fishing.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-08, 09:54 PM   #5
BigBassin144

I don't remember where I heard this, probably on this site though. But If you use braid, when you take it off, just tie the used end to the spool of the respool with the same line, just backwards. I am going to do this just fomr one reel to another.

LL, the tape would help you know, but I'd think the knot would be a good indicator of where the old line starts too. and the Albright special is a very easy knot. (or else I wouldn't be able to tie it) I'd give it a try, it's definately not a blood knot, but it works fine for me.

BB
Old 01-09-08, 10:33 AM   #6
MississippiBoy

I was kinda expecting FlyRod to speak up and sing the praises of the J-knot, then in the same breath curse it, but he ain't been around in a while.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 06:41 PM   #7
links_man2
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Being an old cheapskate, I always partially put CHEAP mono on about half the spool---baitcaster or spinning. I found some Red Cajun cheap at Wally World that is great since it shows so good when I am getting down pretty low on the good line. Like Lunker, I like saving a few dimes and nickels, pretty soon I got enough for another beer.
links_man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-08, 08:18 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I was kinda expecting FlyRod to speak up and sing the praises of the J-knot, then in the same breath curse it, but he ain't been around in a while.
Where is FlyRod for that matter?

About the Cajun' red line, thats a good idea. That would be a good way to tell when you need to put more line on.

BB
Old 01-10-08, 05:59 PM   #9
Lilmoosecountry

I've gotta a rig i call the show state rig. For those with braided line you tie a ball bearing swival then tie florocarbon leader to that. Then tie a jig head to the florocarbon. Then use either a lizzard or worm. This rig is awesome for flipping. The fish will nevor see that braid plus. With a high quality swival you can battle line twist aswell. But get all the strengths of braid. Plus when you present your bait to a big Fish in a lake that has alot of fishing pressure. They nevor see that line that looks electrical wire tied to the bait
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-08, 10:06 PM   #10
BigBassin144

LMC, this is a good tip. Some of the best swivels I've seen are the Spro ones. although they are $5.29 for 2 or 3 of them depending on size. Very expensive.

BB
Old 01-11-08, 11:36 PM   #11
lunker-lander

I've never used them, but I've haeard the best ones made are by Sampo USA. They are life $25.95 for 10 or something. Sounds ridiculous, but I heard they work amazingly well.

-Lunk-

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.