Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-05, 05:17 PM   #1
shaft04092
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default live worms/crawlers vs. lures

which would you say is better?
shaft04092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 05:59 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I prefer lures. Haven't used nightcrawlers in years. There is nothing wrong with them, I just prefer artificials.

Just a suggestion-only post a message once. Putting the same question in the different forums gets confusing.
Old 08-06-05, 06:03 PM   #3
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Bass will hit a live nightcrawler pretty daggone hard. Its kinda fun to put one under a bobber and watch how fast it takes off with the worm. I did it not too long ago and man, I've never even seen a catfish take a bobber down that fast.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-05, 06:10 PM   #4
shaft04092

Todays My First Day Using These Forums So Im Learning The Way It Worls Here,i Never Have Had Luck With Lures But Want To Learn More About Them So I Can Have Some Luck
Old 08-06-05, 06:17 PM   #5
Rebbasser

No problem.

Just keep throwing them-eventually you WILL get bit.
Old 08-06-05, 06:22 PM   #6
shaft04092

i think another problem i have currently is most of the time im fishing off shore
Old 08-06-05, 06:42 PM   #7
Big_Bad_Trav

Fishing offshore is not a problem. I used to think it was. Until I learned some tricks from the wonderful people on the board. Off shore fishing is how it all started. It's how most of us got started. You gotta learn to crawl before you walk and run.
Old 08-06-05, 06:49 PM   #8
shaft04092

this is true,but iv never caught a fish bigger then 6 inchs with a lure
Old 08-06-05, 07:24 PM   #9
KenDammit

to answer the real question, I think more times than not you're gonna catch bigger fish on lures. Aside from that, lures can be used much faster, and in many more conditions than live bait can. With one lure, you may be able to throw it into some grass, fish it 1 foot deep, then throw it 10 feet deep, and go into some timber or stumps with it. With live bait you're kinda limited to how you fish it and where you fish it, unless you're an excellent caster in all situations.
Old 08-06-05, 07:30 PM   #10
shaft04092

i have gotten rather good at casting in a tight space,but i am sick of catching small bass.largest this year have been 15+18inchs(didnt have a scale).both with a crawler,cought one removed the hook,replaced the crawler and before i had time to tighten the slack from the cast had the 18 inch,both close to shore at a place called watchik lake in standish,maine
Old 08-06-05, 08:44 PM   #11
Cuban_Cigar
BassFishin.Com Member

Kenny you can do all that different fishin depth wit a live bait too...how u can use it is only limited by your imagination..Live Bait is the best for all situations, lures....are just more fun and make me feel more accomplished...
Old 08-07-05, 09:52 AM   #12
lizardsrule

If your whole goal is just to catch Bass, then the best bait would be a shiner or baitfish to catch some bigger fish. I don't/won't use the live bait anymore, unless taking some kids fishing. There is no talent to it, other than to know where to throw your bait, and if you get it close it will still work, kinda like hand grenades. Nothing wrong with using live bait. But anyone can catch fish sitting with a bobber and a shiner. However it takes a lot of knowledge, and ability to catch fish in all conditions with lures. There is no tourney's I know of for Bass that alows "LIVE" Bait. So if you are just wanting to catch Bass, get a six pack, and some shiners, and sit back on your chair. If the fish are really active, you won't have time to drink the six pack, if they are tight to cover, and lethargic, then make sure you got a designated driver.

Lizards
Old 08-07-05, 04:16 PM   #13
KenDammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban_Cigar
Kenny you can do all that different fishin depth wit a live bait too...how u can use it is only limited by your imagination..Live Bait is the best for all situations, lures....are just more fun and make me feel more accomplished...
You can do it, but that requires stopping and adjusting and then re-casting. Live bait is only good if you know where the fish are. Lures can let you find fish, catch them when you know where they are, have the ability to change colors to more of what the fish want, put them in a lot of different situations and covers, and not have to replace them everytime you do get a bite.

I fish with both live bait and artificial lures, and lures are far more effective for me in my fishing. More bites, more successful hook-ups, and generally bigger fish.
Old 08-07-05, 11:49 PM   #14
Dyas
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Dyas

I perfer lures. I can fish a nightcrawler for hours and catch 4 or 5 bass and fill up an ice chest with bass with lures in the same amount of time. But I do like fishing live minners though.........

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.