Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 06-24-05, 10:24 AM   #1
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181
Default Catching bass, the s-l-o-w way

I think I can improve your catch rate by sharing what I've learned and developed over the years fishing in Michigan....my home state.

It started on Lake St. Helen when my mother-in-law relayed some information she had heard on the radio. Take a number 6 hook, fish it with a nightcrawler....no bobber, no sinker. My brother-in-law, Phil and I got some hooks and that evening fished nightcrawlers in the reeds...tossing them out with a gentle long armed cast....letting them sink and set. We began catching one bass after another, some of them....bigguns.

Later on I stumbled on a store that carried Razor Worms.....finesse worms in the grasshopper color. I bought both the grasshopper razor worms and some black/chart tailed Sliders. Putting these weightless on a number 2 worm hook made them fall very slowly......casting to weedbed edges and simply waiting for them to fall worked extremely well on the bass. We used 6 lb line and scented the worms with garlic salt mixed with water. Caught a bunch.....we fished the grasshopper color 95 percent of the time and when the bite seemed to be slow or slowed down, we'd switch to the Sliders. We'd cast out, let sink....if nothing, let set 30 seconds....still nothing?....lift slowly 2 feet to feel for fish....if nothing has taken it by now, reel in and re-cast to another likely spot.

For the last two and a half years......the Senko craze hit. I saw some in a store and was discouraged by the price. As I turned away from the Senko display I happened to see something similar across the aisle.......Zoom Speedworms. Same size, shape and pretty much the ribbing matched. I bought a pack of watermelon/red, cut off the tails a half inch up on the worm body, rigged them texposed on a 2/0 bent shaft worm hook weightless, and have been catching bass ever since. Now the official name of the worm is Zoom, Ultra Vibe Speedworm...and for whatever stroke of luck, the watermelon/red (red glitter) works by far the best of all the zoom colors.....the newest one out being pearl, I haven't tried yet.
The lure casts like a bullet, skips well, and can be wacky rigged and fished that way also.

Sometimes a high arc cast with a loud splashdown seems to be the cast to use, at other times a low and gentle entry works well......lately I've been skipping it with a sidearm type cast and it's bee working well. Again, let it sink watching line at all times.....let it set on bottom if a bass doesn't have it already....for at least 20 seconds, 30 being actually better.....and then lifting slowly to feel.

The pause on the bottom, the "deadsticking" part, gives the nearby bass time to find the lure....it also can trigger a strike from a territorial bass I suspect.

Slider worms are found in many tackle shops, Razor Worms can be ordered from www.buehlersales.com and if you can't find the Speedworms locally, BassPro Shops carries them.

p.s. If you order the Razor Worms, get the 4 inch, unscented.......you can scent them yourself and save. Good fishing, Mac
Old 06-24-05, 10:38 AM   #2
FLFishFan
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FLFishFan
Default Re: Catching bass, the s-l-o-w way

Hey Mac 10. You ever fish up north in the Gaylord area. I have a cabin on Chub Lake. Its near Otsego lake. was wondering if you ever fished them lakes.
FLFishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 08:46 AM   #3
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

No, didn't happen to fish either one.......fished Oswego, but not Otsego. Â*Didn't do well on Oswego, but I'm sure some folks do very well. Â*Good fishing, Mac
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-05, 08:44 PM   #4
fastcat
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fastcat

I catch most of my bass that same way..... Zoom worms also are good worms for this technique......
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.