Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 06-24-14, 08:22 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Your line and back lashes.

We all get a nasty back lash on occasion. When that happens it usually leaves the line looking nasty and full of kinks and what have ya. Here is my question. Do you think a bad back lash has a negative effect on the integrity of the line after it's been cleared up, or do you think it looks bad, but otherwise the line is ok? It seems like by the time I'm back on the water, the line is no worse for the wear. But I never feel confident in it again. A minor back lash is no big deal, but a bad one, that's what I am concerned with. I had a nasty back last on my top water rod last weekend, and the line looked awful after I got it cleared up. Would you change that line before going back out?
Old 06-25-14, 07:24 AM   #2
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That's another reason I've gone to braid on all my reels. I've found that, 1) I can get a braid backlash out easier than any other kind of line. and 2) A backlash kink isn't "permanent" in braid like it is in mono or floro.

Yes, I believe a bad backlash in any mono filament line has degraded the line. If you're fishing for money (tournament), then definitely change the line. Fishing for fun ... judgement call. Change to braid, and you'll never have to worry about it.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-14, 06:22 PM   #3
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
That's another reason I've gone to braid on all my reels. I've found that, 1) I can get a braid backlash out easier than any other kind of line. and 2) A backlash kink isn't "permanent" in braid like it is in mono or floro.

Yes, I believe a bad backlash in any mono filament line has degraded the line. If you're fishing for money (tournament), then definitely change the line. Fishing for fun ... judgement call. Change to braid, and you'll never have to worry about it.
I do use braid on a few reels, but mainly coploy. Flouroclear to be exactl. I think I'll change it.
Old 06-25-14, 07:42 PM   #4
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
I do use braid on a few reels, but mainly coploy. Flouroclear to be exactl. I think I'll change it.
I think you're doing the right thing. Why take chances?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-14, 09:48 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Check out the active discussion about whether backlashes affect your line and if you should change it after a serious one or not at http://basschat.yuku.com/topic/226/B...s-and-the-line.

To the remaining members of BF.com, it is appreciated that you don't post your responses here, but rather on the active thread at http://BassChat.yuku.com. Thanks!
Old 07-03-14, 07:04 AM   #6
mikechell

Not all of them, 144.
Old 07-08-14, 01:06 AM   #7
bassinbob

As often as I professionally overun my reels i don't even think about it. Unless it's flouro that is.
Old 07-08-14, 06:14 PM   #8
mikechell

"Professional overrun" ... I had a friend who said he was "counting his line" every time he needed to strip out a backlash.
Old 07-28-14, 08:46 AM   #9
Thornback

Smile

I too use #40 braded line. I get my share of backlashes but I have always been able to quickly pick them out (knock on wood) and continue fishing. Never had a line break or knot (Palomar) come untied. I have had a mudfish or pickerel cut my line
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-15, 09:47 AM   #10
ROBZILLA

If i were tournament fishing I'd put the rod away and change the line later on. I think the back yard fishing once and a while would be ok, pending what type of line... Braided no problems! Mono or florocarbon I'd think twice, cause the 2 kink bad and will be weaker than braided line. And we all know what floro, and mono is like casting when its kinky!
Old 04-06-15, 10:20 AM   #11
ROBZILLA

Great video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5kwR5zjc
Old 04-06-15, 02:52 PM   #12
nobass

be like me don't backlash yea right. i will replace mind if i am in doubt of it breaking . i only keep about \75 feet of freash line on . never saw the need for more. so respooling isn't a big deal for me. saves a lot of money. i only throw mono and braid. so only one i worry about is mono
Old 04-06-15, 04:00 PM   #13
mikechell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBZILLA View Post
Yes indeed. This trick works well. I've used it a few times before I went to braid. Rarely need it after.
I also recommend a method to reduce the amount of backlash. As soon as you have new line on your reel, set it up with the heaviest lure you'll use. Make the longest cast you can, then place a piece of tape across the remaining line. If you get a backlash, it will only loosen up to the tape, no farther.
Old 04-06-15, 05:33 PM   #14
bassboogieman

I have found that backing line on a reel saves lot of expensive line. I do similar to what Mike said above except I spool a reel with cheap mono, tie on a weight at the max rating for the rod and make a cast - hopefully on a breezy day with the wind my back - as far as I can. After it lands, I pull off another 8 - 10 yards and cut it off. I then put a wrap of electrical tape over the mono and connect the mono to whatever line I intend to use. This method greatly reduces the chances of backlashing a baitcaster and if you do it won't go too deep, in addition to saving money on line and time when it comes time to respool.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-15, 07:15 AM   #15
keithdog

I think I've tried Kevin's trick a hundred times and never once has it worked for me. But I still try it when a back lash happens.
Old 04-12-15, 04:29 PM   #16
Rebbasser

If it is a really bad one I usually end up having to do surgery and respool so no worries there. A minor one I really don't worry about it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.