Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 12-30-12, 02:48 PM   #1
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Question about depth finders

Not being adept with the new stuff,what I want to know is.
Will a humminbird Fish Finder 571 HD DI Down Imaging fish finder work well at speed like as on plane?
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 02:53 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

muley...i don't think ANY sonar will work on plane at WOT. mine don't. i mean i can see some things, but not spefic things at that speed. i use the over sight graph for staying out of bad spots at that speed. like staying in the main channerl when going form one place ot another. watchign the depth of the water. not looking for fish. shen i stop and more or less crawl mine shows fish and structure better. but now my sonar is old. new to me, but still old compaired to the new ones. it is not an hd di down inmaging. but that is on my list of things to upgrade my rig with.
Old 12-30-12, 03:22 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My birds do on plane even a pirhana up to 70 mph,after that still works just blinks or flashes depth with no contour past 80(gps not speedo) I know,that boat is now gone,but wanted to know if that model would do to say 60mph or works only at idle speed,as di.
Think that is where switchfire kicks in dunno.
If yours has a menu try upgrading the scroll speed,do have a much older unit that does loose it all above 46 but much older.

Last edited by lilmule; 12-30-12 at 03:29 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-12, 03:37 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I am gonna partially answer your question and hope it steers you in the right direction, because I don't know for sure whether this relates to the 578 or not.

With the side imaging units such as my 1198, you can get a Y cable and a through the hull transducer. The Y cable will connect to the side imaging transducer as well as the through the hull transducer. Then you can switch to the through the hull transducer when your on plane, because your side imaging transducer is mounted in such a way that it will be out of the water when the boat is on plane. Your side imaging won't work with this transducer, but you would probably get to use your 2D sonar, and certainly would get depth readings. I guess you just need to find out if they offer the same system for the 578.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.