Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-13, 09:27 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Line taper when spooling a spinning reel?

In the box of my new Okuma spinning reel, came a small bag with a few washer in it. You take washer off the spool stem, or add some to adjust the taper of your line on the spool; either tapering up or down.

So what's you two cents on line taper? What do you think results would be if line was be taper up or down. I'm sure any difference would be negligible, but never-the-less.

Interested your input.
Old 01-18-13, 09:50 PM   #2
bamabassman

would it make it cast futrher? or smoother? i dunno.....
Old 01-19-13, 12:04 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The washers are intended to adjust the taper out of the spool.

Brings up an interesting question though, both my Daiwa spinnings reel have spools that taper down towards the bottom of the spool. However, the line lays very flat on both the Fuego and Certate. No other brand seems to have this design. Now I'm wondering what the purpose of it is...

BB
Old 01-19-13, 12:10 AM   #4
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm not a spinning reel guy by any means but I don't know If I even know what you're talking about. I've never heard of making a taper in the spool.
Old 01-19-13, 01:51 AM   #5
joedog

I am a spinning guy but I thought the extra washers were for replacing worn washers.
Different manufacturers beleive in the extras, some don't.
Similar to, some come with an extra spool, some don't.

Now this is a good question for 'Pro's' help!
Old 01-19-13, 10:12 AM   #6
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I don't understand the use of the word "taper" either. The washers are to fine-tune spool position and encourage level line lay without bunching at either end of the spool.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-13, 01:41 PM   #7
Rebbasser

I never even thought about line taper on spinning reels, but then I don't use them very often so it really doesn't make a difference one way or the other to me.
Old 01-19-13, 01:48 PM   #8
Bassboss

I thought it might be kinda hard to understand what I was talking about, lol. I'll throw in illustration together photoshop later today so you know can get about idea of what I'm talking about. Some of you already do though!
Old 01-19-13, 07:33 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
I don't understand the use of the word "taper" either. The washers are to fine-tune spool position and encourage level line lay without bunching at either end of the spool.

oe
I believe you've got it right in regards to the extra washers.

What bassboss means (or at least, what I think he means) is the exact opposite of the level line you're talking about, or making it uneven on purpose. I personally don't know how much this would affect anything, or if it even would.

BB
Old 01-19-13, 08:38 PM   #10
islandbass

I know my symetre came with extra washers to address this. I think can be used to meet different needs.

1) If without the washers you notice that the line is not laying evenly you might need to add or subtract a washer or two to attain a level laying of the line. I have never ever had to use washers to "correct" an incorrect laying of line. I wonder if a line's diameter might be the culprit in either extreme of small spool to very thick line or large spool to very thin line. Just don't know.

2) As you know, stiffer fc lines and thicker monos can "jump" off the spool when the bail is open. I read somewhere that making the line lay tapered, perhaps, fatter toward you and thinner away from you could help. To me, I would rather use a thinner line or fill the spool with less line. Seems easier IMHO.

I would love to hear from a fellow member who actually needed to use washers to ensure either an even laying of line or use them to intentionally create a tapered line lay.

Great subject!
Old 01-19-13, 08:56 PM   #11
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Most of the time the spool should be fine when you get the reel. Sometimes, they won't be exactly right and you may need to add or remove a washer from the spool stack. The spool stack is on the spool shaft under the spool. They have a variety of thick and thin washers to get it in exactly the right spot. The intention was always to get the line to lay even and level, however, some may prefer more line to the back with thicker lines and more line to the front with thinner lines. More to the back will help to keep loops from falling off with thicker lines. More to the front will make a longer cast easier with thinner lines. Thats the theory anyway. I'm not sure that the difference would be much.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-13, 09:01 PM   #12
joedog

Again, no knowledge question for Island.

So the manufacturer expects someone to go back, take reel apart and switch washer EVERY time you change substantial line weight?

How about if you use backing. Lot of anglers use different strengths for backing and main line. Different diameters.

Never have I read with any reel that came with washers, instructions about line taper or the washers period for that matter. Seeing few know about line taper, some mention would/should be made.
Heck they explain how to cast them in the owners manual.

Now I've had reels that after a clean or just heavy use and adjustments needed to be adjusted. But once adjusted, problem fixed for all diameters.
Now last time spool wound heavy towards the top end.
Using 8-14 lb. line. When casting the loops from over line release or 'loops' was terrible!

Last edited by joedog; 01-19-13 at 10:53 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-13, 10:37 PM   #13
kennethdaysale

Click image for larger version

Name:	winding shape.jpg
Views:	3790
Size:	470.8 KB
ID:	8486

Never wanted or needed to use these washers but they come with every Shimano reel I've ever bought.
Old 01-19-13, 10:38 PM   #14
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've always made sure mine layed the line level and then left them alone.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-13, 11:06 PM   #15
Bassboss

What I spool the 6lb AbrazX I got onto the reel, I think I'll try tapering it; upwards that is (thick en to the top of the spool). What you said makes sense IB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Attachment 8486

Never wanted or needed to use these washers but they come with every Shimano reel I've ever bought.
That's exactly what I'm talking about Ken!
Old 01-20-13, 04:13 AM   #16
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Attachment 8486

Right on, KD! Man, I was combing through my archive of articles like a dingbat trying to find it, but of course, it had to be the Shimano spinning reel manual, lol. A duh and DOH! moment all in one. Thanks!
Old 01-20-13, 03:17 PM   #17
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Most of the time the spool should be fine when you get the reel. Sometimes, they won't be exactly right and you may need to add or remove a washer from the spool stack. The spool stack is on the spool shaft under the spool. They have a variety of thick and thin washers to get it in exactly the right spot. The intention was always to get the line to lay even and level, however, some may prefer more line to the back with thicker lines and more line to the front with thinner lines. More to the back will help to keep loops from falling off with thicker lines. More to the front will make a longer cast easier with thinner lines. Thats the theory anyway. I'm not sure that the difference would be much.
Very interesting; I haven't heard this theory before. Like you, I really doubt the difference would be that much unless it's a large reel with a considerable amount of line.

Have any idea of the reasoning behind Daiwa's tapered spool? You can see the slight taper on the picture below.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.