Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 08-03-13, 04:49 AM   #1
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default My Thursday report

Chris and I decided to hit some small lakes Thursday to see if we could do any good. First lake was a bust, 4 dinks in 3 hours so we drove 15 minutes to the next lake in hopes of some better fishing.
I caught one that looked good right off the bat on a Pit Boss but it was 19-20 inches long and so skinny it probably didn't weigh 3 pounds. We were catching a little one now and then and were starting to think about trying Critzer since Chris hadn't ever fished it before. I wanted to hit the trees at the far south end and then one stretch on the east side. First tree I pitched into on the south end my line jumped almost as soon as it hit the water, she caught it pretty good on the drop.

She looks bigger than she was I guess. Weighed her twice and came out 3lbs 12ozs both times.

We caught a few more and got to the last stretch I wanted to fish so I got brave and broke out my Slammer despite it being hot, sunny, and dead calm. One of my first casts I caught my first largemouth on my Slammer.

Chris was wondering out loud what makes a fish eat that big, goofy looking bait. I was explaining to him during my retrieve that if I slow it down like this it wakes just like a big shad dying on the top that needs to be eaten BLAM!

20 inches and 4.5 pounds makes her my biggest swimbait fish to date.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 02:42 PM   #2
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nice fish! I'm about to make the jump into swimbait fishing too. I've got several Hudds, mostly 68's and a couple of 8"ers, a couple of Swavers, Ospreys, and Mattlures. I need to get a Slammer and a few more hard baits.

What rod are you throwing your big baits with?
Old 08-03-13, 07:50 PM   #3
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Nice fish! I'm about to make the jump into swimbait fishing too. I've got several Hudds, mostly 68's and a couple of 8"ers, a couple of Swavers, Ospreys, and Mattlures. I need to get a Slammer and a few more hard baits.

What rod are you throwing your big baits with?
I fish mine on a 7' 10" H/F BPS Extreme with a 300E and 25lb Maxima. I've used it to fish 6 and 8 inch Hudds, this 7" Slammer, Mattlures hardbass, Mattlures trout, a 6" Bull Shad, and an A-rig with no problems tossing any of them or handling fish on any of them.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 08:57 PM   #4
aikenyounggun

Sweet. And great swimbait fish. Definitely something I got to work on (at least the big ones). Nice fish though. Great job like always
Old 08-03-13, 10:09 PM   #5
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebasser86 View Post
I fish mine on a 7' 10" H/F BPS Extreme with a 300E and 25lb Maxima. I've used it to fish 6 and 8 inch Hudds, this 7" Slammer, Mattlures hardbass, Mattlures trout, a 6" Bull Shad, and an A-rig with no problems tossing any of them or handling fish on any of them.
Cool! I just pulled the trigger on an Okuma Guide Select 7'6" Heavy. I think it will be good for the soft baits I will probably throw most often.

Last edited by Jrob78; 08-03-13 at 11:40 PM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 11:14 PM   #6
WatterBoy

Nice fish and great pics!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-13, 09:07 AM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

dadgummit blue.....you are THE MAN my friend. always love seeing oyur pics.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.