Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-11, 02:01 AM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default My first rod build

Well I finished building my first rod. While it wasn't easy, I don't think it turned out bad at all. I learned a lot from building this rod, but I have a lot more to learn. I will come clean and admit that I didn't know the first thing about rod building when I started this project. I honestly didn't know what components I wanted or why but with the help of a few of the rod builders on here I felt my way through it. I had a tough time deciding what technique I wanted to build a rod for but I ended up building a cranking stick mainly for squarebill crankbaits. I built it on a 7' medium heavy MHX Blend blank which is crazy light for the money invested in the rod. I used Fuji Alconite guides, a Fuji ACS reel seat, and an EVA split grip. I found the toughest part to be wrapping the guides as well as epoxying them. The biggest mistake I made was getting too carried away with the epoxy when finishing the guides, I will be sure to go a lot slower with it next time. I wasn't going to stress too much over making mistakes on this rod as it was just a hands on learning experience for my future builds. All and all I am very happy with how well this rod turned out. I built it to compliment the Revo SX that I put on it and I think they make a good looking couple.

I also learned that black thread was probably a bad choice for my first build because it was so hard to see. I looked and looked to make sure that my wraps were all packed tight and I didn't leave any gaps but it turns out I missed a few. If I would have used a different color thread I would have been able to see these gaps and fix them.

carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.