Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-06, 11:24 AM   #1
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default To all BRAID users!

I've seen a lot of you switching over to the dark side using braid. If you haven't used it yet, or haven't had the chance to TRULY test the brute strength of braid, I can assure you, you'll LOVE IT!!! However because of its low stretch, thin diameter and awsome strength I'd like to offer a suggestion. Check your rod guides. Braid will often dig into the rod guides causing grooves especially when you catch a big fish or get hung up. These grooves can cause your line to fray as it runs through the grooves. I'd visually inspect your guides and use your fingernails to feel for any grooves that the braid may have cut into your guides. Hopefully this tip will prevent somebody from losing a hog because their grooves caused their line to fray and break.

Another tip from PNJ and maybe a few others is to reuse your braid. After it gets a little worn, unspool the line and use the other end.
Old 04-19-06, 11:49 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

rather than filing away those grooves, I wonder if there is a clear epoxy that you could put a thin layer of and fill those groves with, and not take away from the appearance of the guide.

Last edited by JB; 04-20-06 at 05:39 AM.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 11:55 AM   #3
Rodman_Rob

I wouldn't even suggest filing the grooves or an epoxy, a small spur is all thats needed to fray the line, I'd just get an all new guide.
Old 04-19-06, 01:52 PM   #4
Bender

I have also heard of people breaking rods using braid becuase (like I did at first) they tighten down the drag since the line is so strong. Looesen up the drag a bit since there is so little stretch, your rods and the fish's mouths will thank you.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-06, 02:32 PM   #5
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
I have also heard of people breaking rods using braid becuase (like I did at first) they tighten down the drag since the line is so strong. Looesen up the drag a bit since there is so little stretch, your rods and the fish's mouths will thank you.
yeah, I've broker a few rods with braid, but it was AFTER I TIGHTENED the drag to get my lures free from snags.
Old 04-19-06, 08:56 PM   #6
bass kicker

to test for small grooves in the guide use t cutip they work great to find them grooves

and replacing the guide is the best thing to do but thanks for postin this i just heard all this stuff on a fishing show on the weekend
Old 04-20-06, 01:16 AM   #7
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
rather than filing away those groves, I wonder if there is a clear epoxy that you could put a thin layer of and fill those groves with, and not take away from the appearance of the guide.
Usually, groves are filled with trees, the groovy ones anyway.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-06, 06:45 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
rather than filing away those grooves, I wonder if there is a clear epoxy that you could put a thin layer of and fill those groves with, and not take away from the appearance of the guide.
Sorry buddy no can do. The grooves once there are there. Replace the guide. Speaking of replacing the guide I know it may cost abit but if anyone on the board requires custom rod service give me a holler.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.