Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-09, 06:26 AM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Angry Stren Sonic Braid - Terrible

After returning home from Patoka today, I stripped off all of the 30 lb Stren Sonic braid on my spinnerbait/Jig rod and threw it in the trash.

It will never touch my reels again.

I snapped off and lost another 5/8 oz. spinnerbait again on a cast that dug in. That is 3 snapp-offs and two lost spinnerbaits in as many fishing trips. Expensive lesson! I'm not faulting the braid for digging in, I could fix that with just a heavier pound test. The breaking off though...that is ridiculous. For Stren to slap "30 lb test" on this stuff is a joke. It's a shame because the stuff does cast smoother than any other braid I've used. Whatever modifications they made to the line to make it slicker are certainly harming the line's strength though. DO NOT BUY THIS BRAID!!!
Old 08-16-09, 12:32 PM   #2
Backwater Charlie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Don't worry, I won't be buying braid anytime soon. I don't use the stuff. Mostly I fish soft plastics, actually around 80% of the time, and I'm fine with my mono and occasional fluorocarbon for shallow, clear water bass. When I'm not fishing plastics I also fish jigs. But I'm fine with 17 or 20 lb. mono.
Old 08-16-09, 03:21 PM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

no fear get yourself some 20lb p-line fluoroclear it's what I toss my spinners on and very rarely have a problem .

Jim
Old 08-16-09, 03:25 PM   #4
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

nofear...idk if u have tried power pro yet or not. but it is what i use on my frog rod...i have not had any problems with it. the few times it has dug in i have had no problems with it breaking off.
Old 08-16-09, 04:47 PM   #5
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin spro View Post
nofear...idk if u have tried power pro yet or not. but it is what i use on my frog rod...i have not had any problems with it. the few times it has dug in i have had no problems with it breaking off.
I have to agree. I'm into my third year using Power Pro and have never had any problems. Works very well. I did try Stren Braid once, and once was enough for me too.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 04:52 PM   #6
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Nofear,

Jim has a good point re "FloroClear" (Correct spelling; P-Line dropped the "u" for that label.) in that it is a very versatile line, useful for virtually all applications except for hard topwaters and frogs (it sinks more readily and can affect lure action.)
As an alternative other than braid, P-Line ExtraStrong AKA CXX is one I'd recommend even over the P-Line FloroClear if you are fishing in an environment where abrasion is likely. It's a harder mono and a bit stiffer but when throwing larger spinnerbaits and large T/W; Spooks, large BuZZZZZZZZbaits, or any other fairly weighty projectile you'll be fine.
I can attest to the fine qualities of either line. Choose based on environment and application.
Good Luck!

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09, 08:21 PM   #7
Bassboss

Well thanks for the heads up nofear!

I was fishing my favorite jig today, and was using power pro. I was casting a 1/2 oz jig and and few times it stopped cause of line dig (I was even using 40lb). I cast and my jig just flew right off!! First time it's ever happened to me, so I'll see what happens later on..........
Old 08-16-09, 10:14 PM   #8
nofearengineer

I've used Power Pro before, and I've still got a bit left on a filler spool. I may try it again, as I've eliminated a lot of the other variables I was having trouble with since I switched to Stren. Now that all I'm having trouble with is my line, it might work well for me.

I have some 30lb PP left. I hear you guys talk about using 50-60lb. I also use that rod for jigging (but not for any topwater stuff like frogs...we don't have that kind of weeds here). 50lb is a bit more expensive. Do you have any trouble with tip wrapping? I hate losing spinnerbaits, but I'd hate losing a rod tip even more hehe.
Old 08-17-09, 03:26 AM   #9
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Nofear,

I appreciate the heads up on that line. The only two braids I have used (and I see no need to look elsewhere) are PPro and stealth, with a slight edge given to the former only because PPro seems "rounder" to me.

I hardly ever experience line dig and I think the things I do actually help to greatly minimize it.

As for the line wrapping around the tip, I have a solution for that. My best guess from personal observation is that it is partially due to how limp braid is. After the cast, it "lazily" falls as dictated be gravity while we are watching our lure fly away from us. Before we know it, the line comes to rest on the rod tip.

The solution is simple. Shortly after your cast, move your rod tip just a little to the left or right (5-10 degrees is all you need, just a itsy bitsy twitch). This moves the rod tip out of the line's falling path.

The other time this tip wrapping deal happens is during the retrieval, closer to the end of the retrieve and usually on a long pause. As the lure gets closer to the angler, the rod tip usually becomes higher (unless you're working it on a horizontal plane, ie, to the side). On a long pause, once again the rod's tip isn't moving and it is once again in the path of the falling line. Same thing. Just make sure the rod's tip is not in the path of the line falling.

Line wrapping around the tip can happen with any line, and I seem to notice that it can happen with greater frequency with lines that are thinner and limper than those that are not.

It doesn't matter how you do it, you just have to make sure that the rod's tip is not in the path of the falling line.
Old 08-17-09, 09:51 AM   #10
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I've used Power Pro before, and I've still got a bit left on a filler spool. I may try it again, as I've eliminated a lot of the other variables I was having trouble with since I switched to Stren. Now that all I'm having trouble with is my line, it might work well for me.

I have some 30lb PP left. I hear you guys talk about using 50-60lb. I also use that rod for jigging (but not for any topwater stuff like frogs...we don't have that kind of weeds here). 50lb is a bit more expensive. Do you have any trouble with tip wrapping? I hate losing spinnerbaits, but I'd hate losing a rod tip even more hehe.
Hardly ever! Even if I did, I very really fish anything over 1/2 oz. When I fish worms, it's almost always 3/16, 1/4 oz. And spinnerbaits, 1/4 oz and 3/8.

I'm gonna try sufix or fire line on my next reel though!
Old 08-17-09, 07:12 PM   #11
swimbaitkid
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
After returning home from Patoka today, I stripped off all of the 30 lb Stren Sonic braid on my spinnerbait/Jig rod and threw it in the trash.

It will never touch my reels again.

I snapped off and lost another 5/8 oz. spinnerbait again on a cast that dug in. That is 3 snapp-offs and two lost spinnerbaits in as many fishing trips. Expensive lesson! I'm not faulting the braid for digging in, I could fix that with just a heavier pound test. The breaking off though...that is ridiculous. For Stren to slap "30 lb test" on this stuff is a joke. It's a shame because the stuff does cast smoother than any other braid I've used. Whatever modifications they made to the line to make it slicker are certainly harming the line's strength though. DO NOT BUY THIS BRAID!!!
Try heavier braid,if you are breaking off with 30lb,i just use spiderwire,and dont go lighter than 65lb braid,its got such a small diamiter,its easy to cast and doesnt break
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.