Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-08, 03:13 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default First Fish of 2008 and First Field Test of Split Grip Rods

My first fish of the season was an unintended consequence of field-testing my two “new” rods. I finally got a chance to field-test them in an on the water situation.

The Lightning rod was tested first. A ½ oz football jig was dragged along the bottom with a sweet beaver as the trailer and the reel was a Curado 101D with 10# Sufix Siege mono. The Rapala rod was tested second. A ¼ oz drop shot weight and a flat, 3” brown FX Roboworm were used in conjunction with my daughter’s 1500 Daiwa Sweepfire spooled with 6# Stren mono.

My expected findings for the rods were:

Berkley Lightning Rod
Enhanced sensitivity as a result of palm in contact with blank
Bottom piece of cork, although small, should be sufficient for making two-handed casts without the fingers touching the blank.

Findings: True. Contact with the blank did result in receiving clearer feedback. I was able to paint a good picture of the grassy bottom. The set up is extremely comfortable to wield. Two-handed casts are very easy to make without the bottom hand touching the blank. Alright!

Rapala Spinning Rod
No significant increase in sensitivity even with split grip because no part of the palm is in contact with the blank with hand in default position.

Findings: Holding the rod was very comfortable. As for my expectations, it might possibly not be true. I have mentioned in other threads that the sensitivity of this rod was unbelievably poor, but I was able to get a good read of the bottom almost as well as the lightning rod. However here is the kicker…

I just learned from four other folks fishing that the lake had recently been stocked with rainbow trout. When I heard that, I knew I could nail at least one rainbow with the drop shot.

After a few casts and retrieves to get a feel with the Rapala rod, I made a cast where the trout were. No rocket science here. The trout anglers were getting bites with the Power Bait. On the first retrieve I felt two little hits on the dead stick. The second retrieve I felt a couple hits on the dead stick and on the third retrieve, I knew I got one. Yee ha! First fish of the season and although it wasn’t a bass, I’ll take it. The last fish I caught was in August 2007. Don’t know about you, but that is a long time. I am glad to get the funk off.

I really don’t think my ability to better feel the bite is a direct result of the split grip conversion. Yet, in 40-degree weather with cold hands and being pelted by intermittent rain and hail, I was still able to feel those hits and the eventual strike that hooked a little trout, and on monofilament to boot.

I am inclined to believe that my perception of “improved” sensitivity might be more a function of knowing I put some time and effort into converting the rod and therefore psychologically it is a “better” rod in my hands.

Here is a picture of the little trout.

I started fishing at about 5:15 pm and was back in the car all packed by 5:45 pm. It was definitely a sweet evening. Not only did I catch the first fish of the season and used the converted rods for the first time one the water; it was the first fish I ever caught from this lake (0 for 5 initially). Bass beware… I’m coming after you soon.

I am very happy with both rods. The lightning rod will get more use this season, and I think I found a new trout rod.

-ib

Conditions:
Overcast – Rain and Hail, 40 degrees Fahrenheit = UGLY

Old 04-10-08, 03:41 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Congrats on the first fish of the season! Do you think you'll try and make the rapala more sensitive my removing more of the cork, or will you leave it how it is.

BTW I Figured out what I'm going to do on my rod. I'm taking off 8" from the top and putting a new tip on. Then taking 4" off the handel and putting on a cork composite butt cap. this will bring the rod down to 6' Then I will be making it a split grip. I'll be using it for Jerkbaits now and topwaters in the summer.

Thanks for sharing IB, good to know about the split grips. I'm making mine a split grip just cause it looks awesome!

BB
Old 04-10-08, 04:51 PM   #3
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Interesting read, there, IB! Thanks for the post!!

-Pig
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 10:39 AM   #4
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BigBassin,

I am going to leave it. Winter is over and that means tinkering too. It's now time to go fishing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.