Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-08, 08:43 PM   #1
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Wink quik crappie question

i know this is a bass fishin website but how can i catch a crappie. i dont know where to find them. i dont have a boat either. thanks
danielbasspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 08:59 PM   #2
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

under bridges where it is deep
Old 10-30-08, 10:10 PM   #3
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

minnow and small hooks. find the right depth and find where the fish are located. catch 100 crappie and call it a day. don't find the right depth or where the fish are and you won't catch squat.
Old 10-31-08, 09:40 AM   #4
Mac2

Under certain conditions, crappie will stack. They actually will stack with the larger ones hanging near the bottom and the farther upward you fish, the smaller the fish. At other times they will suspend over wood......I've marked them suspending at ten feet over wood on the bottom at 25 feet....if you can find bottom wood or brush, try there. They also move around following the bait fish, so give each spot a good try....they may be returning at any given time.

A number 6 tru turn hook is a good bet...hooking the minnows though the lips. Some use bobbers, some small split shot, others use nothing and just let the minnow swim free....they will almost always head for cover, a likely place to find bigger fish. At other times, the crappie will be out in the open waters....just have to keep trying different things at different times.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 09:54 AM   #5
robertmee

Is there a 'time of the year' for fishing them? I fish in Lake Gaston (NC/VA), so if anyone knows specific to that lake, that'd be helpful. I'm up on the West end by Kerr Lake Dam. There are three bridges within a mile. I-85, the steel bridge RR, and the US1 overpass at the boat ramp.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 10:31 AM   #6
Jigger

My favorite time to fish for them is in the Spring, either pre spawn, during the spawn or post spawn. They are shallow during this time and easy to catch on an 1/8 oz plain lead head jig with either a curly tail trailer or a crappie tube trailer. Blue and white combined is my favorite color but white or chartruese can be good too. I just go down the bank with my trolling motor casting to likely areas (gravel or sand or other hard bottom good for spawning) and cast to the bank and work the jig SLOOOOOOOWLY to the boat usually with a lift, wind, and fall retrieve. Sometimes they're right on the bank and sometimes they're in the deeper water waiting to move up and spawn.

In the Winter they will sometimes stack up in planted brush piles and can be taken by anchoring directly over the brushpile and fishing straight down with either a jig or minnows. If you fish a jig this time of year, just let it straight down in or near the brush pile and don't even move it. They'll hit it setting dead still. Of course it's not really dead still what with the rocking of the boat and all but the point is, when it's really cold keep it as still as possible.

I don't fish for them in the Summer because they're too hard for me to find. They get deep and scatter out and I can't find them in the numbers that I can in the Spring and Winter.

Last edited by Jigger; 10-31-08 at 10:35 AM. Reason: left something out.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 10:58 AM   #7
woody

My daughter and me located a school next to some stickups.
We were using minnys with just a little weight fishin straight down next to the stickups I had tied the boat off too.
At first she was fishin from the bow and me the stern.
I hooked the first one and then my daughter wasted no time moving in on me! LOL
Well, she caught the next 18 while I did all the work, I would'nt of had it any other way!

Here some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LINDSAYS LUCKY DAY JULY 29, 2006 027.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	2794   Click image for larger version

Name:	LINDSAYS LUCKY DAY JULY 29, 2006 024.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	2795  
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-08, 06:42 PM   #8
woody

I've caught them mostly in water thats a little deeper, say 10 to 15' range.
They tend to stack up near cover, I like to look for stickups (submerged trees)
Using minnows with a small hook and 1/8 ounce split shot sinker and since you'll be fishin from the bank, you will need a bobber. I'll start by fishin the bait near the bottom, then gradually, about 12" or so at a time, start raising the bait by adjusting the depth of your bobber until you find out what depth there in. Genrally if you don't get bit within a few minutes it's time to make a move.

One other thing, crappies have soft lips, so you can rip those hooks right out if your not carefull.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.