Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 05-07-11, 03:43 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default My First Two Fishing Outings in 2011

My First Two Fishing Outings in 2011

Outing #1 – Monday, May 2, 2011

The first outing left a bitter taste of rust, or at least the shaking of it off, as I attempted to catch for my first bass with a jig a rubber skirt. If you didn’t know, jigs and I don’t get along. Could you imagine entering your eighth season of fishing and still NOT landing a bass with a jig and rubber skirt? Oh the embarrassment! To add salt to the wound, I was pleasantly surprised to have had not one but two excellent opportunities to finally get this done while fishing through hand-numbing cold, non-stop, pouring rain.

From the dock, I pitched my jig right where I intended (grass and old lily pad remains) and watched it descend about five feet to the bottom. Shortly after the jig hit bottom, a 15” largemouth bass came out of nowhere and inspected the jig. I gave it a tiny hop and that was all she needed to commit to the strike. In my thoughts I shouted, “Ah yeah!!” Then, I set the hook. Unfortunately, the excitement of the situation overcame my usually cool and collected approach and I yanked the jig away a split second too soon. The silent, “Ah yeah,” was followed by a loud and verbal, “Oh no!”

I let the environment rest a few minutes and tried again in another spot close to where I made the first cast. Can you believe I did the exact same thing again?

Further attempts yield no other takers and neither did changing tactics. 0 for 2 can make you blue, especially if you haven’t fished for bass since last October. The poor weather didn’t help either.

Conditions: Miserable – Overcast, constant rain, about 45 degrees F.
Gear:
Rod #1 Cabelas Mag-Touch casting, Curado 101D, Black and Blue jig with a zipper worm as a trailer, 8# Spiderwire Mono

Rod#2 Shimano Compre spinning, Rapala 6Sxi reel, various plastics, 6# Invizx.

Outing #2 – Friday, May 6, 2011

This was definitely an unplanned trip. Had to run some errands downtown and happened to have one rig, a casting rod and a reel and some finesse tackle with me. The weather conditions were overcast as is was on the first trip, but this time there was no accompanying rain.

I only had time to use one tactic and I chose the drop shot. After a number of snags, forced break offs, and trying two different plastics, I finally broke through with the third bait, a brown sniper snub. After dragging the drop shot rig about three times, I felt a mushy take and I knew it was game on and fortunately this time around, I remained composed.

Yes! My first bass of the season, and I am glad to get that monkey off of my back. I released the bass after taking a photo and it swam away vigorously. I am glad I caught her when I did because I was also out of time.

Conditions: Fair – Overcast, but dry about 50 degrees F.
Gear:
Cabelas Mag-Touch casting, Curado 101D, Sniper Snub worms, 8# Spiderwire Mono

Not a pig, and not taken with a jig, but I’ll take her!
Old 05-07-11, 04:11 AM   #2
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Very healthy looking fish! Always good to get that first one out of the way. Just stick with the jig, they are an amazing fish catching tool. It's crazy how such a simple looking bait can be so hard to figure out isn't it?
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11, 08:19 AM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Purdy Smallmouth, IB.

As for your premature hookset issue, I think it's because your water is so clear. If you're watching a jig sink to 5 feet, it must be pretty clear.

Next time you see a fish swimming up on it, look away and fish by feel. It will help you further develop your already "mad skillz". Plus, it's all part of the fun waiting for those almost imperceptible pick ups sometimes.
Old 05-07-11, 01:08 PM   #4
Bassboss

Very nice smallmouth Alex, looks like a good way to start the season!
Old 05-07-11, 04:53 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh that's pretty! Great looking smallie!!!
Old 05-07-11, 08:32 PM   #6
keithdog

Thats is a really pretty picture and a beautiful smallie. I like norfears suggestion of looking away. Blind people develope senses other than site because they are forced to. I often have cast out jigs, worms and whatever and closed my eyes as I work the retrieve simply so I can better concentrate on "feel".
Old 05-07-11, 10:44 PM   #7
Tavery5

Great looking fish
Old 05-07-11, 11:48 PM   #8
bamabassman

GOOD GAWD WHAT A SMALLIE!!! tha thang is sooo putry too. i want one, or 2 or...........

congrats island. i know there will be more from oyu this year my friend and i can't wait to see them.
Old 05-08-11, 03:55 PM   #9
WatterBoy

I always enjoy all the details of your stories, IB, so thanks for sharing those. Congrats on getting that first bass of the year out of way, and keep 'em coming!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-11, 04:20 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

What a pretty fish! Congrats man and I enjoyed reading your post.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11, 12:27 AM   #11
islandbass

Thanks, guys!

Nofear,

You pretty much nailed it. My hookup ratio is definitely higher when I don't see that take. I will have to force myself to look away to improve my chances.

Now I gotta land my first LMB of the season.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.