Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-26-12, 10:35 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default The River.....follow up

I didn't want to start a new thread but this river thing kind of evolved into a multi thread topic so thought this would work best.
First and for most I want to thank everyone who took the time to help with ideas AND presentations.
I think I tried them all so if you don't see your idea my guess is I tried it but neglected to mention it. But be comfortable in asking me. again.
So tried the spinners next day. Literally took 5 different color, blade, size different hairpins and threw them for like an hour.
No luck.
Then I tried the in-lines....not luck plus low water and rock made them somewhat troublesome.
Tried chatterbaits.
No luck.
Then I realized that the pike bites were coming from 'bassin techniques'.
So back to lizzards (space monkies) and flukes (cafene shads).

Then I tried Trilene XL Armor Coated for the pilling challenge.
Only mono I have used in like 8-10 years but I was pleasantly surprised.
Was tough and abrasion resistant.
The castability of mono on spinning gear was forgotten by me along time ago. Line was 12lb and caught some 3ft plus northerns with no breakage even after the pilings. The challenge, the line float. It just seemed to 'bow' in the wrong place usually and there was no real feel. After fishing floro, coply and braid for so long the non-feel was challenging for me.
So solution, Suffix Invisiline.
Jury still out because I've caught a few smallies (target fish) but no pike.
So I don't know about strength an abrsion resistance quite yet but the line is nice. I did come to realize though that the $12 spool was only a hundred yards of line not traditional 240. So that fluking stuff is EXPENSIVE! Time will tell but I'm not sure it's worth $35 for 240 feet of it.

Next the pike bite off challenge.
Now my target is River Small mouth but the Northerns seem to be the only ones in a fall feeding frenzy. I've caught as many as 12 in a day....and as few as ZERO. Most are biting on space monkeys but the flukes have definitly caught thier share.
So I tried titanum leaders with clips cause I needed 'fluke action' and hoped the clips would free up more movement. Sorted helped. It's no where near the floro action by itself but with the cafene's tail the action wasn't bad.
Next I tried different lengths, 6in. seems the best.
Next texas rigging space monkies.
Using tieable wire (Cortland Toothey Critter) so the tungstun bullet wieght can slide up and down. Works incredible.
The feeling of knowing that what ever is biting I can set and set hard without any thought of 'teeth cutting line'.
The smallies don't really seem to mind either but thier bite has slowed alot. I think they just don't like competing with ALL the pike. 2-4 year old pike are VERY aggresive. Plus they're like 2 1/2- 3 feet plus, fighting, eating machines.
Now I should mention that when pike take a lizzard it's not that visious strike like on a crank or frog. It's just a kind of gulp and swim away type thing. Actually untill the set, it's hard to tell the difference from a smallie bite or a pike....but after the hook set....you know. It usually is as lite as a 'worm tick' on a texas rig. The not knowing really has increased the fun.
Next, with the fall die off of vegatation the rivers are full of floatin vegies. Not just surface but 2-6 in. below. You can't reel in floro or mono without bringing in 'some' vegatation especially if I'm cross fishing current.
So...braid and frogs. I tied Cortland, a foot and a half leader to the braid with a uni to uni. Frogs loose a little walk the dog action but when fished down river there is as much or as little action as you want...just not really walking. If done right though the current turns the frog body making the next pop a semi-walking motion.
The braid works the best with the vegatation. Brings back the least veggies plus good feel (on tight line).
I litterally had a 40 incher jump COMPLETLY full body plus in ther air with lure in mouth. Got it to shore too. Measured but it took a full five minutes of holding it in the water to help it recover enough not to go down river and belly up. Thing was beat up like NO other fish I ever remember catching. Not from me, just from life in the Rock River I guess.

Anyway thanks to all of you again for ideas and your always welcome advice.
Have the very best day you possible can, PLEASE!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.