Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Bragging Board & Monkey Talk

Old 07-04-15, 10:43 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Had a decent day on 7-3-15

Had the day off so was on the water by 3:45 AM. This lake near my home has no real launch or parking lot. Just a sandy beach and very limited parking along the road, so gotta get there early or go elsewhere. Anyways, picked up 9 bass and three pike. Lost a huge pike that bit through my line and stole one of my favorite spinner baits. Didn't want anything to do with pike anyways, but in this lake, you just have to accept that they will find you. The lake was treated for weeds again this year, with much of the cabbage and milfoil dying or missing altogether which made locating the bass much harder. I took my pitching rig planning to work through the weed beds with my favorite pitching baits, only to find there were no weed beds. I occasionally would bring up a strand or two in deeper water by accident. But the bass didn't really seem to be on any particular pattern, or preferring any one technique. I basically caught them on about anything roaming around the lake. Flint lake is a small natural Midwestern lake. About 95 acres I believe. Took them on a Jitterbug before sunrise. They ignored my buzz bait for some reason. That usually produces. Also caught them on a black spinner bait. After sunrise, they hit spinner baits, crank baits, lipless crank baits, t rigged worms worked on the bottom in 12 foot of water, soft jerk baits. They didn't touch any jigs or Senko style worms. And, I never caught more than one fish from one spot. The water conditions were very cloudy, which is not the norm. Flint lake is usually fairly clear water with several feet of visibility. Sometimes almost bath tub clear. The discolored water was probably from the dying vegetation, and perhaps from all the run off from the record rainfall we had this June. We set an all time record for rain fall in June. Oddly, the lake while a little high, was not as high as I would have suspected. I did find several dead pan fish along the shoreline where I launch the boat. Not sure what that was all about. So while I caught my share, it was a lot of work and some frustration. And with no real lake bottom features to hold the fish, it was pretty much just a hunt and peck deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0703151227~2~2.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	9110  
Old 07-04-15, 10:48 AM   #2
keithdog

Here is a map of Flint Lake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	publicLakeImageServlet_lakeId=B3AD8A8B-B335-AC67-38A2-28EF10DC111C.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	9111  
Old 07-04-15, 04:11 PM   #3
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I hate it when people who live on a lake overpower the ecologist and get the vegetation killed off.
Now they can ski in their putrifying lake water ... isn't that grand?

At least you were able to locate and catch some fish. On water like that, I usually end up slow swimming a medium sized, rattling and suspending crank bait all day long.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-15, 07:25 PM   #4
Thornback
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Well done report.
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-15, 07:31 PM   #5
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Keith, thanks for the share!

Boy do I know the old Pike story!
Now I know you said the day was frustrating BUT I love a story when an angler just keeps at it.
Trying all different baits/lures and not getting stuck on the woulda, coulda, shoulda mindset we all at times fall into.

On the brighter side....the Pike made the Bait Monkey smile. (You know Pike are actually put in Lakes at the Monkey's request. )

And it looks like you caught Friday nights dinner anyways.
Old 07-05-15, 12:15 AM   #6
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
I hate it when people who live on a lake overpower the ecologist and get the vegetation killed off.
Now they can ski in their putrifying lake water ... isn't that grand?

At least you were able to locate and catch some fish. On water like that, I usually end up slow swimming a medium sized, rattling and suspending crank bait all day long.
Our area lakes are controlled in part by a conservancy district. I believe it is they who kill them off, seems every other year. We have Eurasian Milfoil in our lakes and it can and does get out of control if left untreated. But they overdue it in my opinion. But, I am sure all the folks who own homes on the lake push for it to be done. The lake is pretty much ringed with homes and cabin, and many of them have boats. Can get too busy to fish some days.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.