Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-06, 11:56 AM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Lake trout and walleye fishing

The following has been written in my best possible grammar to maximize chances or response:

Hey guys...well on satuday i'll be camping near Ricketts Glen State Park and then fishing the Susquehana River. Well, I already googled trout fishing, came upwith a few articles. I found a nice rig to use... the lake (Lake Jean) is about 15 feet at deepest according to a report i read. Most articles were on river trout but i managed to find some lake trout info. The thing is, I want to have 2 rigs. With one I will be bassin'. The other one, I just want to let it sit there, with a bobber perhaps. he rod that I let sit will be my "dinner rod", and any legal fish that comes off that rod (which would be trout or walleye) should be very tasty. For trout I'll fish the morning... getting up at 4 and fishing till 3. I haven't researched walleye yet but I'm pretty sure the bite is best at night. So i will fish walleye when i get back from my smallie trip on susquehana (at about 9). To the point... I will be using a Light or Medium light rod- need help on choosing this. I know the park I usually fish has some stocked trout, and small catfish. I want to be able to use the rod I get later. I was thinking Medium light because i could catch walleye on that too. As to baits, I want something that sits still so I can work the bassin' lure on the other rod. For trout, it will be corn. What I need is a hook size. I'll figure a walleye bait in a bit, need more research. Line I was going to use 6 pound test for the trout, and 8 on another spool for walleye. Rod I don't know yet, reel is likely to be an Abu Garcia Cardinal 101. Any tips on technique and equipment would be appreciated

Please help me out here, I want to catch a new species very badly.

EDIT: Ok I did some research. Apparently July and August aren't the best times to fish walleye. However, I found that the walleye rig is the same rig as trout! So, here's the scenario. Walleye bite nightcrawlers... I'm thinking at night I bait the hook with trout worm. This way I can target both walleye and trout, possibly yellow perch. But I think regular nightcrawlers would work better. Now I am leaning much more to the side of medium light rod with 6 pound test on the Cardinal, but I would like to here your reccomendations. Thanks

-cranky

Last edited by crankybait; 08-08-06 at 12:18 PM.
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 01:05 PM   #2
bassking22
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Also, if availabe, use leeches for walleye, you can fish the under a bobber, or tip a crappie jig with one. For trout, corn and powerbait under a bobber, I would use 8 lb line, and for trout, you can also use trout flies on a spinner. You can buy these at walmart, and I prefer a Joes Flies purple passion, in the biggest size.
Old 08-08-06, 01:52 PM   #3
mack

cranky if your interested in catching trout, use a worm with a small split shot (no bobber) 12 inches above..you can catch catfish, trout, and bass on this rig. for walleye, use a jig with a minnow or leech and drag it across the bottom...for trout, id use a 6 foot medium action rod...for walleye a 6 foot 6 inch medium heavy rod...
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 02:49 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

cranky,
this time of year the walleye can be taken by crankbaits on plainer boards, but for shoreline angling or what ever you'll be doing, get some nightcrawlers and a harness, throw is out and work it on the bottom...they have been hitting this rig most of the summer, and yes, most all the oHIo lakes have walleye and saugeye, in them , all the locals us this method, its very similiar to working a plastic worm...just about any Kmart or Walmart sells this rig, or make your own!
Click image for larger version

Name:	rig.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	689
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 04:23 PM   #5
mack

cranky, here is a website wher can watch fishing shows....they have some walleye and lake trout videos..thought youd like this and it might help...

http://216.240.150.89/archive.html
Old 08-08-06, 07:03 PM   #6
crankybait

alright cool guys. yep i think il get a worm harness. I spoke to the owner of Emerald Rods and a while back he said ML was for trout and walleye... i have 2 mediums so i guess I'll just get a ML anyway. i can have 3 rigs out. only thing is the ugly stik isn't very sensitive. so i don't know if i should be doing trout fishing... i mean i can only work one rod at a time... so I'll see if there is catfish. I guess I'll target all sorts of fish. I'll throw worms corn, leeches, minnows... heck I'm fishign the whole day i got the time to experiment. thanks guys
Old 08-08-06, 07:14 PM   #7
mack

cranky you dont need to feel the bites..leave some slack out and if you see the line going out steadily, set the hook...
Old 08-08-06, 08:58 PM   #8
crankybait

Oh, cool. So my Ugly stik would do? That's a good point about not needing to feel bites because the rod wo'nt be in my hands anyway. Reel im getting the cardinal anyway, I've been wanting another cardinal for a while.
Old 08-08-06, 10:04 PM   #9
mack

any rod with the right action will do..just make sure you give it some slack and look at it every once and awhile...
Old 08-08-06, 10:08 PM   #10
bassking22

Yeah just let out a lil slack, so it has a slight curve, and if it goes tight, you got a big'un.
Old 08-08-06, 10:08 PM   #11
crankybait

alright that sounds cool, thanks a lot. ad will troutbite the nightcrawler too? i always wondered why they had nightcrawlers, then they had trout worms.
Old 08-08-06, 10:11 PM   #12
mack

to me they are all the same..i use nightcrawlers for trout..caught a 5 pound trout on a nightcrawler with a split shot 12 inches above on my last outing..
Old 08-08-06, 10:15 PM   #13
crankybait

OK that is great. just went and Bbought sometrilene 6 lb XT, and a few split shots. Forgot the hooks. I'm going size 10, get those later. And are trout mouths really that weak? I'm used to setting the hook hard, I do it so often hopingill get a bass...
Old 08-08-06, 10:21 PM   #14
bassking22

Oh also try some Salmon eggs. You might want to purchase a worm bloer, so your worms will float. The best walleye rig, in my opinion, is a medium slip sinker, with a snelled #1 hook, with a nightcrawler on it, just thread him on, leave a long end, and use a worm blower in the end of the worm to make it float. My friend won a walleye tourney this way.
Old 08-08-06, 10:24 PM   #15
mack

here is a pic of the 5 pound trout
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trout 4.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	690  
Old 08-08-06, 10:27 PM   #16
bassking22

NICE!, was she good eatin?
Old 08-08-06, 10:31 PM   #17
mack

yea...i caught a 4 pounder that day too that day on a nightcrawler but i posted the bigger on...i bring them to an italian restaurant in town and they cook my fish for me...trout are awesome...
Old 08-08-06, 10:32 PM   #18
bassking22

Cool, what kind of trout is that?
Old 08-08-06, 10:36 PM   #19
mack

rainbow trout..i need to learn how to hold them better...i they always flop out of my hand so i hold them like that..but trout fishing was good for me this year...4 pounder, 5 pounder, and a 6 pounder..not bad for my first year...

(ok so my friend put me on my fish..so what lol...)
Old 08-08-06, 10:44 PM   #20
mack

oh and cranky, are these trout stocked or native..im guessing they are stocked since native trout need deeper (than 15 feet) and colder water...if they are stocked, you might not have as good of a chance for trout as you would in the colder months...alot of the stocked trout die in the summer..
Old 08-08-06, 10:46 PM   #21
bassking22

Good job this year, mack, youll probably end up converting to a trout fisher lol. Yeah the fish is hard to identify, because of the light, and the angle.
Old 08-08-06, 10:46 PM   #22
mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait
OK that is great. just went and Bbought sometrilene 6 lb XT, and a few split shots. Forgot the hooks. I'm going size 10, get those later. And are trout mouths really that weak? I'm used to setting the hook hard, I do it so often hopingill get a bass...
i dont care what you are fishing for, set the hook as hard as you can..never hold back..the weaker the hookset, the more chance you have of not having it hooked good..
Old 08-08-06, 10:47 PM   #23
mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassking22
Good job this year, mack, youll probably end up converting to a trout fisher lol. Yeah the fish is hard to identify, because of the light, and the angle.
thanks...lol..ill always be a bass fisherman.

(and a secret carp fisherman ...seriously i love to fish carp)
Old 08-08-06, 10:48 PM   #24
bassking22

Yeah, good rule of thumb, except for crappie, they have papermouths lol.
Old 08-08-06, 10:49 PM   #25
bassking22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack
thanks...lol..ill always be a bass fisherman.

(and a secret carp fisherman ...seriously i love to fish carp)
Never carp fished, but any fishing is fun for me.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.