Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-27-08, 06:51 PM   #1
noboatyet
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Epic battle today!

My first fish of the season and it was a whopper. I was bank fishing (see name) and I got near the docks at the marina but the security guy ran me away. Ok so I go to where the fresh water feed is to the lake, right at the mouth. Using a frog (pretty big one) I threw it out. Figured it its big enough to mouth this frog its big. He hit and hit hard and I missed him. Threw it out again and I got him...fought him but my drag was to low, brought him to the surface and he was big (id guess 5-6lbs) He got off and I brought the line back in. Had to reshape the hook cus he bent it out of whack, Reset the hook in the frong threw it out, hooked him again, once again drag to low lost him, then i threw it out again and some kid wants me to help round his dog up. Back to my spot and the fish on the frog again, nearly lost my pole. The kid was just watching and waiting as I lost him once more. Set my drag all the way up, fresh frog, bent the hook again and got him on the four cast. He fought like hell but i landed him and he was big. Biggest I've caught. I have pretty big hands and my hand almost went in his mouth. Was going to get the kid to stick his arm down his mouth to show scale but he was messing with his dog. BIG FISH BIG FIGHT BIG DAY!!!
I was a happy fisher!

Oh btw I did let him go. I want somthing 7-9lbs for my mantle, he didn't cut it
noboatyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 07:18 PM   #2
Buckeyefishing
BassFishin.Com Member

Congratulations !
Glad you were finally the victor but always check your drag before you start fishing to be sure it is set properly. I know it is easy to start casting when you get to your fishing hole because your anxious to set the hook on one. I have done the same thing but experiences have made me aware of how important it is to have the drag set prior to casting. Have a great year of hook setting.
BF
Buckeyefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 07:18 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hey no boat. First, I love the name, LOL. Now thats funny right there. Makes me think I should change mine to notmuchofaboat. Congrats on landing such a nice bass for your first catch of the year. Would have been a wild sequence to catch on video. You sure it was the same fish? I'm guessing you had more than one bigmouth in that area. Either way sounds like fun. I was wondering if mayby you need a heavier outfit for fishing with frog baits. Sounds like the hook wasn't fully penetrating the basses mouth.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-08, 07:30 PM   #4
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Good job man! I am still waiting for my irst Bass of the year. ihopeitssoon!
Old 04-27-08, 10:36 PM   #5
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

congrats and hope you get many more plus the wall hanger.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 01:29 PM   #6
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevomac59 View Post
ihopeitssoon!
I will personally know the world's comin' to an end when Steve-O puts his handle as this...

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 02:38 PM   #7
MississippiBoy

Great story, noboat. I think I'd retire that hook/frog, if I were you. If a 5-6 pounder straightened it, imagine what your wall-hanger target 9 pounder would do.
Oh, and if y'all start seeing a new guy posting on here under the name of p!sspoorboat, that's me!
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 07:44 PM   #8
bassinbob

Ain't frog fishing great? I got a 5lber. a few years ago on a horny toad. She went after it three times. Third time was the charm. Like you did I always throw back to a missed topwater fish.
Old 04-28-08, 09:46 PM   #9
stevomac59
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post
I will personally know the world's comin' to an end when Steve-O puts his handle as this...

-Buzz

lol dontyouknowit

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.