Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-08, 08:13 PM   #1
brendon_green
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to brendon_green
Default Baitcaster reels

hi guys im new to the bass fishin website. just looking for some input on a really good baitcaster. as of right now i have a shimano catalyst. id like to know whats the say top 5 baitcasters out right now and also rells. thanks for your help.
brendon_green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:25 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

First off, welcome to the Nut-House.

There a lot of good reels out there. at the top of my list would be higher end Daiwa's (Viento, Zillion, etc.), and Abu Garcia Revo's are good reels. Shimano also makes a good BC reel as well as quantum. Those are pretty much your four big brands. I don't hear so much about Pflueger, and have never tried one, but they make BPS's reels and the Johnny Morris Signature reel is great. I love the Dual Brake System (BPS reels) or Ultimate Braking System (Pflueger).

It really all depends on what you're willing to spend and personal preference. I like the Daiwa's (the majority of them) and the Abu Garcia's because they are small, while mosst of the quantums and pfluegers are not. I have small hands so I like a smaller reel.

Hope this helps, and again, welcome.

BB
Old 04-24-08, 08:34 PM   #3
brendon_green
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks ill def look at Daiwa then and how about rods? i had a low end shimano but it broke end of last year.
Old 04-24-08, 08:35 PM   #4
bamabassman

bb is right on. ifn you can afford them. i would buy the revo ifn i had the money. and welcome to the house o nuts. feed da bait monkey and you'll do fine.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-08, 08:39 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon_green View Post
thanks ill def look at Daiwa then and how about rods? i had a low end shimano but it broke end of last year.
As for rods, I've got a couple BPS rods (a Johnny Morris Signature and a Pro Qualifier.) they are both a bit heavy, but still nice rods. I'm a big fan of Shimano rods (Crucials or Compres) They are very light. I'm actually getting a Shimano Crucial Drop Shot rod soon (when I get some money ) I also like Falcon rods (also very light), and All Star rods. I don't know why, but I've never really wanted a St. Croix or G. Loomis. They are both good rods though (I can barely afford the Shimano rod, so I've kinda not even looked at the Loomis rods. )

Of the ones I mentioned, Falcon and Shimano are my favorites.

BB
Old 04-24-08, 08:49 PM   #6
brendon_green
BassFishin.Com Member

so it would be fine to have a Daiwa Zillion reel and a Shimano Crucial rod?
Old 04-24-08, 09:49 PM   #7
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

That is a loaded question! You should go to a big store with lots of reels and try them out to see how they fit your hand. Personally the Revos do not fit my hand, so I traded mine away, even though they seem to be the hot reel on the market right now. In the $250 price range I love the Chronarch Mg from Shimano, personally. I have never tried the Zillion.
As far as rods it is a little different. I think that rods are more specialize by what you want to do with them. Reels are too, but I think rods are more so. Again get to the store and feel them out before spending a good chunk of money. As far as brands you can't really go wrong with Falcon (I want to get a new Cara), but there are also a ton of others out there from the big names to the smaller companies that may only be available in your local higher end tackle shops. Also take into account the warranty, since rods tend to get broken. Hope that helps.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 12:32 AM   #8
carolina-rig-01

i have a few revos and love them to death, by far my favorite reel that i have ever thrown. also i have a bps extreme and for a middle of the road priced reel they are really sweet!
Old 04-25-08, 09:25 AM   #9
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ardent is the only baitcaster i'll buy for now on. It is made in america. I have bean blind in the past. I want quality. Ardent offers that. At allot cheaper price than Shimano. Plus i am concerned about where my money goes & putting our country first.http://www.ardentoutdoors.com/default.asp
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-08, 09:58 PM   #10
bamabassman

moose those are sweeeeeeeettt!!! gonna get me one at christmas.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-08, 01:31 AM   #11
carolina-rig-01

ardent is one reel that i would love to throw around a little. i have heard that they are great reels but i don't want to drop that much money on a reel that is made by a company that i have no experience with, even if they are made in my backyard.
Old 04-26-08, 10:11 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon_green View Post
so it would be fine to have a Daiwa Zillion reel and a Shimano Crucial rod?
You can put whatever reel on whatever rods you want. I love the zillion and can't wait until I can afford one.

BB
Old 04-29-08, 05:30 AM   #13
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

for affordability and toughness you have to go old school. any of the abu 5000 round reels will be in your boat for years to come. i bought a revo this year and i love it...and i'll have more like it. but for a guy starting out on a budget round is where its at.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.