Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-08, 01:42 PM   #1
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing
Default Hmmmmmm...

Well, it's that time again. Yep, time to start looking at another rod. In that case, I guess it's not "that time again", rather, "Darnit, Bait Monkey, get off my case!"...

This time around, it's hard to decide which I should purchase, a Frog Stick, or a Lipless Rod. I use lipless baits quite a bit, but I'm not too good at them; I've never used a frog with zeal. So....
  • Would you recommend a Frog Stick, or a Lipless Rod?
I'm looking to spend around $120-200 on a rod, likewise with a reel.

I have a few ideas of what I may want, but I want some opinions before I say anything.

Thanks in advance,

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 01:55 PM   #2
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

It depends on what you already have. Are you going to dedicate the rod you will buy to that technique, and that technique only? If so, just decide what you will use more.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 02:20 PM   #3
Buzz Wing

I will most likely be dedicating the Frog Stick, probably not the Lipless Rod.

-Buzz
Old 04-28-08, 05:39 PM   #4
doc

In that case get one of each.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 05:54 PM   #5
Buzz Wing

Here...

Lipless Rod: 3/8-1 ounce Trap's, Redeye Shad's, etc., and 3/8-1 ounce spinnerbaits.

Frog Stick: Horny Toad's, Buzzfrog's, etc., and SPRO's, Bobby's Perfect Frog, etc...

-Buzz
Old 04-28-08, 05:58 PM   #6
doc

I personally love to frog fish, but will never have a "frogging" rod.

I think we get to wrapped up in all the hype sometimes, I understand different rods for different presentations but to classify a rod as a frog, or strictly spinnerbait rod is a little much for my budjet.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 07:04 PM   #7
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Buzz, a M action rod will handle the lipless baits and a H action will handle the frog. I have a H action I use for both frogs and hula grubs-I rarely fish both at the same time.

I think getting a dedicated lipless rod is a real good idea-I always have one tied on.
Old 04-28-08, 07:37 PM   #8
bassinbob

Buzz, definatly a frog rod. Maybe I am a little biased. If you choose the other I won't be mad. lol
Old 04-28-08, 07:47 PM   #9
BERKLEY83
BassFishin.Com Active Member

For My Lipless I Use A Mh For A Frog Rod H The Reason For The Mh Is A Lot Of Grass On The Bottom Here In Fl. If It Was My Pick Would Be A Lipless Rod
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 07:53 PM   #10
Buzz Wing

Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I am definitely getting the Lipless Rod since I'll be using it with spinnerbaits and lipless baits. Here's my idea of an ideal rod/reel...

Reel: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...IWA-TDACA.html ; Left-Handed

Rod: St. Croix Premier Crankbait Casting Rod: 7'0'', Heavy, Moderate Action, 1/2-1 3/8. I am picking heavy because this rod has a moderate action. I already own a Premier Crankbait rod with moderate action, it's a MH, but it feels like a M, so I figure the H will feel more like MH.

-Buzz
Old 04-28-08, 09:51 PM   #11
flbassman

I'm not as advanced as y'all, but for bass fishin, I've got a 6'6" medium action fenwick with an abu baitcaster, two or three cheapo lights/ultralights, and a Shimano rod reel combo, 6', medium action, 12 pound class line. Works fine for me. I'm not making a living off bass fishin, and it takes some of the fun away for me when it becomes more of a scientific formula than just being out on the water havin fun. Don't mean to burst your bubble, but just get a decent rod. It'll catch fish. For 8000 some odd years people used a straight piece of wood. The bass don't see your rod. By something decent and save some money. Put it into tackle, gas, your car, charity, savings, whatever. There's people starving, do you really need a seperate rod for fishing with rat-l-traps versus frogs?

Sorry for the rant, I just feel that sometimes fishing is overcomplicated, and that really takes away from the point of going fishing....
Old 04-28-08, 11:07 PM   #12
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I am definitely getting the Lipless Rod since I'll be using it with spinnerbaits and lipless baits. Here's my idea of an ideal rod/reel...

Reel: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...IWA-TDACA.html ; Left-Handed

Rod: St. Croix Premier Crankbait Casting Rod: 7'0'', Heavy, Moderate Action, 1/2-1 3/8. I am picking heavy because this rod has a moderate action. I already own a Premier Crankbait rod with moderate action, it's a MH, but it feels like a M, so I figure the H will feel more like MH.

-Buzz
hey buzz,,do your self a favor and go w/a falcon rod,they are great rods,,and,,made right here in the good ole USA
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 06:51 AM   #13
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I thought you already bought a frog/grass rod?! anyways I'd go for the lipless crankbait rod. I don't know why, but I'm not a big fan of st croix. I'd get the falcon rod too, or an all star or shimano.

BB
Old 04-29-08, 03:45 PM   #14
Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I thought you already bought a frog/grass rod?! anyways I'd go for the lipless crankbait rod. I don't know why, but I'm not a big fan of st croix. I'd get the falcon rod too, or an all star or shimano.

BB
Try a Croix, you'll love 'em! Falcons are great rods too. I already own two and haven't a complaint. Low Rider, spinning and casting, both great rods for the price.

-Buzz

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.