Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-08, 04:16 PM   #1
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default No new boat for awhile.

Many of you are aware that i use to own a lund. Well i sold it awhile back. Mostly beacause of fear with a 3rd child comming. Not knowing whether i could aford it. For a short time i realized i could & was on the look out for another boat. In the mean time the father in law says use mine as much as you want. Now gas prices are at an all time high. Now i know i really can't afford it. I baught a small canoe. I still use the father inlaws Gruman deck boat. I use it on the big water. But believe the canoe is a god sent. 1. I feal like i'm taking a refresher course in fishing. 2. I'm fishing small back water creaks & small rivers that are mostly untouched of any fishing pressure. I like that very much no crowds. I'm also buying a memborship to a private lake. That will not allow access to any outboard what so ever. It's called Wild Wood lake. This is the famous lake that i use to fish with Harold Ensley in the late 80's. No i think i'll fish like this for a while. I like the quietness. I like the fact that i don't contend with wakes. I like being 20 miles from no body Not even another single boat. I feel like i'm more in touch with nature than ever before. I also feel like i've come full circle in fishing because of it.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 07:08 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Moose, there is a lot to be said for fishing those kind of waters. I've got an electrics only lake about 30 miles from here I love to fish-good ramp but no lake lice wake boats or skiers and I really enjoy it.

I haven't thought about Harold Ensley in years-I loved watching him when I was a kid.
Old 04-28-08, 07:31 PM   #3
bassinbob

I couldn't agree more. The lake I mostly fish has a 10 hp. limit and a lot of the trout lakes that hold bass are electric only. Once the trouters get the early season out of their systems I have a lot of water to myself. No new boat for me either. The one I was going to get was sold. Plus I had some wind damage this past winter and need a new roof.
Old 04-28-08, 07:44 PM   #4
BERKLEY83
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I Love My Little Boat I Can Get In Places Other Boats Would Not Think About Going.
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 08:09 PM   #5
WTL

There are a ton of people on here who feel the same way you do about small boats, and they are coming back into vogue in fishing circles I think. There are just too many advantages to them. I have some very strong opinions about what a bass boat will look like in 15 years, and I'm not envisioning a TR-24 with a 300 horse motor.
Old 04-28-08, 08:15 PM   #6
Marty

Quote:
I baught a small canoe. I still use the father inlaws Gruman deck boat. I use it on the big water. But believe the canoe is a god sent. 1. I feal like i'm taking a refresher course in fishing. 2. I'm fishing small back water creaks & small rivers that are mostly untouched of any fishing pressure.
I bought a canoe last year after 15 years of wishy-washiness. How I wish I could be transported back in time so I could have bought it years earlier.

Some of the small ponds have some pretty big bass. I also take it out on a couple of large lakes where the launch is near the end of the lake and I can fish out of the way of boat traffic.

Obviously I can't cover all the water I'd like, but it has made a huge difference in my fishing, in that it gives me some independence in allowing me to get out on the water without waiting for an invitation from boat-owning friends.

For all you shorebound anglers, I'd recommend that you consider an inexpensive small boat; you'd be surprised at what it can do for you.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-08, 08:20 PM   #7
bamabassman

would love to have a flat bottom boat as well. just for the type of waters you are talking about. maybe in a couple of years. congrats moose. god love ya.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-08, 09:23 AM   #8
Lilmoosecountry

I'm fishing a river called the little blue. It has a few areas where people fish from shore. It does feed into the missouri. This little river snakes all over the metro area. But i bet aleast 90% is untouched fishing waters. I like not sharing the water with 1000 boats in area.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.