Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-06-08, 07:07 AM   #1
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Unhappy Tragedy in Texiz.

Had this relayed to me by a most respected basser:

"A three-year-old boy and a man in his 20's are in the hospital after a
boating accident in Guadalupe County."

here we go....

The boat crash happened just west of Seguin, on Lake Placid. People said
there was such a loud bang, people knew something was wrong.

"We had people across the street, which isn't on the lake, coming
running over here because they heard the sound," said Jim Monkerud who
witnessed the accident.

"We weren't sure what it was, we thought somebody might have hit a
dock," said Monkerud.

But it wasn't a dock. Two boats had collided.

"We ran down," said Monkerud. "You could see blood in the water and
people yelling and screaming, so we called 911."

"It looked like the boat that was pulling a tuber struck the back end of
the boat that was pulling out of the slip," said Game Warden Kevin Frazier.

The collision caused two people to be airlifted to University Hospital.
The three-year-old had head injuries and the man was on the brink of
losing his arm.

Fraizer said the driver of the boat had been drinking and has been
charged with intoxication assault with a vehicle.

The three-year-old has been transported to a hospital in Fort Worth. The
man in his 20's ended up losing his arm and is still in critical
condition at University Hospital.

End Story

For the (hopefully) few here who think it ain't fishing (or, God forbid, hunting,) without a few brewskis; Is this enough to wake you up?
If not, how about the incident on Canyon lake two weeks ago?
A guy fell off the tube his blitzed buddy was towing him on. Said drunk buddy circled to pick him up. The prop got him. Dead in the water. Buddy charged with Intoxication Manslaughter and BUI. Frankly, in both cases, I'd prefer they be charged with Murder Two.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 09:27 AM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

L6 you my friend are "dead" on pal. if there is one thing i hate more than anything, it is drinking while boating or hunting or driving. i ain't no angel, had my days of it too. but i lived to regret it. ashamed of what i did in the past. ain't NOBODY gonna get in my boat with beer or anything. i have 2 neiceces that i just taught how to run our pontoon boat. 2 things i told them first. 1; there is no brakes on a boat of any kind. so slow down ahead of time. 2; watch out for the others on the water. because you never know what THEY are gonna do. the place we have the camper is a great little place, but there are soo many wave runners and skiers that it is too crowded in my opion. but the water is an open space with no traffic lanes. so one has to watch for everyone around them when out there. i have seen first hand what happens when 2 boats hit head on....not a pretty site. so please everyone, if your gona drink, do it in moderation and on the bank, not in the boat. God help the person that hits any of my family....cause i won't. i agree that they should be charged with murder. it is a crime.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 12:02 PM   #3
frogfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That's some serious stuff there.
frogfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 02:14 PM   #4
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Seems the 4th of July weekend is one of the worst times to be injured by some yahoo boating. Very sad this happened. My uncle is a EMT down on Canyon lake, and was on call during the accident a few weeks ago. I just got back from a weekend down there, and while we stayed well away from other boats on the main lake, we did have a few "close" calls with skiers, jetskis, etc.

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 03:09 PM   #5
Bob Smith

I wish they would outlaw booze on all public waters! Boats and booze are even worse than cars and booze! So senseless!
Old 07-06-08, 03:12 PM   #6
georgiaboy
BassFishin.Com Member

I am sorry to hear that. I have a 3 year old meyself, (daughter) so this hits a little close to home for me. As much as I love spending time with her there is no way I would take her to lake the with me until she gets older. We tried that one time. Me and the wife took her on a pontoon boat and I was a nervous wreck, all she did the whole time was run and jump around. I know she was excited, but it was still nerve wracking. We'll keep this family in our prayers though.
Old 07-06-08, 11:38 PM   #7
Rebbasser

Quote:
we did have a few "close" calls with skiers, jetskis, etc.
Which is why I don't fish Canyon in the summer very often and NEVER over Memorial Day, the 4th of July, or Labor Day. Too many 3-timers, as in they take their boat out 3 times a year: Memorial Day, the 4th of July, and Labor Day.
Old 07-07-08, 11:54 PM   #8
mariner
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
I wish they would outlaw booze on all public waters! Boats and booze are even worse than cars and booze! So senseless!
it really is and it really makes me mad
the only thing we have had any close encounters with is logs floating in the river and a house boat tried to run me over once and a pleasure boat did to
Old 07-08-08, 09:11 AM   #9
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Texasbasser said " ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems the 4th of July weekend is one of the worst times to be injured by some yahoo boating. Very sad this happened. My uncle is a EMT down on Canyon lake, and was on call during the accident a few weeks ago. I just got back from a weekend down there, and while we stayed well away from other boats on the main lake, we did have a few "close" calls with skiers, jetskis, etc."

I live on the shore of a TVA lake in Tennessee. I have seen and heard of so many drinking related accidents over the years that I cant start to explain the danger involved.WE have a rule at my house. We do not get on the water on the 4th, Labor day or Memorial day. That is when all the amature drunks get ouit and show thier stupidity. Things happen really fast on the water when everyone is sober. Drunk they happen faster and more often. Fish2win
Old 07-08-08, 09:34 AM   #10
JB

its the same here on brookville, only choice we can make is to go out about 5 a.m. and fish till about 9, then get off before the crazies come out.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 05:28 PM   #11
bcklash

JB-- DITTO that on Smith Mountian Lake in Va. By 9 or 10, big boats -thousands of lake lice running around, so we just leave. We have some fatal accidents every year. More on this lake than the rest of Va. combined.
Old 07-08-08, 08:04 PM   #12
CSS2010
BassFishin.Com Member

When I was five or six years old my grandpa was caught in the cross hairs of a drunk knothead on a boat no one was hurt though i just remember him giving me a lecture on alcohol and saying he didnt have his boat any more. I was sadder than you could believe because that was all we did was fish together.
CSS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-08, 07:09 PM   #13
flbassman

I had a pretty good buddy hit a boat while he was jetskiing not too long ago...... He wasn't drinkin,but him and a friend came around a bend in a narrow creek way too fast, and slammed head on into each other and he was thrown off. He hit a tree and died on impact ,his girlfriend flew off the back and got hurt pretty bad. Nobody in the boat was charged, but I'm sure that it'll stick with 'em the rest of their lives. The water's a dangerous place.....

Last edited by flbassman; 07-12-08 at 07:16 PM.
flbassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.