Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-09-08, 12:52 PM   #1
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Pegging a Flippin Wt.

I'm flipping a 1 ounce T.T. Flippin' weight in heavy grass with 25lb Big Game and I'm missing fish. I'm also busting off at the knot and it's getting really expensive every time I do. I need to start pegging the weight and I'm looking for ideas other than toothpicks. Anyone with experience in this technique have any recommendations?

Only weighed in 8.8lbs for 5 fish yesterday in a mid week tournament. I culled up at least a limit of fish to get to that weight too . Caught a lot of 1.5lb fish but lost way too many on the craw . Need to make a change.
Old 07-09-08, 01:00 PM   #2
Captmikestarrett

First and formost go to braid.. 50 lb..

second if are looking a weight change they make a rubber insert bullet weight that peggs nicely.

Northland Sling-Shot Worm Weight

Tried them for busting heavy matts and they work well.

Capt Mike
Old 07-09-08, 01:05 PM   #3
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use a rubber peg, available at BPS, that is a far cheaper solution and can be used with virtually any weight...lead, tungsten, etc.
The BPS peg has a very thin tip so it can get past most line and pass through the very narrow opening in some tungstem weights. Another brand, available at Academy and other outlets, is a little thicker bit will work for most weights.
NEVER use toothpicks save as last resort! They can fatally damage the line, especially fluoro. If you must use a toothpick use only the round ones and slobber like a rabid dawg on it before insertion.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 01:11 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i use the rubber insert too, plus i'd go braid as suggested
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 03:22 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I like the screw on weights.The ones I use now are made by Bullet Weight and lead. I need to get some lighter weights though. I would also go with braid, but I see no need for 50lb. 30lb should work fine, or maybe 40.

BB
Old 07-09-08, 03:27 PM   #6
BassMoJo

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

I Just bite bullet weight or clamp it.
Old 07-09-08, 04:44 PM   #7
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMoJo View Post
I Just bite bullet weight or clamp it.
I gots sum nooz fer yew. Biting OR clamping the weight puts your line at great risk.
Now fer sum advice; Look in them Yaller Pages under Dentists/Orthodontists. Yer gonna need 'em.
Did I mention lead poisoning?

L6
Hoping, praying, that BMJ is only trolling with that post.
Old 07-09-08, 05:32 PM   #8
BigBassin144

I've been biting split shots for as long as I can remeber, so close and open the reusaable ones. I also, depending on the line, cut that with my teeth if I'm too lazy to grab for the pliers that are ALL THE WAY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BOAT...

BB
Old 07-09-08, 07:55 PM   #9
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

How do you set the hook? Do you pop the fish or just pull really hard? I pull and it works. Just a thought.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 09:19 PM   #10
Fishnngolfn

Swimbait - I use a sweeping pull to set the hook. This is because the fish more than likely take the lure when there is slack in the line and you don't know it until you go to swim the bait again. Once I feel that there is a fish I reel in all the slack and make a sweeping pull that is not to hard.

Carolina rig - I heard that it is similar to above. Someone else can answer this one. Maybe CarolinaRig01?

Spinners - The fish usually sets it themselves.

Trig (with plastics) - A hard jerk so the hook goes through the plastic and then the fish.

Floating frogs - I have no clue because I always lose them.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 09:26 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Joolz, cross their eyes man.

BB
Old 07-09-08, 10:11 PM   #12
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Big, no. They will feel the weight and you either won't get a hook in them very well, or you won't at all. Wait, are we talking flipping mats with 3/4oz+ weights?
Yeah, the braid deal will help. Or personally, fluorocarbon is my favorite.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-08, 09:00 AM   #13
BigBassin144

I normally wait til they've got the bait, then set the hook. And I set it hard because most of the time, I won't skin hook a bait when I'm flipping into weeds.

BB
Old 07-10-08, 09:29 AM   #14
crankybait

http://www.parasiteweights.com/
problem solved
Old 07-10-08, 10:22 AM   #15
3dkicker

Thanks for the input.

To answer a few questions brought up and to reply to a few ideas.

Changing to braid. Thought about that too but would prefer to go with 20lb+ mono or fluoro. Couple of pro's I've fished with that do really well with this technique recommend it. If I still have problems after pegging the weight I'll make the switch.

Jools - Depending on the situation determines if I sweep or "pop". I rarely "pop" a fish. This last time I broke off I swept the rod sideways due to the boat position and the direction the fish was moving. I should not have broken off. I think that the Tungsten is sliding up and down the line and causing friction and weakening the knot.

Cranky - got to remember that I'm fishing heavy grass. I've seen those clips but I don't want to add anything that will collect any more grass on the lure as it is. Thanks for the idea.

L & JB - Thanks. I've thought about those rubber pegs and I'll give them a try next time on the water. Any draw backs to them? Are the pegs easy to remove when changing weights?
Old 07-13-08, 04:20 PM   #16
3dkicker

Ok - got out again today on the same grass bed. Fished with my $$ tournament partner to work out the problems. Got the black rubber pegs and pegged the 1 oz weight. Still lost one or two fish but so did the partner. I missed a couple of them on a PnJ also (talk to me here Piggy2!! What's going on??). But I put a bunch of nice fish in the boat too. One thing we figured out is that we may be getting hits from small fish that are picking up the weights and not the whole bait. Tough day on the water today too. Topwater was off compared to the past couple times out.

Check out my new jig post for a pic.

2008 Snakehead count: 2 (3 - if you count partner's snake too)
Old 07-13-08, 11:11 PM   #17
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use a rubber bobber stop to peg my weights. It seems to work pretty well but if your fishing a 1 oz weight that may cause the bobber stop to slide down the line.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-08, 11:19 PM   #18
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Thanks for the input.

To answer a few questions brought up and to reply to a few ideas.

Changing to braid. Thought about that too but would prefer to go with 20lb+ mono or fluoro. Couple of pro's I've fished with that do really well with this technique recommend it. If I still have problems after pegging the weight I'll make the switch.

Jools - Depending on the situation determines if I sweep or "pop". I rarely "pop" a fish. This last time I broke off I swept the rod sideways due to the boat position and the direction the fish was moving. I should not have broken off. I think that the Tungsten is sliding up and down the line and causing friction and weakening the knot.

Cranky - got to remember that I'm fishing heavy grass. I've seen those clips but I don't want to add anything that will collect any more grass on the lure as it is. Thanks for the idea.

L & JB - Thanks. I've thought about those rubber pegs and I'll give them a try next time on the water. Any draw backs to them? Are the pegs easy to remove when changing weights?
No drawbacks of which I'm aware. I remove them by carefully pinching the small excess I sometimes leave at the nose of the weight between thumbnail and forefinger. Or, using a small paper clip, straightened, or a round toothpick, I push the peg from the rear of the weight until I can get a grip. I use the same methods when removing pegs from glass bead.
Again, when using a bead, I peg the bead ahead of the hook and let the weight freely slide.
L6
Old 07-14-08, 11:48 AM   #19
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverml34 View Post
I use a rubber bobber stop to peg my weights. It seems to work pretty well but if your fishing a 1 oz weight that may cause the bobber stop to slide down the line.
Weaverml, the rubber bobber stops are the way to go. Some of the guys in my bass club went to one of those Bass schools and Mike "Ike" recommended them. They turned me on to those things and I gotta' say, they are cheap, easy, and safe for the line.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 12:16 PM   #20
Deacon

After having alot of good responses I am surpirised that noone mentioned the mojo wieght system. I used to peg my weights with a toothpick as well. Then same as you I broke off alot. A friend of mine showed me the Mojo and havent used a toothpick since.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage-MJSSTK.html

Super easy to use and will last longer than a toothpick!!!
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 07:31 PM   #21
rangerryan

i some times use rubberbands. i use short piece of line and run it through one end of the bullet weight and then run it back through leaving a loop. then i put a short piece of rubberband in the loop and pull it into the weight. and then you can just slide the weight up and down the line where ever you want
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 07:39 PM   #22
WTL

One other option nobody mentioned - Pros softbait glue can actually glue a weight to the body of the plastic.
Old 07-15-08, 08:12 AM   #23
fishing man
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
those look awesome, i will have to buy some of those
fishing man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 01:14 PM   #24
3dkicker

Deacon - Mojo system is similar to the rubber pegs. Thanks for the idea.

WTL - I've tried the glue and lasts for a hookset or two for me. The 1oz is just to heavy and tears off the plastic.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.