Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-12, 11:22 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Photograhers, help needed!

Ok, I'm in the Big Fish contest. I don't take pictures! I'm guessing that in my whole life, I MAY have pushed a shutter button a couple of dozen times. No laughing PLEASE! I shore fish thru some treacherous topography and spend a lot of time in waiters in the water. If something should be held...I will definitly drop it!
What do I need/want?

The needs:

Compact, will be carried daily. Already carry to much, have no interest in increasing the load.

Image stabilization- A MUST!!

Waterproof- no exceptions unless....someone can convince me otherwise. I don't want a waterproof camera case. I want a waterproof CAMERA.

Shock resistance- guessing 6ft. probably enough but prefer 10 or more.

Must have time and date stamp-I think almost all do now.

Sand and dust and dirt protection- almost all waterproof are usually dust proof too, but there definetly are better and worse. Like wise with the waterproofing.

The wants:
Ease of use- very important

Best possible still picture. I realize in the waterproof cameras they almost always take a hit in picture quality. Partially just due to waterproofing lense.
Fast repetative picture taking ability.

Video not THAT important, at least at the moment. Seems a lot of cameras tend to spend more and more to improve video instead of STILL pictures (backwards if you ask me)

Rugged and PROVEN WATERPROOFING! I've read alot of reviews, literally hundreds. Just because they say waterproof, doesn't necessarily mean they are waterproof. (You all know by now...I seem to over research.)

Ok the big one...Price.
$100-200
Ideally I'm looking for $200 camera (price point for quality, except Canon Power Shot almost fits all criteria and easily found in the $100 range, Fuji also)for a $100, on sale or other means. I've found that finding a camera at a discounting of 50 percent really isn't that difficult. Finding the right camera at a discounted price is a little more challenging.

I have over researched! I feel like I'm back to my starting point.
If your ideas are above price range still let me know your thoughts and maybe I can find it discounted.
Considered
Panasonic- Lumix line, DMC TS-1 thru TS-3. The DMC TS-10 fits almost everything but reviews aren't really as positive as I ideally would like.
Fuji-FinePix collection, XP-20 ( $120) and above. Again reviews weren't as positive as would like.
Sony Cyber Shot TX-10
Olympus Stylus 8000- slow between pictures reviews say?
Canon Power Shot
....please do not limit your replies to just the above mentioned.
Remember I don't have a CLUE.

All the above are the basics, thinks like manual over-ride, aperature adjusting ect. dosn't scare me although really not necesarry.
I do not and will not carry my phone while fishing...unless alone boat fishing. Don't need or want phone calls when fishing. This is non-negotiable.
I will consider all ideas and help.
Whys are always appreciated!
Price point pretty important can always step up later if I find I've woken the CAMERA MONKEY.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
There are alot of good photographers at this site. PLEASE help me.
I really fear biting off more than I can chew and end up frustrated.
Seeing this will almost definitly be an internet purchase, quality is ESSENTIAL. I don't want to waste time sending back and forth faulty products.

If anyone has recomendations of WHERE to buy, that also would be greatly appreciated.

Have the best week you possible can!

Last edited by joedog; 02-07-12 at 03:51 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-12, 11:34 PM   #2
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Well you killed my advice. I was going to recommend a camera phone
Mine is shock/dust/waterproof to boot!
Old 02-07-12, 12:22 AM   #3
joedog

Default Update

A few links that may help.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q311...pactgrouptest/

http://www.trustedreviews.com/the-be...-2011_round-up

http://www.popphoto.com/gallery/5-be...ompact-cameras

http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/spe...ct-camera.html

http://waterproofdigitalcamerablog.com/

Thanks again for the help!
Old 02-07-12, 08:43 PM   #4
Marty

Quote:
Waterproof- no exceptions unless....someone can convince me otherwise.
I'm not gonna try and convince you since you seem very determined as to what you want. I just want to point out what you probably already know, that waterproof cameras are expensive. If you're willing to drop that requirement, then your selection increases exponentially and you can get some large discounts. And your high quality camera plus a waterproof case will cost considerably less than a so-so waterproof camera.

Regardless of what you get, being able to take pictures of what you catch greatly enhances the overall experience.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-12, 08:46 PM   #5
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
I'm not gonna try and convince you since you seem very determined as to what you want. I just want to point out what you probably already know, that waterproof cameras are expensive. If you're willing to drop that requirement, then your selection increases exponentially and you can get some large discounts. And your high quality camera plus a waterproof case will cost cost considerably less than a so-so waterproof camera.

Regardless of what you get, being able to take pictures of what you catch greatly enhances the overall experience.

I'll second that!
I especially enjoy texting bass pics to John, on Fridays, while he's at work
Old 02-08-12, 03:08 AM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Camera + ZipLock Bag = Waterproof or this handy deal my wife got me for my phone and camera from the Plano series: http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plano_Guide_Guide_Series_Waterproof_Case_1449/descpage-PL1449.html

Only bad thing about the ZL bag is that it will gather condensate in quick temp changes. i.e. Warmly nestled in the tackle box to the morning cool air to photo that fat chunk you just caught.
Old 02-08-12, 06:57 AM   #7
lilmule

One of things you may not have thought about the more expensive the more functions and the more one has to know what each and all do.
Camera phones are ok if for some reason normal camera isnt available,not for quality pics.
Cheap under 100 bucks kodack easy share,auto focus,etc on the dial with pictographs for all settings.Once taken download to computer or go to a walmart if you want printed.

Have no carrying bag,keep indoors at home but in compartment on boat lasted 5 years,prior to replacement with another easy share.I prefer one that has a charger to those with batteries that need changed.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 07:17 AM   #8
joedog

Hey thanks all.
My only logic behind no case solution is...
your wading in like 4-5ft of water, catch a fish, want picture. Now with one hand you hold fish and with the other single hand you now have to get out case, take out camera from case, be sure the waters calm so case doesn't float away after removing camera, (case is now wet and good chance of getting water inside of case even if small amount....?) now you take picture, bass gives that last furious shake of complete frustration, in that split second while my mind is concentrating on the fish.......you all know what happens to the camera, 'KURPLUNK!
I'm fishing in the RAIN, maybe heavy, maybe not. Catch fish, want picture. Case is great until the camera's out of case to take picture.
Lastly, I see how much joy thier cameras bring others. Seeing I don't have a camera, maybe it's time I did?
Yes I do know that as a rule you give up something to get something but not being a camera guy or new to the whole picture taking business...will I even know my picture isn't clear or could use more pixels or what ever my concerns should be. Plus once loaded on computer can't I fix picture quality?

Waterproof phones don't float! With the sleek configuration of most phones can you imagine how easily it could bury itself in the bottom.
Ya, I know the camera doesn't float either but a floating hand or arm band is easily attached. Not so easy with a phone.
I actually went so far as to check out a new process that actually is an aftermarket waterproofing technology that seems promising, I just don't know that I'm the best gunnea pig. Plus still gets lost in the bottom.
I can honestly tell you that I have never taken a picture with any PHONE I've ever had. I'd probably have to get owners manual out just to figure out how. If it wasn't for my competative nature and my new found forum friends, I probably wouldn't have an interest now.

Remember, this guy buying the camera is a glutz!
Heard it takes him two hands just to pick his nose!
This camera without any hesitation, will get dropped, probably into the water.

Thanks again for all your help!
It is really appreciated!
Old 02-08-12, 07:25 AM   #9
joedog

lilmule thanks.
The Kodak waterproof Easyshare was and still is to some extent on list.
Reviews just have strong concern of the actual waterproofing abilities.
Yours ever get wet?
Old 02-08-12, 07:58 AM   #10
lilmule

Rain,dew,constantly,yet never immersed,am carefulll with it.
ky lake is pitching and rolling often with my 52 in troller grabbing air and me with one hand on the pedestal seat.In 6 years of use age never dunked it,im sure that would end its life.
But if something were to happen easily replaced for 70 bucks.Has 10 x zoom easy to operate a true camera for dummies.If you notice none of my pics contain me unless with someone not easy to take a pic of oneself,yet those of the fish and what you see easily done.Background deer are every bit of 200 yards from me.

That was for a distance perspective,ive taken pics of bald eagles,osprey all with decent results.Not superb but decent considering I know lil about cameras that says a lot.
Camera pmones do have 1 advantage many can take a pic by themselves of themselves,bulky larger versions no.
And an expensive camera capable of taking better pics wont unless you can operate all its features.
Thus a camera for dummies,but any of the cheap entry level ones will do.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-08-12 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-08-12, 08:02 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

For taking snapshots of fish, any decent point and shoot (and even the cheap ones now days) will do. Everyone will tell you get their favorite brand, but for your purpose, there isn't going to be much difference.

I shoot with Canon, so that's what I would buy in a P&S (although my new phone has one of the better phone cameras I've seen so I probably won't be buying a P&S anytime soon).

With Kodak going bankrupt, I probably wouldn't buy one. You don't know how long before you have a camera with nowhere to go if something goes wrong.

Canon's PowerShot D10 is the ugliest thing you've ever seen, but has good reviews on major photography sales sites. Not surprisingly, the Canon and Nikon waterproof cameras have some of the highest ratings. Can't go wrong with a camera from either of these manufacturers.

BB
Old 02-08-12, 08:25 AM   #12
kennethdaysale

Joe I can't imagine going fishing without a camera. I am not a camera expert so I can't advise on brand etc. I realized the importance of capturing memories and moments right after my son was born, and I've been doing it ever since. In thirty something years and after thousands of pics I have never dropped a camera in the water. The real challenge is taking pictures of fish by yourself. There is currently no easy answer for this. especially fishing from shore. I have gone so far as to set up my camcorder on a tripod (in the boat) and since it has a remote and still pic capability, just hold the fish and click the remote. With todays advanced tech stuff I envision someone coming out with a waterproof high quality wide angle camera on a headband that voice activated. I've got a flip on a hatcam that you can capture a still from but quality is poor and battery life is too short. Plus I get strange looks from anybody who sees me...might as well be wearing a tin foil cap to ward off evil spirits. Anyway just buy a camera and get started and it will all fall into place over time....just like fishing has.
Old 02-08-12, 09:14 AM   #13
joedog

Thanks again all.
lilmule, any fish pictures with you holding fish?
BigBassin144, thanks! I know your into photography and your input is appreciated.
Ken, I looked into Go Pro. $299.99 I'm not sure I'm there yet. Great camera though!
Bubba thanks, case still isn't really out of question.
Old 02-08-12, 08:35 PM   #14
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
One of things you may not have thought about the more expensive the more functions and the more one has to know what each and all do.
Camera phones are ok if for some reason normal camera isnt available,not for quality pics.
Cheap under 100 bucks kodack easy share,auto focus,etc on the dial with pictographs for all settings.Once taken download to computer or go to a walmart if you want printed.

Have no carrying bag,keep indoors at home but in compartment on boat lasted 5 years,prior to replacement with another easy share.I prefer one that has a charger to those with batteries that need changed.

Unless I'm being paid for my photos, I highly disagree. Especially as overcast as it was.
The great thing about using your camera phone is, you don't have 2 carry a camera and a phone
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=30917
Old 02-08-12, 09:27 PM   #15
lilmule

Guess im an odd critter dont carry a cell ph,just something else with functions to learn,my boat pard does and ive compared the pics,to my untrained eyes the camera is better,but each to his or her own.
Yes heres three pics taken by my boat pard with my camera.
Yes can hand one to someone else point and shoot.

top bass 5lbs 8 oz,bottom one is 4 1/4aterspot on lens by knee as was a light rain,above head is actual mist

Last edited by lilmule; 02-08-12 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 11:35 PM   #16
joedog

Thanks lilmule!
Mallen thanks, you are right, cell cameras have really come a long ways.
What amazes me is that compacts although greatly improved, no where near the pace of cells.
Thanks everyone!
Old 02-11-12, 05:35 PM   #17
Bender

My dad is on a fly fishing trip right now and I convinced him to get a Nikon AW100. It has some features that should be handy like a "glove" mode, underwater mode, and a built-in GPS. It's a bit more expensive than the others you have listed. I told him that I'd buy it from him if he doesn't like it so I might be giving you a first hand review soon. Otherwise I'll let you know what he thinks next week.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 05:53 PM   #18
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
My dad is on a fly fishing trip right now and I convinced him to get a Nikon AW100. It has some features that should be handy like a "glove" mode, underwater mode, and a built-in GPS. It's a bit more expensive than the others you have listed. I told him that I'd buy it from him if he doesn't like it so I might be giving you a first hand review soon. Otherwise I'll let you know what he thinks next week.
I'm really looking forward to it!
When does he get back?...... just messing.
Thanks again!
Old 03-27-12, 03:18 AM   #19
joedog

Default Update

A post that a great new member made got me thinking about not updating on the results;
Got a
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...&page=overview

Got a Lense cleaning kit and a 6in. flexible tripod. You know I'm gonna need it
8 GB high speed low consumption SD memory card..does 1020HD told it's a good card...we'll see
extra 5hr lithium battery
camera case and memory card wallet all three seemed like a good deal and idea at the time
float strap for arm, wrist or wader strap it's waterproof but will sink faster than the Titanic...so you know I need it's own life perserver
Shipped and insured to my door....$175
Camera was like $180 retail...payed $104 for camera but the cameras don't come with a card and the internal memory is good for like maybe 8 pics. Card was like $30, told thats a steal. $10 bucks to insure and the rest...cost the rest. You know the 5hr batteries don't come cheap. I wanted the extra battery, just for that inevitable just incase challenge. Can't see not having a camera case.
You can adjust speed and aperture manually or fully atomatic. Does wide angle, super macro (2 inches I believe), 3D shots (merges three pics) and 720 video. All this can be done above and up to 10 ft. below water, won't freeze or get too hot from climate, (Wisconsin ), and I can drop it....that pretty much sold me with that feature alone..
Camera is way way more than I needed! But the price was right.
The needs were met.
I researched and read a lot of reviews and such on just about every camera that came close to my original post. This one had the most positive reviews.
If I want, the camera should be able to grow with my new hobby, at least for a while.
The growth may not be necessary but I'll share that with the pics.....shortly I hope.

Ya, I got pics!
Haven't quite figured that out yet, sharing photos. Once I edit out all the ones of my feet, the ground, the blank walls, thumbs and every other accidental shot I made.
Ya, lazy...I mean, 'You know how busy I am'!

Anyway I wanted to thank everyone for thier great input!
Old 03-27-12, 07:43 AM   #20
kennethdaysale

Way to go Joe! Congrats on the PPP (perfectly prudent purchase). Heads up on the forums bulit in file size restrictions.....the highest resolution pic you can upload directly from your computer or camera is 3m. If you want us to enjoy your pics in all their 14m glory you'll need to upload them to a pic sharing site like Photobucket first. It's not hard to do once you get the hang. Definately easier (to me) than trying to resize them.
Looking forward to your pic posts. Have fun!
Old 03-27-12, 09:27 AM   #21
joedog

Thanks Ken!
That helps a lot. I had it set to 14 at start, then moved to I think 1m but now I'm going back to auto, unless I come to realize auto takes or switchs m's automatically. Manual has way to many options for me to truely understand with my vast camera knowledge.
All pointers appreciated cause I'm truely struggling with the manual settings, even the semi-auto choices are confusing. One setting only takes picture if your pet shows it's face, then camera remembers and if dog moves out of frame the camera won't shoot till it gets back in picture and then takes shot automatically. Same with a selected person. All pictures can be resized thru the camera with a edit function amongst other things like color quaulity red eye and who knows what else.
I'll be long gone with pictures of my funeral before I figure this thing out.
Thought forcing my self to go manual as opposed to auto would force me to learn......all it's doing is making me want to toss it in the lake and see if waterproofing works along with it's life perserver.
All pointers and help are greatly appreciated cause again, I got more camera than I needed or understand!
Wow I hope I don't regret my decision! Currently starting to feel like I may have goofed.

Again, pointers are MORE than welcome!
Old 03-27-12, 09:53 AM   #22
bassboogieman

Quote:
I do not and will not carry my phone while fishing...unless alone boat fishing. Don't need or want phone calls when fishing. This is non-negotiable.
Cripes man, you don't have to turn it on.
Most phones today take pretty darn nice pictures - at close range especially.
And you never know when a cell phone may come in handy.
Guys our age are only a heartbeat away from an ambulance ride.
Well hopefully not, but you never know. I would think a cell phone would be something most of us would want handy (especailly when out and about ALONE) you never know - the car may not start or you fall down and can't get up....................

Most of the point & shoots ($100 - $150)) work well, again like a cell phone for non-specialized photo needs. I have two Olympus cameras but unlike a cell phone - they won't be much help in an emergency. The other nice thing about the cell phone............. if you happen to catch a nice one, you can send the picture IMMEDIATELY to your fishing buddies and let them eat their hearts out!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 10:05 AM   #23
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you want to shoot it in manual, you'll need to learn the Exposure Triangle. Consisting of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO.

My advice however, would be to just shoot it in auto. For snapshots of fish, that's fine. For the camera and your type of shooting, the biggest advantage to being able to adjust settings in manual mode is when the auto mode doesn't get something right.

BB
Old 03-27-12, 03:56 PM   #24
joedog

Thanks all!
bassboogie, your right. I have needed it and wish I had it, plus I've had parameds needed assisstance but by the time they're needed they IV me back and I don't get much warning, if any. But you are still right regardless of my bulls**t excuses but somethings are...... 'more important than that.'
BigBassin, you are so right on the money!....point and shoot does mean I point it towards wanted pic, right?
Hey thanks again and keep it coming....please.
Have the very best day you possible can!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.