Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-05, 03:56 AM   #1
dwmfishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dwmfishin
Default swimming a jig

Hey, i read an article on swimming a jig. Have you guys heard of it? Is it a new or old technique? I think it is where you have a jig and a trailer and you swim it as opposed to jiggin it? I dont know. Thanks. ~discgolfer
dwmfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 12:26 PM   #2
Worm_King
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Worm_King
Default Re: swimming a jig

I just read an article about it in In-Fisherman magazine. Sounds like the technique has been around for 10-15 years but the guys who discovered and developed it kept it under a pretty tight lid for a long time and it's just now hitting the mainstream. From what I gather swimming a jig is like throwing a buzz/crank/spinnerbait. One of the guys they interviewed throws it out and reels it in as fast as he can keeping it just below or on the surface of the water. Others fish it more like a spinnerbait where they let it fall in the water column and then start cranking it in when it gets to the depth they want it. As with everything else there are different techniques that guys have started incorporating that all seem to work.
Worm_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 01:02 PM   #3
jeffman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jeffman

DISCO,

It works very well in the spring using a jig with a pork trailer in a bluegill pattern, and works very well in the fall of the year using a white jig and pork trailer to emulate large shad.
You can cast, pitch or flip to a target (brush, stump, laydown, etc) and let it fall naturally, then swim it back in an undulating manner.

JackL
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 03:07 PM   #4
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I'm with Jack on the white, but rather than pork I use either a Zoom swimming chunk or a white lizard or creature bait so there are a number of appendages moving in the water.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 03:32 PM   #5
mblk181
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mblk181

When placing a chunk, either plastic or pork on the jig, be sure the legs of the chunk are on the bottom. Better action by far.

When swimming, try about 8 feet of water and cast parallel to the bank or structure........let it hit bottom, then lift just a little as you reel in as slowly as possible...you want it to be very close to bottom at all times. If a weedy bottom, try ticking the weeds on the way in. Some fellows let it pause from time to time and count down until the line goes limp, thus making a mental map of the bottom......if it's been a count of three pretty steadily and then you get a two, set the hook...it's either a hump or a fish.
mblk181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-05, 10:20 PM   #6
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466
Default Re: swimming a jighttp://www.lurenet.com/catalog.a

This is a new swimming jig (Booyah brand) that was designed by an online friend who I met on the BDO boards a few years ago. He's been advocating the technique for years.

http://www.lurenet.com/catalog.aspx?catid=BYSwimnJig
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 01:42 AM   #7
RebelBasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to RebelBasser

A couple of friends of mine won a tournament yesterday on Wilson Lake by swimming a jig. They were targeting boat docks close to points that entered creeks, coves, etc. Their technique was to pitch it as far back under the dock as they could and let it hit bottom. The retrieve would be similar to working a jerkbait but without pausing it. They caught a total of 13 largemouth. Their 5 fish limit was 18.3 lbs.
RebelBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 01:45 AM   #8
dwmfishin
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dwmfishin

sweet. Thanks guys. Im goin to get one now. I think that i'll try white, ive never tried that color before. It always seemed... unreal. Same with bubble gum pink... ~discgolfer
dwmfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-05, 01:49 AM   #9
Rich
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rich

I thought the same thing, DG, until I caught fish on both. They definitely work.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.