Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-10, 10:13 PM   #1
Krtismo
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Problems for a 1st time Fluorocarbon user.

Hey everybody, fishing has been a very part-time hobby for me my whole life until this year it's become a full-time hobby, so I'm learning and relearning how to fish.

Today I just bought a new spinning rod/reel and decided to give fluorocarbon a try (12lb Berkley Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon Professional Grade). I took it down to the local lake to give it a try and I had a really hard time managing this stuff, if I left any slack in the line it would just coil off the spool and it was driving me nuts. I did my best to spool the flouro based on the video that Kevin posted in the video's section but the line was just coiling off the factory spool then too.

Is this just because the line is new? Or will I always be dealing with this? Is this stuff easier to use on a baitcaster?

Thanks for the help!

-Kurt

Last edited by Krtismo; 07-17-10 at 11:17 PM.
Krtismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 10:24 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Yes! It'll be easier on a bait caster! I wouldn't use 12lb flouro on a spinning reel either. I wound never go higher than 10. Plus, I don't think that's the most manageable line either. I hear that InvizX is good for spinning reels too.

You could also try getting some KVD line and lure to limp it up some.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-17-10, 10:30 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It's a lot easier to use such heavy line on a baitcaster. I normally stick to 8# max on 2500 size reels and maybe you can go up to 10# on a 3500 sized reel. It is somewhat the nature of the line to be less limp than mono in the first place too.

I've heard of some tricks like getting it spooled up and then taking the spool off and letting it soak in water (warm?) overnight. I'm not sure about that so hopefully another member can chime in to help out. The KVD Line and Lure Conditioner does help but only to a point. What size of reel are you using?

BTW, I did the same thing a few years ago when I started fishing seriously with heavy P-Line CXX and it really was unbearable.

Edit: I'm slow at typing I guess, Boss covered it pretty well. Also welcome to the forum!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 10:31 PM   #4
Jrob78

That, my friend, is one of the main reasons people don't like fluoro. It is stiff and hard to work with. 12 lb is probably too heavy to use easily on spinning gear. KVD Line and Lure Conditioner will help out with the memory but might not be enough to make it pleasant to fish.

Welcome to the forum Kurt!

Edit: Apparently I'm even slower than Bender.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 10:48 PM   #5
Kevin
Administrator

Hi Kurt,

Sorry to hear about your initial troubles with fluoro.

I have good news and bad news...

The bad news is you bought one of the least manageable fluorocarbons. Trilene 100% has to be one of the stiffest on the market. I've had to use this line in a pinch a couple times and hated every second of it. It seems to be a reliable line, but is just plain stiff. But don't feel bad for giving it a try, it is the most marketed fluoro and it is good to at least try every brand.

Also, putting 12 lb test on a spinning reel can be somewhat tough to deal with. As the others mentioned, 8 lb is about the max for a bass spinning reel, with 10 lb being the highest you'd ever want to use. Anything heavier should ideally be a baitcaster, but I understand not everyone fishes casting gear too.

The good news is, you can buy Seaguar AbrazX or InvizX. Both are very supple and soft and cast much better than Trilene 100%. I think you'll see a huge difference in handling switching to these lines.

Don't give up quite yet! The advantages to fluorocarbon lines far outweigh (in my opinion) the few drawbacks. Once you nail down the right size/brand/spooling technique (use the one in my video), you'll have a much better experience.

Get away from Trilene 100% fast and move into a better fluoro like Seaguar's InvizX or AbrazX. You'll enjoy fishing so much more.
Old 07-17-10, 10:55 PM   #6
Jim80

Kurt i have triline 100% on a spinning reel that i have been fishing with for the past two seasons ( I know i should change it already but I'm being lazy about it ) like said above going over 10lb is a bit touchy , but i would try a line conditioner for now and then switch to seaguar Invizx later

Jim
Old 07-17-10, 11:15 PM   #7
Krtismo
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
The bad news is you bought one of the least manageable fluorocarbons. Trilene 100% has to be one of the stiffest on the market.
I had giftcard to Dicks Sporting Goods and that seemed to be the best flouro they had, I guess I know better for next time.

Also, This review gave me some confidence:
http://www.tackletour.com/reviewtrilenefc.html

Quote:
Also, putting 12 lb test on a spinning reel can be somewhat tough to deal with. As the others mentioned, 8 lb is about the max for a bass spinning reel, with 10 lb being the highest you'd ever want to use. Anything heavier should ideally be a baitcaster, but I understand not everyone fishes casting gear too.
Dang! I screwed this one up!
All the research I did and I guess I never came across the info.

Also, my limited budget means I only have one baitcaster and it has 40lb braid on it. I might bring this spinning setup back and spend a few extra bucks for a second caster. I love the one I have.

Thanks a TON for the fast and very helpful responses, thanks especially to Kevin for this site! I feel like I found a goldmine! You'll be seeing more of me.
Old 07-18-10, 10:02 AM   #8
keithdog

I don't know what the other guys in here will think of this but I put 20 pound braid on my spinning outfit a couple years ago and I love it. It's very thin diameter and limpness works great on my spinning gear. I use it primarily for light weight applications near cover.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 10:12 AM   #9
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I don't know what the other guys in here will think of this but I put 20 pound braid on my spinning outfit a couple years ago and I love it. It's very thin diameter and limpness works great on my spinning gear. I use it primarily for light weight applications near cover.

Kieth, I think that light braid on a spinning reel is fine. Use yourself a FC leader and you have the best of both words, low visibility and great sensitivity. Might hurt casting distance a Little but I think it is a great setup up for drop shoting.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 10:39 AM   #10
sweet beaver
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Kurt i have triline 100% on a spinning reel that i have been fishing with for the past two seasons ( I know i should change it already but I'm being lazy about it ) like said above going over 10lb is a bit touchy , but i would try a line conditioner for now and then switch to seaguar Invizx later

Jim

i agree totally.i use 8lb trilene flouro and it is great line,i think your main problem is the heavier line more than brand.you will have memory issues with the seaguar line in 12 lb too,it is overrated just like most fluoros too.
sweet beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 11:08 AM   #11
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Kieth, I think that light braid on a spinning reel is fine. Use yourself a FC leader and you have the best of both words, low visibility and great sensitivity. Might hurt casting distance a Little but I think it is a great setup up for drop shoting.
I hate tying leaders with a passion it's all braid our all fluorocarbon or mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet beaver View Post
i agree totally.i use 8lb trilene flouro and it is great line,i think your main problem is the heavier line more than brand.you will have memory issues with the seaguar line in 12 lb too,it is overrated just like most fluoros too.

Trust me when i tell you I was a Seaguar guy and tried the triline 100% fluorocarbon when it came out , the seaguar is much more manageable the only reason I have not taken the triline off my spinning reel is pure laziness. While on the other hand i hardly use a line conditioner with the seaguar hands down a better line imo

Jim
Old 07-18-10, 01:24 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I've switched over to braid on both my spinning reel. 10lb with a 6-8lb fluoro leader on my dropshot rod, and 15lb with an 8-10lb fluoro leader on do-all spinning rod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
While on the other hand i hardly use a line conditioner with the seaguar hands down a better line imo

Jim
I use a KVD L&L on all my non-braided lines. It does help, but either way Seaguar InvisX is the most manageable fluorocarbon I've used.

My buddy compared his Trilene 100% (with KVD L&L once a week) to my Seaguar InvisX (with KVD L&L about once a month) and the Trilene seemed like wire, lol.

But other than that, everybody seemed to cover all the main points. 8lb or less fluoro or mono on spinning reels.

BB
Old 07-18-10, 04:20 PM   #13
Kevin
Administrator

I really like using 8 lb. braid with about a 7 foot 8 lb. fluoro leader for spinning reels. I use a double uni-knot which I've been tying for years. The double uni is extremely easy to tie and has no problem going through the guides on spinning rods at those low test sizes.

You get rid of the annoying coils and can cast so much further with the smaller diameter line. Not to mention the added sensitivity.

I've never broken off a fish at the uni knot. NEVER.

Definitely recommend trying braid with a fluoro leader.
Old 07-18-10, 05:13 PM   #14
Krtismo
BassFishin.Com Member

So now I'm torn a bit....

Would braid with a fluoro leader be a lot more manageable than 6lb InvisX or just a little more manageable?

If I used the braid with flouro leader, I would have to still have to buy two $20 spools of line, and I would rather not do that since I've already wasted $20 on the wrong line. I don't want to spend $60 in line for a $40 rod/reel combo.
Old 07-19-10, 12:21 AM   #15
Bender

I really like braid with a leader but still use straight fluoro on some rigs too. I'm not sure why really. Maybe it's because on drop shot rigs I break off a lot and wouldn't want to have to tie a new leader every so often. I don't know if you are using that as a technique specific rod or not but I would suggest 8# since I have lost a few bigger fish on 6# InvizX. The lighter line might be a little easier to manage and might get you a few more bites in those clear lakes but for me I'd rather have less bites and land them all. It's a tough choice since 8# is tough as nails but I have had 6# break.

Also if you go the braid route save yourself A LOT of headaches and get a spool of P-Line CFX fluoro leader line. It is tough and a bit wiry but for a leader it doesn't matter. They should have that at the Gander over on 28th St. I tried the Suffix leader this year since it is $6 instead of $8 and it is not worth it, very weak compared to CFX. I use 8# leader for most things on a spinning reel with braid. I forget who on here suggested the CFX but I would sure like to thank him. Or you could even use the 12# that you have as a leader but the knot will be a little big and might get hung up coming through the tip and guides.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 03:43 AM   #16
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I just spooled up my citica with seaguar invizx, its the first fluro experience ive ever had. And its great.
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 09:10 AM   #17
BigBassin144

You could use 20lb braid and still use your 12lb Trilene as a leader if you wanted to.

Braid will be more manageable if for only one reason: it does not exhibit line twist like a fluoro or mono does. While the line may twist, it won't show it in the form of jumping off the spool or twisting up when there is slack in the line.

However, braid does have it's downsides. On a cheaper rod with ceramic guides, braid will probably make grooves in them. This will lead to the braid fraying and breaking easier. Another downside to braid , especially on spinning reels, is its tendency to get wind knots. You'll be fine reeling in and on the next cast, a knot that comes out of nowhere. I find this happens much more often if you have too much braid on the spool though.

BB
Old 07-19-10, 11:17 AM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
You could use 20lb braid and still use your 12lb Trilene as a leader if you wanted to.

Braid will be more manageable if for only one reason: it does not exhibit line twist like a fluoro or mono does. While the line may twist, it won't show it in the form of jumping off the spool or twisting up when there is slack in the line.

However, braid does have it's downsides. On a cheaper rod with ceramic guides, braid will probably make grooves in them. This will lead to the braid fraying and breaking easier. Another downside to braid , especially on spinning reels, is its tendency to get wind knots. You'll be fine reeling in and on the next cast, a knot that comes out of nowhere. I find this happens much more often if you have too much braid on the spool though.

BB
Actually most guides have ceramic inserts, Sic guides are ceramic. Really cheap guides will have stainless steel inserts. You should be okay using aluminum oxide guides (ceramic) and better with braid.

From Fuji:

Quote:
Silicon Carbide or SiC is one of the most advanced ceramics available today. It’s the hardest and most durable in Fuji’s lineup and because of this, SiC Guides are particularly well suited for braided line. They also utilize Fuji’s Diamond Polishing and boast one of the smoothest rings around. SiC rings were also the first ever to be mounted directly to the frame, thus reducing weight, increasing heat dissipation and amplifying line sensitivity. They’ll take whatever you throw through’em!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-10, 11:27 AM   #19
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Actually most guides have ceramic inserts, Sic guides are ceramic. Really cheap guides will have stainless steel inserts. You should be okay using aluminum oxide guides (ceramic) and better with braid.

From Fuji:
Interesting, I didn't realize that they were all ceramic.

So I guess I should say that cheaper braid will grove some guides on cheaper rods.

BB
Old 07-19-10, 02:58 PM   #20
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You could also give the new Stren Fluorocast a try. I know my Dick's Sporting Goods carries it. It has some memory issues that can be managed with KVD's line and lure conditioner, but it's not as bad as the Trilene 100%. I've been using it for about the past month and like it so far.
Old 07-19-10, 07:44 PM   #21
Cavs1123

First of all, I would use 8lb floro on a spinning reel. But dont feel bad because when I first started, I was using 15 Also you might wanna try some KVD Line and Lure Conditioner on it. It really helps. Good luck with the floro!
Old 07-19-10, 10:35 PM   #22
Krtismo
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, I have some good news! The spinning Rod/Reel that I just bought started to have issues with the drag, so I brought it back to the store and they gave me a replacement and even replaced the 12lb trilene with 6lb InvisX for free!!! I also downsized from a 6'6" rod with 30 size reel to a 6' rod and 20 size reel. I also bought some KVD L&L for a little extra help.

So I went down to the local pond tonight to give it a try and I'm a HAPPY MAN! The line behaved perfectly and the new rod and reel are the perfect size. I caught 3 bass in 45 mins just shore casting a soft jerkbait, and then caught another with a frog on my baitcaster w/ Braid.

I love it when everything works the way its supposed to!

Thanks a ton for all of the help everybody!
Old 07-20-10, 06:40 PM   #23
keithdog

Thats great news Kristmo. Glad to see your issues were resoulved! Happy casting my friend.
Old 07-20-10, 07:33 PM   #24
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krtismo View Post
So now I'm torn a bit....

Would braid with a fluoro leader be a lot more manageable than 6lb InvisX or just a little more manageable?

If I used the braid with flouro leader, I would have to still have to buy two $20 spools of line, and I would rather not do that since I've already wasted $20 on the wrong line. I don't want to spend $60 in line for a $40 rod/reel combo.

No need for the leader and I am speaking as a user of 6# invizx. It will seem like a night and day difference compared to what you have now. It is optional, but an economical one. The choice is yours.

Unless, you want to try it. If you haven't used braid, you will be amazed at its ability to transmit feedback to use. If used as a main line, coupled with an fc leader, you will receive as already mentioned the best of both worlds. And because of the leader, the amount of braid should remain practically the same. So the price upfront is high but as long as the braid doesn't wear, it will last a very, very, very, long time.

I am leaning toward going this way myself. Invizx is my fc line of choice.
Old 07-25-10, 07:29 PM   #25
keithdog

Quote:
Hi Kurt,

Sorry to hear about your initial troubles with fluoro.

I have good news and bad news...

The bad news is you bought one of the least manageable fluorocarbons. Trilene 100% has to be one of the stiffest on the market. I've had to use this line in a pinch a couple times and hated every second of it. It seems to be a reliable line, but is just plain stiff. But don't feel bad for giving it a try, it is the most marketed fluoro and it is good to at least try every brand.

The good news is, you can buy Seaguar AbrazX or InvizX. Both are very supple and soft and cast much better than Trilene 100%. I think you'll see a huge difference in handling switching to these lines.
Kevin, I've been using the Trilene 100% flourocarbon and have been wanting to try something else because it is so stiff as you said. It's strong and sensitive, but very stiff. Could you tell me what is the difference between the AbrazX and InvizX? I'd be using it for pitchin soft plastics on my Revo STX around cover.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.